British Speedway Forum
Sign in to follow this  
Ray Stadia

Being called a 'bad name'

To me there are obvious words that are offensive and i don't use them.

But i do find that these days someone will find offence in almost anything and everything to the point where i am not sure what i can and can't say anymore.

I even thought twice about posting my views on here in case i offended someone with my point of view.

• Like 8

It would appear, Azeem Rafiq might have 'shot himself in the foot', according to the news today! 

• Like 1

On 11/16/2021 at 2:05 PM, Ray Stadia said:

I wonder how many retired speedway riders there are, who have been mentally scarred, by being called a 'bad name' by the rest of the team, management or promoter? :unsure:

Oh jesus no, issues of race being discussed on a speedway forum.   I can't bear to look but can I have a pound every time one of you says the word Snowflake?

N.B: I am a snowflake myself, hence not being able to look

• Haha 1

On 11/16/2021 at 2:05 PM, Ray Stadia said:

I wonder how many retired speedway riders there are, who have been mentally scarred, by being called a 'bad name' by the rest of the team, management or promoter? :unsure:

I will just quickly say though Ray you sound like you're being wilfully divisive and we don't need it on a Speedway forum.  I'm sure there's lots of horrible little social media groups on which you already discuss this???

18 minutes ago, HackneyHawk said:

I will just quickly say though Ray you sound like you're being wilfully divisive and we don't need it on a Speedway forum.  I'm sure there's lots of horrible little social media groups on which you already discuss this???

24 minutes ago, HackneyHawk said:

Oh jesus no, issues of race being discussed on a speedway forum.   I can't bear to look but can I have a pound every time one of you says the word Snowflake?

N.B: I am a snowflake myself, hence not being able to look

I will just quickly say, the trouble with 'wokes' and the trouble with 'snowflakes' is nobody outside their bubble, is allowed to have an opinion! I hope that was quick enough for you! :) 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Ray Stadia said:

I will just quickly say, the trouble with 'wokes' and the trouble with 'snowflakes' is nobody outside their bubble, is allowed to have an opinion! I hope that was quick enough for you! :) 

I will just quickly say, the trouble with anti-'wokes' is that they seem to think that no-one should disagree with their opinion.

No-one has stopped you stating your opinion on here, but others equally have the right to take issue with it. 

• Like 2

This may be slightly off topic and maybe the Jokes thread is the correct place but...watch on YouTube Benny Hill... Mr. Chow Mein auditions as a ventriloquist. Some may think this racist but I don’t, it’s really funny.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, Humphrey Appleby said:

I will just quickly say, the trouble with anti-'wokes' is that they seem to think that no-one should disagree with their opinion.

No-one has stopped you stating your opinion on here, but others equally have the right to take issue with it. 

I haven't stated an opinion, I was merely asking whether speedway had had any issues. I haven't stated I am anti-woke. Everyone has the right to an opinion. But in my experience, people who are woke or are snowflake seem to think opinion is one way.....theirs. So, respectfully, wind your neck in! 

• Like 1

On 11/18/2021 at 4:01 AM, Ray Stadia said:

And also, in other countries, whether you are Irish, Northern Irish, Welsh, Scottish, get called 'English', which must get up their nose! The Germans, during the 2nd world war, constantly referred to being at war with England! How many New Zealanders are mistaken as Australians? There are many examples.  

As an Englishman living in the US, I get tired of being asked, "Are you Australian"?" Or Scottish? A few months ago, somebody said they'd met a Scot - and he sounded just like me! Then I have to explain that Wales is not a part of England. And that Northern Ireland is a part of the United Kingdom and not Ireland.

• Like 1

On 11/18/2021 at 4:15 AM, E I Addio said:

Monty Panesar was on TV talking about it recently, making sensible distinctions between banter and aggression. He he said when he was in Australia he was walking down to fine leg and someone shouted “ Where’s your elephant ? “ and he replied “It’s got stuck in Customs” . Everyone laughed, no offence intended and none taken. But all that is a long way from more aggressive use of language. When I first heard the word P.aki it was in the context of Paki-Bashing which is highly offensive.

Where the world has gone crazy is that, not only can we not laugh at each other - WE HAVE LOST THE ABILITY TO LAUGH AT OURSELVES! Part of being British is being able to take the piss out of each other - and ourselves.

• Like 3

4 minutes ago, Ray Stadia said:

I haven't stated an opinion, I was merely asking whether speedway had had any issues. I haven't stated I am anti-woke. Everyone has the right to an opinion. But in my experience, people who are woke or are snowflake seem to think opinion is one way.....theirs. So, respectfully, wind your neck in! 

You did state an opinion about 'wokes' and 'snowflakes', and you've just repeated it regardless of what the thread was originally about. That was in response to HackneyHawk stating an opinion which you disagreed with.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, chunky said:

Where the world has gone crazy is that, not only can we not laugh at each other - WE HAVE LOST THE ABILITY TO LAUGH AT OURSELVES! Part of being British is being able to take the piss out of each other - and ourselves.

So, so true....

I used to be called a four eyed, deaf, fat 'basted'.  But I've adressed it and lost a bit of weight. :D

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Humphrey Appleby said:

You did state an opinion about 'wokes' and 'snowflakes', and you've just repeated it regardless of what the thread was originally about. That was in response to HackneyHawk stating an opinion which you disagreed with.

Well there you go, we had a healthy exchange of opinion. :)

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, chunky said:

As an Englishman living in the US, I get tired of being asked, "Are you Australian"?" Or Scottish? A few months ago, somebody said they'd met a Scot - and he sounded just like me! Then I have to explain that Wales is not a part of England. And that Northern Ireland is a part of the United Kingdom and not Ireland.

I spent a year in Vancouver and practically every person I met thought I was Australian.

14 minutes ago, Humphrey Appleby said:

What the **** is a woke. I read this word everywhere and I don’t have a clue.