British Speedway Forum
Sign in to follow this  
iris123

UK born riders who returned as foreigners

Just mentioning Aussie rider Rob Jones on another thread, it seems he was actually born in the UK and emigrated ,then returned to the UK as an Australian. Guess he emigrated as a youngster

Also of course the famous pioneer Aussie Ron Johnson, who was born in Scotland

Plus alongside him was Frank Pearce born in Chiswick

Any others ?

Nikki Glanz was born in Swindon. Jason Crump born in Bristol. I believe Mark Loram was born in Malta

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, Technik said:

Nikki Glanz was born in Swindon. Jason Crump born in Bristol. I believe Mark Loram was born in Malta

Oh Nikki Glanz......sometimes the riders from around 20 years ago are more lost in my memory than those from 40 years ago. :t: Didn't he go on to be mechanic for another Dane ? Klindt maybe ?

Edited by iris123

Spencer Timmo (son of Rick) born in Oxford but returned to New Zealand before re-locating back to these shores. Now runs a second hand car showroom in Sandford-on-Thames. Nice bloke I have to add!

• Like 2

5 hours ago, steve roberts said:

Spencer Timmo (son of Rick) born in Oxford but returned to New Zealand before re-locating back to these shores. Now runs a second hand car showroom in Sandford-on-Thames. Nice bloke I have to add!

On the Kiwi side there is Bob Andrews who I believe represented both GB & NZ

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, Technik said:

On the Kiwi side there is Bob Andrews who I believe represented both GB & NZ

Yes, but he never returned from New Zealand...

1 hour ago, chunky said:

Yes, but he never returned from New Zealand...

Bob emigrated to New Zealand but came back to the UK for 5 seasons between 1968 and 1972, spending 4 with Cradley Heath and one with Hackney.  I don't think he had become a New Zealander when he returned for a season with Wolverhampton in 1965.

4 minutes ago, BL65 said:

Bob emigrated to New Zealand but came back to the UK for 5 seasons between 1968 and 1972, spending 4 with Cradley Heath and one with Hackney.  I don't think he had become a New Zealander when he returned for a season with Wolverhampton in 1965.

i get that, but it depends on whether "returning" means visiting, or re-settling in the UK. Of course, the same applies to Dave Gifford. I believe Bob represented GB in the 1964 World Final, so I doubt he would have become naturalised that quickly. I can't find a date...

4 minutes ago, chunky said:

i get that, but it depends on whether "returning" means visiting, or re-settling in the UK. Of course, the same applies to Dave Gifford. I believe Bob represented GB in the 1964 World Final, so I doubt he would have become naturalised that quickly. I can't find a date...

I know that it was mid-60s, but I have no precise date.  Bob was a fully-fledged New Zealander by the time he won the World Pairs with Mauger in 1969.

A very sketchy early 1970s memory on my part. Wasn't there a rider at Hackney who was said to be a Canadian?

Edited by Guest

There was indeed. Shawn Venables was his name. No relation to El Tel I assume.  

David East of Hull came back successfully as a Yankee. :drink:

22 hours ago, Bryce said:

There was indeed. Shawn Venables was his name. No relation to El Tel I assume.  

Not in the early 70's; that was 1988..

4 hours ago, chunky said:

Timmy Joe Shepherd i think was the guy at Hackney ?

Not sure anyone ever said he was Canadian though. Think he did come from an unusual speedway area though, rather than California

But he certainly wasn't born in the UK and returned as an American or Canadian, so not sure of the relevance here

Sadly seems he died in 2013

http://www.pulaskijournal.com/obituaries/2013-obituaries

Edited by iris123

6 hours ago, chunky said:

I stand corrected :) I didn't know there had been more than one Canadian at Hackney. Never too old to learn something new!