British Speedway Forum
Sign in to follow this  
Ray Stadia

Being called a 'bad name'

I couldn't resist reading the rest of this thread, it was just too tempting.

Absolutely hilarious, better than even I could have imagined

I would have said depressing but speedway fans (myself included) are older white men so these opinions are dying out and gradually society is improving and healing

In response to the brilliant comment about Black people "NEVER" taking an interest in motorsport while one of the most successful british drivers and reigning world champion is a black chap, I could go on about it not being about black people being interested, it's about being given a fair chance......but I'll keep that to my snowflake, woke bubble :D

• Like 4

On 11/19/2021 at 7:18 PM, customhouseregular said:

There was a West Indian chap who was part  of our group at West Ham, though I admit I don’t remember any other ethnic minority fans, home or away.

I am Indian, originally from northern India. Have been following the Wolves since 1967. Used to go away as well but stopped going about 10 years ago, although still go to play-off finals if we get there.  Been to approximately 76 tracks but my list needs updating. Only current track I haven't been to is Kent, but also never got to the Isle of Wight (and never got to West Ham either, but remember our 29-49 win in 1969). Even my own family take the mickey out of me for this 'unusual' interest. But there again I also like rock/ambient music, real ale and sci-fi and they take the mickey out of those as well.  I collect Wolves programmes and have them from 1950 onwards. I also have all of the World FinaI programmes from 1936 onwards. I really have to assume that I am not typical of my generation !

I did take my son when he was young, but it did not stick, like virtually everybody else, football is the be all and end all for him. And bloody Man Utd at that. I, of course, support the football Wolves. Very handy that the colours are the same. :)

• Like 8

On 11/23/2021 at 1:02 PM, HackneyHawk said:

I couldn't resist reading the rest of this thread, it was just too tempting.

Absolutely hilarious, better than even I could have imagined

I would have said depressing but speedway fans (myself included) are older white men so these opinions are dying out and gradually society is improving and healing

In response to the brilliant comment about Black people "NEVER" taking an interest in motorsport while one of the most successful british drivers and reigning world champion is a black chap, I could go on about it not being about black people being interested, it's about being given a fair chance......but I'll keep that to my snowflake, woke bubble :D

First of all i feel i have to state that i am in no way a racist. We have a young black girl who lives next door who we have a good relationship with i pick up /drop off her 6 year old son at school when she has to go to work etc.

But i do think that the snowflake/woke points of view often creates a problem when there isn't one and in a lot of cases makes things worse.

Your post is a typical example of this. You have twisted things to fit your point of view.

Your comment. (I could go on about it not being about black people being interested, its about being given a fair chance.) is in my opinion in this case B/S.

First of all about Black people not being interested all you have to do to prove that this is the case is to look around the crowd at any speedway meeting and sadly you wont see many ethnic minority faces, you don't have to be given a chance to view a speedway meeting. Then there is a comment in a post from Beowulf a speedway fan of Indian decent who states that his own family take the micky out of him for his unusual interest. and that he says he is not typical of his generation. comments that indicate there is not much interest in motor sport from ethnic people straight from the horses mouth.

Then there are numerous posts of people posting the names of numerous ethnic minority riders that have been given a chance as you call it .My point is for the reason posted above there is not much interest from ethnic minority people. But those that have an interest have been given the chance in the sport the odd few ie Lindback have done very well the others named have not done as well just like a lot of white riders .

Then you mention a successful reigning world champion who is a black chap. If as you say ethnic people are not being given a fair chance how the hell did he become world champion without all the backing and support that takes .

We have both read the same thread you have taken from it what you have wished to see and i have done the same life's all about opinions .But its not a fact that either one of us is right.

Edited by B.V 72
  • Like 3

22 minutes ago, B.V 72 said:

Then you mention a successful reigning world champion who is a black chap. If as you say ethnic people are not being given a fair chance how the hell did he become world champion without all the backing and support that takes .

Because he was an exceptionally good driver from a relatively middle class background who couldn't be ignored.

