British Speedway Forum
Sign in to follow this  
Ray Stadia

Being called a 'bad name'

19 hours ago, chunky said:

Thank you! Martin Luther King Jr. wanted integration; for everyone to be treated the same. These days, it's like everybody wants to keep us segrated by by applying meaningless and insulting tags on everyone and everything.

What is happening, especially in the UK, is there is everyone else and there is that horrible scum, labelled 'white privileged'.   

2 hours ago, Ray Stadia said:

What is happening, especially in the UK, is there is everyone else and there is that horrible scum, labelled 'white privileged'.   

Not just in the UK; I myself have been accused of "white privilege" on several occasions.

A few years ago, a mate of mine applied for a job at a university. He had all the qualifications, and would have been a perfect fit. He didn't get it, and they didn't fill the position. Why? Because they didn't receive enough applications from minorities! How is that "white privilege"?

Of course it's wrong to be denied a job because you're not white - but why is it not wrong to be denied one because you are? Particularly when EVERYONE has the same opportunity to apply?

• Like 2

Will definitely now bow out of this thread on the grounds that it is an echo chamber of old fashioned nonsense.  Let's hope that Speedway i

20 hours ago, chunky said:

Not just in the UK; I myself have been accused of "white privilege" on several occasions.

A few years ago, a mate of mine applied for a job at a university. He had all the qualifications, and would have been a perfect fit. He didn't get it, and they didn't fill the position. Why? Because they didn't receive enough applications from minorities! How is that "white privilege"?

Of course it's wrong to be denied a job because you're not white - but why is it not wrong to be denied one because you are? Particularly when EVERYONE has the same opportunity to apply?

Having recruited many times at public sector institutions I'm afraid I don't believe this.  It sounds a little bit like the made up anti PC stories that most of you forum users probably vehemently believe.

These forum pages make for depressing reading in 2021 and it's a terrible shame that adults choose to believe and then write these laughable, childish anachronistic comments.  My advice to you all, is to read a book, watch documentaries, talk to people outside of your immediate cultural circle and stop reading the Sun/Star/Mail/Express

Hackney Hawk out (you'll all be pleased to hear)

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, HackneyHawk said:

Having recruited many times at public sector institutions I'm afraid I don't believe this.  It sounds a little bit like the made up anti PC stories that most of you forum users probably vehemently believe.

It doesn't matter how many times you have recruited, I am not a liar. It actually happened, and there are many similar cases over here.

Stop acting like God...

• Like 1

This is one of the funny, or sad stories that happen now and again. About a sculpture outside of a zoo

It is of a man climbing the neck of a Giraffe

Now the man looks black, and that to some is racist. The artist say's it is bronze and that is how the colour has changed over the 20 years since it was erected

But i also saw a Muhammed Ali interview with Parky the other day, when Ali was talking about every day racism in society and got on to the topic of Tarzan....the king of the jungle, and it was a white man. He beat up the local tribes and amazingly seeing as they had been there for thousands of years, Tarzan could talk to the animals, but the locals couldn't !!!

Anyway, if we follow Ali's examples/advice, then surely it would have been racist to have a white man climbing an African animals neck ?

As it is a proper racist story recently came up in relation to the same zoo. It included the grandfather of world cup winner Christian Karembeu, who along with others were put on display at the zoo in the early 1930s

Ausgestellt: Der Hamburger Geschäftsmann Carl Hagenbeck führte in seinem Zoo neben Tieren auch Menschen vor (undatiertes Foto)

https://www.mopo.de/hamburg/zoff-um-hagenbeck-skulptur-rassismus-kunstwerk-mann-mit-giraffe-soll-weg-36988154/

https://www.spiegel.de/geschichte/fussballer-christian-karembeu-tierpark-hagenbeck-soll-voelkerschau-aufarbeiten-a-8c958343-3e02-453e-862e-9a63a854b80c

1 hour ago, iris123 said:

This is one of the funny, or sad stories that happen now and again. About a sculpture outside of a zoo

It is of a man climbing the neck of a Giraffe

Now the man looks black, and that to some is racist. The artist say's it is bronze and that is how the colour has changed over the 20 years since it was erected

But i also saw a Muhammed Ali interview with Parky the other day, when Ali was talking about every day racism in society and got on to the topic of Tarzan....the king of the jungle, and it was a white man. He beat up the local tribes and amazingly seeing as they had been there for thousands of years, Tarzan could talk to the animals, but the locals couldn't !!!

Anyway, if we follow Ali's examples/advice, then surely it would have been racist to have a white man climbing an African animals neck ?

As it is a proper racist story recently came up in relation to the same zoo. It included the grandfather of world cup winner Christian Karembeu, who along with others were put on display at the zoo in the early 1930s

Ausgestellt: Der Hamburger Geschäftsmann Carl Hagenbeck führte in seinem Zoo neben Tieren auch Menschen vor (undatiertes Foto)

https://www.mopo.de/hamburg/zoff-um-hagenbeck-skulptur-rassismus-kunstwerk-mann-mit-giraffe-soll-weg-36988154/

https://www.spiegel.de/geschichte/fussballer-christian-karembeu-tierpark-hagenbeck-soll-voelkerschau-aufarbeiten-a-8c958343-3e02-453e-862e-9a63a854b80c

Things can be twisted, to suit someone's agenda.