British Speedway Forum
teaboy279

Kent 2022

Whilst central park seems gone for now, it does seem like there is a distinct possibility of retaining a National League side running out of Iwade. Hopefully if the venture comes off it gets the support to make the club viable and potentially keep the door open to a central park return in the higher leagues in the future.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

I think there may be at least one other possibly two more NDL teams in addition to Northside based on various rumours. Two existing Clubs running NDL too. 

Be great news if so after NDL looked dead a year ago. 

• Like 2

If we can reach agreement with our landlords  at Rye House our intention, BSPL permitting, would be to run NDL. 

If the agreement is reached quickly enough and the weather allows the work to complete in time to meet the BSPL deadline we could aim for 2022. This is rather unlikely but you never know.

With us, Oxford, Eastbourne and maybe Iwade all possibly running NDL sides in 2023 the situation could well be far less bleak in 18 months.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

10 hours ago, crescent girl said:

Add in Isle of Wight, who will surely be regretting their principled stance of a year ago by now......?

I'm sure they're having sleepless nights about it!

Why?

The people in charge of the NDL haven’t changed …..they still have to approve these NDL membership applications…. who knows whether they will support stand alone NDL clubs who wish to sign riders that the BSPL big boys don’t like ? 

If IoW had a successful season - good luck to them ….. maybe the route to profitable speedway is for new clubs to adopt the IoW model instead of accepting the constraints of racing in an NDL with the big boys of the BSPL calling the shots ? 

• Like 1

20 hours ago, RobMcCaffery said:

If we can reach agreement with our landlords  at Rye House our intention, BSPL permitting, would be to run NDL. 

If the agreement is reached quickly enough and the weather allows the work to complete in time to meet the BSPL deadline we could aim for 2022. This is rather unlikely but you never know.

With us, Oxford, Eastbourne and maybe Iwade all possibly running NDL sides in 2023 the situation could well be far less bleak in 18 months.

Thats great news,

Eastbourne will be running in the championship in 2023.

2022?

1 hour ago, M.D said:

Thats great news,

Eastbourne will be running in the championship in 2023.

2022?

IOW type fixtures? 

36 minutes ago, gazzac said:

IOW type fixtures? 

I don't think we will go that way no..

12 minutes ago, M.D said:

I don't think we will go that way no..

Ok, probably nothing till 2023 I would imagine?

39 minutes ago, gazzac said:

Ok, probably nothing till 2023 I would imagine?

There should be some news in a week or so but Championship is ruled out until 2023

• Like 1

Speedway's incomplete without the Eagles - and Canterbury, (but Kent will do instead).

I was hoping you'd be running the Seagulls in '23. Anyway, it's the track running that matters.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, RobMcCaffery said:

Speedway's incomplete without the Eagles - and Canterbury, (but Kent will do instead).

I was hoping you'd be running the Seagulls in '23. Anyway, it's the track running that matters.

And many more famous old teams that even in todays lean times would still draw a viable crowd!

While I appreciate the role Iwades played in providing a place for speedway riders to hone their skills since the early 70's, its not ideal as a League venue with its limited spectator facilities. But while Central Park was nigh on perfect as a Kentish League venue it looks like that option could be closed off for now, so Iwade will be able to fill in and will help to boost numbers in the National League.

I feel the Kent Kings belong at Central Park so any NL team operating out of Iwade should be called the Sittingbourne Crusaders which is what previous 3rd tier teams at Iwade have been called.

Edited by 25yearfan

1 hour ago, 25yearfan said:

I feel the Kent Kings belong at Central Park so any NL team operating out of Iwade should be called the Sittingbourne Crusaders which is what previous 3rd tier teams at Iwade have been called.

i'd agree, Kent Kings/Royals belong at Central Park.     Sittingbourne Crusaders sounds ideal for a team out of Iwade.