I honestly don't think there's any particular racism in motorsport, but the fact remains there are very few ethnic minorities who participate for whatever reason. That is changing a bit - maybe because of Lewis Hamilton - but it can't simply be down to money.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, B.V 72 said:

First of all i feel i have to state that i am in no way a racist. We have a young black girl who lives next door who we have a good relationship with i pick up /drop off her 6 year old son at school when she has to go to work etc.

But i do think that the snowflake/woke points of view often creates a problem when there isn't one and in a lot of cases makes things worse.

Your post is a typical example of this. You have twisted things to fit your point of view.

Your comment. (I could go on about it not being about black people being interested, its about being given a fair chance.) is in my opinion in this case B/S.

First of all about Black people not being interested all you have to do to prove that this is the case is to look around the crowd at any speedway meeting and sadly you wont see many ethnic minority faces, you don't have to be given a chance to view a speedway meeting. Then there is a comment in a post from Beowulf a speedway fan of Indian decent who states that his own family take the micky out of him for his unusual interest. and that he says he is not typical of his generation. comments that indicate there is not much interest in motor sport from ethnic people straight from the horses mouth.

Then there are numerous posts of people posting the names of numerous ethnic minority riders that have been given a chance as you call it .My point is for the reason posted above there is not much interest from ethnic minority people. But those that have an interest have been given the chance in the sport the odd few ie Lindback have done very well the others named have not done as well just like a lot of white riders .

We have both read the same thread you have taken from it what you have wished to see and i have done the same life's all about opinions .But its not a fact that either one of us is right.

As the country, and city centres in particular, have become more ethnically diverse, Speedway doesnt seem to have done anything to try and engage the many thousands of those non white British people, living on their doorstep.. 

Although, to be fair, they haven't done much to attract the white British people who live local to a track either..

• Like 1

On 11/26/2021 at 11:35 AM, B.V 72 said:

I agree BV72 that there isn't a huge interest from people of minority ethnic backgrounds in motor sport.  

I don't twist things to sound bad because I find the whole thing frustrating and depressing and have no wish to make it worse than it is.  Also, you are accusing me of being dishonest which is insulting and childish.

Black people historically would not get a warm welcome in motorsport and would have to work harder at being accepted. Motorsport is notoriously unfriendly for white people let alone black people.  This is a fact.

The NHS have published recent data that says black mothers are 4 times more likely to die in childbirth than white. 

"Lead researcher, Prof Marian Knight, said: "Pregnant women get inequitable care for several reasons.

"Healthcare professionals often attribute their symptoms to pregnancy alone and they do not always end up getting the treatment they need because people can be incorrectly concerned about giving them medication.

"On top of that is the unconscious bias that black and Asian women can experience. It all adds up"

If that is the NHS, can you imagine what black people face in sport?

Your comments about some (a tiny number) of BAME people being involved in the sport is a bit silly.  The exception doesn't prove the rule does it?

You say we have taken different things from the thread and neither one of us is right........I'd suggest reading up on the history of race and equality in the UK from the early twentieth century until the present day.  I'm going to have to disagree with you that neither of us is right.

Unfortunately, as I predicted at the beginning of the thread I am a rare voice on a speedway forum about racial equality and I have horrible feeling that Speedway is in the predicament it is because of how out of step it is with the real (modern) world on many many isuues.

Edited by HackneyHawk

20 minutes ago, HackneyHawk said:

Black people historically would not get a warm welcome in motorsport and would have to work harder at being accepted. Motorsport is notoriously unfriendly for white people let alone black people.  This is a fact.

I don't see that as a fact, in my experience I would say that an interest in motorsport sees you being welcomed with open arms at any event. I have spent my entire lifetime around motorcycle competitions of various sorts and have yet to be made unwelcome anywhere.

Whether it be Trials, Speedway, MotoX, Grass track or for me most recently Flat track I have found them to be full of the friendliest most welcoming people of anywhere I go. I only have limited experience of other motorsports but certainly Rallycross and Truck racing are both very friendly. There are not many people from ethnic backgrounds involved generally but when they have been I have never seen them treated any differently to anybody else from inside the sport (fans might be different, but if they don't like you they will find something to ridicule you for, you can choose to laugh it off or take it to heart but it's no different to any other sport in that respect).

