British Speedway Forum
Sign in to follow this  
Ray Stadia

Being called a 'bad name'

I wonder how many retired speedway riders there are, who have been mentally scarred, by being called a 'bad name' by the rest of the team, management or promoter? :unsure:

Whilst trying to be diplomatic the P**i word is used commonly where i live, is it a form of racism ? Iv no idea, but they seem to be doing allright around here property ownership by Asian groups is sky high primarily in the form of HMO,s which in my opinion will cause things to build up into something even stronger in the years to come.I will repeat again the words used to me by a former workmate some years ago "we are far more racist than you" those were his exact words, think about it and was/is he right ?.

I once bumped into a speedway rider at a petrol station, but never in a supermarket as of yet. One day maybe

20 minutes ago, heathen52 said:

Whilst trying to be diplomatic the P**i word is used commonly where i live, is it a form of racism ? Iv no idea, but they seem to be doing allright around here property ownership by Asian groups is sky high primarily in the form of HMO,s which in my opinion will cause things to build up into something even stronger in the years to come.I will repeat again the words used to me by a former workmate some years ago "we are far more racist than you" those were his exact words, think about it and was/is he right ?.

I have never heard anyone address an Asian person directly with the 'P' word, nor have I used it directly to an Asian person. However, when discussing Asians in general and not within earshot of Asians, I have heard Asians being referred to as 'Ps' and in private, so have I. But many of us do it when referring to other nationalities. Nicknames for the French, Chinese, Irish, Germans, Australians etc etc. I live in Suffolk and have been called a few times, 'carrot cruncher'. Am I upset, not at all. 

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, ch958 said:

i really don't think this is the place

I don't see why not? Maybe there are institutional problems in speedway that need to be aired. Speedway is a sport just like other sports under the spotlight.  

38 minutes ago, Ray Stadia said:

I don't see why not? Maybe there are institutional problems in speedway that need to be aired. Speedway is a sport just like other sports under the spotlight.  

just my opinion mate

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Ray Stadia said:

Speedway in the spotlight, now there's wishful thinking.... 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

I’ve heard people called the P word. But to be fair it was in 1979. 

Some of us has moved on since then thank god. 

• Like 2

9 hours ago, Jonny the spud said:

I’ve heard people called the P word. But to be fair it was in 1979. 

Some of us has moved on since then thank god. 

I've never heard anyone called the 'P' word and I have moved in some 'dubious' circles in the past. As I've said, when talking about Asians collectively, yes I have and I have used it myself in private. I am surprised that in the cricket fraternity, it has been used, in direct reference to an individual or individuals! I did think the game was better than that. Regarding speedway, we have had a few 'dark skinned' riders and I can't say if they suffered racism. Therefore, speedway is not a good example of racism. But some riders, especially 'up and coming' riders, may have experienced various bullying. We all know that promoters can be 'hard nosed', therefore, I can imagine some riders have had an unpleasant time. 

Edited by Ray Stadia

Seems to me a second rate player trying to cash in on the race card, why not tell the press when it happened ?

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, geoff100 said:

Seems to me a second rate player trying to cash in on the race card, why not tell the press when it happened ?

Why isn’t calling an Australian and Aussie racist? Why is that deemed ok yet calling a person from Pakistan the P word is racist try explaining that one to a young child ? And I agree with what you say why wait until now to say anything in the cricketers case on a different not Conservative mp who’s accused Boirs dad of slapping her backside in 2003 why wait till now to say something? I’m not condoning any racist or sexual abuse in the slightest but why wait to speak out . 

• Like 3

9 minutes ago, Haza said:

Why isn’t calling an Australian and Aussie racist? Why is that deemed ok yet calling a person from Pakistan the P word is racist try explaining that one to a young child ? And I agree with what you say why wait until now to say anything in the cricketers case on a different not Conservative mp who’s accused Boirs dad of slapping her backside in 2003 why wait till now to say something? I’m not condoning any racist or sexual abuse in the slightest but why wait to speak out . 

...crossed my mind also.

• Like 3

It sounds to me that this case is more based around bullying rather than racism but the focus has turned to the racist element. Bullying goes on in all walks of life, I have come across it in the past and called it out when I could see that a deaf woman I was working with was being bullied. Work place bullying is prevalent and probably more so in sports clubs where there will be a less diverse set of "team" members. I've read about Geoffrey Boycott being tied naked to a chair by Ian Botham and you only have to listen to some of the stories that Andrew Flintoff tells and see the way he acts with other people to see that the guy is just a bully and in a competitive environment of Alpha males it does need somebody to call it out and eliminate it.

A worrying aspect of this is it's trial by media, it's a he said vs he said case, there is no evidence (as yet) other than those that have admitted what they have done and said. Look at the Harvey Weinstein case, no evidence ever produced just she said vs he said. Prince Andrew, not convicted of anything (admittedly due to him avoiding answering the accusations) but now he's openly being called a paedo on TV comedy shows. Jussie Smollet made allegations was instantly believed by all and sundry in the media until it was proved he was a fake. 

Edited by iainb
  • Like 2