British Speedway Forum
Sign in to follow this  
Ray Stadia

Being called a 'bad name'

2 hours ago, geoff100 said:

Seems to me a second rate player trying to cash in on the race card, why not tell the press when it happened ?

Stayed long enough too, why didn't he report at the start and mayby it could have nipped in the bud?

3 hours ago, Haza said:

Why isn’t calling an Australian and Aussie racist? Why is that deemed ok yet calling a person from Pakistan the P word is racist try explaining that one to a young child ? 

Because Aussie isn't a racist term, whilst P**i clearly is and always has been used in derogatory and insulting manner in the UK (even if it didn't have these connations in Australia historically). I'm not sure why anyone is really trying to argue otherwise, whether it's said directly or otherwise.  

The Rafiq case is obviously complicated because he's angry about his failed career, there are possibly lifestyle factors involved there, and sports teams are full of immature laddish behaviour. I think he's being a bit unfair to Root for example, as he's not been accused of racism but probably made the wrong choice of words when trying to smooth things over. He'd also have been a young man in that environment, so it's actually to Root's credit if he wasn't part of it all.  

However, no-one should have to put up with idiotic comments in the workplace, especially of the sort attributed to Ballance, whether a first, second or third rate player. It's pathetic even if was intended to be banter. 

Of course Rafiq is not likely to complain whilst he's playing, and especially not in team with a culture like that, because he probably feared for his job. Not hard to understand. 

• Like 7

52 minutes ago, Humphrey Appleby said:

Because Aussie isn't a racist term, whilst P**i clearly is and always has been used in derogatory and insulting manner in the UK (even if it didn't have these connations in Australia historically). I'm not sure why anyone is really trying to argue otherwise, whether it's said directly or otherwise.  

The Rafiq case is obviously complicated because he's angry about his failed career, there are possibly lifestyle factors involved there, and sports teams are full of immature laddish behaviour. I think he's being a bit unfair to Root for example, as he's not been accused of racism but probably made the wrong choice of words when trying to smooth things over. He'd also have been a young man in that environment, so it's actually to Root's credit if he wasn't part of it all.  

However, no-one should have to put up with idiotic comments in the workplace, especially of the sort attributed to Ballance, whether a first, second or third rate player. It's pathetic even if was intended to be banter. 

Of course Rafiq is not likely to complain whilst he's playing, and especially not in team with a culture like that, because he probably feared for his job. Not hard to understand. 

Why is aussie not a racist saying yet p***** clearly is in your words ?

• Like 1

Who do I complain to about being called Wee Man for most of my adult life? Or maybe about some people who call me Big Man is that an insult? :blink::cheers:

Edited by tyretrax

More fuss about this in the media than the grooming gangs, says it all really. 

• Like 5

17 hours ago, geoff100 said:

Thé mère fact that you won’t even type the word shows that you know it’s wrong 

56 minutes ago, Jonny the spud said:

Thé mère fact that you won’t even type the word shows that you know it’s wrong 

The word is simply a shortened version of Pakistani, as Aussie is a shortened version of Australian, therefore, they are similar. But, society and certainly the Asian community has decided it's a derogatory term. I watched a film on Netflix the other day, it was a 15 film and the 'C' word was used. I was surprised and a bit dumb struck that the 'C' word is acceptable for 15 year olds. Obviously 15 year olds know the word and many may use it, but is it acceptable to be used in a 15 film? Words can be sensitised and desensitised.   

• Like 2

In cumbria  workington and whitehaven miners and rugby players and  decent folk have for years called eachother "jam eaters" can u imagine anyone going to the media and complaining about it !

• Haha 1

22 hours ago, geoff100 said:

I was listening to somebody on the radio the other day dancing around calling somebody from New Zealand a kiwi! Or soon to be K word

3 hours ago, Ray Stadia said:

The word is simply a shortened version of Pakistani, as Aussie is a shortened version of Australian, therefore, they are similar.

I clearly remember the intro to Channel 9's cricket coverage, must have been a world cup and even in that intro the song referred to the the Pakistanis as Paki's and the West Indians as Windies.

Offence is not always given but often taken.

Edited by iainb
  • Like 2

16 minutes ago, iainb said:

I clearly remember the intro to Channel 9's cricket coverage, must have been a world cup and even in that intro the song referred to the the Pakistanis as Paki's and the West Indians as Windies.

Offence is not always given but often taken.

Yes, because it wasn't offensive in Australia in the past because it wasn't used in an offensive way. The term really isn't used though now as the media there has become more aware of the international connotations.

I'm sure you know very well that the P-word is a highly derogatory term in the UK, and has been for at least 50 years. What makes any word offensive - who knows - but the fact that some are trying to argue that it's just some sort of endearment really demonstrates a lot of the issue.

Edited by Humphrey Appleby
  • Like 2

29 minutes ago, Ray Stadia said:

The word is simply a shortened version of Pakistani, as Aussie is a shortened version of Australian, therefore, they are similar. But, society and certainly the Asian community has decided it's a derogatory term.

It’s not that simple. Why should an Indian or Bangladeshi or anyone else from those parts not from Pakistan find it acceptable to be called a Pakistani when they aren’t? Those countries do not get on.

Many Irish whether on holiday in Europe or the commonwealth get called Brits. Mainly through appearance and shared language, lots find it offensive but put up with it.

Edited by Deano
  • Like 1

Just now, Humphrey Appleby said:

What makes any word offensive - who knows

I was discussing the "4 hours at the Capitol" documentary (which is an excellent watch btw) with my mum the other week, she said she didn't like it because of all the bad language in it, a lot of F bombs were dropped. I said to her you didn't like it because of the language but didn't even mention all the violence and actually seeing somebody shot dead on screen... which I found shocking... go figure!

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Deano said:

It’s not that simple. Why should an Indian or Bangladeshi or anyone else from those parts not from Pakistan find it acceptable to be called a Pakistani when they aren’t? Those countries do not get on.

Many Irish whether on holiday in Europe or the commonwealth get called Brits. Mainly through appearance and shared language, lots find it offensive but put up with it.

And also, in other countries, whether you are Irish, Northern Irish, Welsh, Scottish, get called 'English', which must get up their nose! The Germans, during the 2nd world war, constantly referred to being at war with England! How many New Zealanders are mistaken as Australians? There are many examples.  

44 minutes ago, Ray Stadia said:

The word is simply a shortened version of Pakistani, as Aussie is a shortened version of Australian, therefore, they are similar. But, society and certainly the Asian community has decided it's a derogatory term. I watched a film on Netflix the other day, it was a 15 film and the 'C' word was used. I was surprised and a bit dumb struck that the 'C' word is acceptable for 15 year olds. Obviously 15 year olds know the word and many may use it, but is it acceptable to be used in a 15 film? Words can be sensitised and desensitised.   

Monty Panesar was on TV talking about it recently, making sensible distinctions between banter and aggression. He he said when he was in Australia he was walking down to fine leg and someone shouted “ Where’s your elephant ? “ and he replied “It’s got stuck in Customs” . Everyone laughed, no offence intended and none taken. But all that is a long way from more aggressive use of language. When I first heard the word P.aki it was in the context of Paki-Bashing which is highly offensive.

• Like 2