Generally speaking though I have found motorcycle sport to be very welcoming and to be the friendliest bunch of people you could ever hope to meet.

• Like 2

26 minutes ago, HackneyHawk said:

I agree BV72 that there isn't a huge interest from people of minority ethnic backgrounds in motor sport.  

I don't twist things to sound bad because I find the whole thing frustrating and depressing and have no wish to make it worse than it is.  Also, you are accusing me of being dishonest which is insulting and childish.

The NHS have published recent data that says black mothers are 4 times more likely to die in childbirth than white. 

"Lead researcher, Prof Marian Knight, said: "Pregnant women get inequitable care for several reasons.

"Healthcare professionals often attribute their symptoms to pregnancy alone and they do not always end up getting the treatment they need because people can be incorrectly concerned about giving them medication.

"On top of that is the unconscious bias that black and Asian women can experience. It all adds up"

Your comments about some (a tiny number) of BAME people being involved in the sport is a bit silly.  The exception doesn't prove the rule does it?

You say we have taken different things from the thread and neither one of us is right........I'd suggest reading up on the history of race and equality in the UK from the early twentieth century until the present day.  I'm going to have to disagree with you that neither of us is right.

Unfortunately, as I predicted at the beginning of the thread I am a rare voice on a speedway forum about racial equality and I have horrible feeling that Speedway is in the predicament it is because of how out of step it is with the real (modern) world on many many isuues.

I've had two Asian wives. Both have given birth. Neither died and both had the exact same care as anyone else. In fact, my first wife probably had more because she insisted on having a single room with a shower because that's what she would have had in her own country and she got exactly that.

I also feel that there will never be racial equality as long as the term BAME is being bandied about, because it separates people from white people by it's very definition. I actually find the term BAME to be an (albeit unintentional) insult to anyone it refers to.

Do you think that if a novice black kid turned up at, say, Belle Vue and went round the track like the new Michael Lee that nobody would want to sign him because of his skin colour? Personally, I reckon every team would want to snap him up straight away based on his ability .

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, HackneyHawk said:

No offence intended, all i was doing was trying to do was point out that we had read the same thread and both had a different opinion as to what we had read. The last part of my post says that we both have a different opinion  and that neither opinion is a fact its just an opinion.

But i do find that the conversations i have had with a snowflake/woke type person (in my opinion) they can never see the other persons point of view their view is always a fact. Its also my view that  i find that in most conversations i have had there point of view comes from what they have read on the fact filled internet or  in conversations with like minded people etc and not much through life  experiences there is a big difference.

The two posts below yours come from people who have had real life experiences of some of your points and they both differ from your point of view. I tend to believe real life experiences more than the internet.

I do know there are a lot of injustices in this world which need addressing but i do feel that the snowflake woke point of view is not the way to go about it they just tend to pi** people off.This is my last post to you as i know what ever i say will not change your point of view and i know you will be busy with your friends trying to get the term Christmas holidays banned .(how the hell is that going to change anything)

Again no offence intended just stating my opinion just like you.

Edited by B.V 72

I have never understood how treating people differently can ever lead to equality.

To me the idea of 'positive discrimination' is an abomination, if it is positive to one person it has to be negative to another and will only breed resentment.

On 11/20/2021 at 1:32 PM, Ray Stadia said:

Some people might be offended by blasphemous words! :nono:

Thankfully we’re in 2021 and most people regard him as a mythical character. 

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

44 minutes ago, JanAndersen said:

Thankfully we’re in 2021 and most people regard him as a mythical character. 

But you are disrespecting those people who choose to believe! 

On 12/1/2021 at 9:15 AM, Grachan said:

I also feel that there will never be racial equality as long as the term BAME is being bandied about, because it separates people from white people by it's very definition. I actually find the term BAME to be an (albeit unintentional) insult to anyone it refers to.

Thank you! Martin Luther King Jr. wanted integration; for everyone to be treated the same. These days, it's like everybody wants to keep us segrated by by applying meaningless and insulting tags on everyone and everything.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2