British Speedway Forum
Sign in to follow this  
steve roberts

Supreme Stylist

As much as we all get excited watching the "harum scarum" sat on the back mudguard brigade it's also pleasing watching those that appear in total control and stylish.

Top of my list would include the likes of Tommy Jansson, Dag Lovaas, Ronnie Moore and Mark Courtenay to name but four. There will be many others that come to mind and not generally regarded as world beaters by any means.

Edited by steve roberts

Bjorn Knutsson

• Like 1

4 hours ago, customhouseregular said:

Bjorn Knutsson

One rider I never saw unfortunately.

I'd have to go with Knutsson also- but here is one from way back- Geoff Pennikett- always looked like he was riding in an armchair. Not a heat leader but one of the original Newport Wasps, before them he rode for Long Eaton and after Newport went to Poole where I think he rode with Gote Nordin-another stylist.

• Like 1

At Monmore Green I always considered Gote Nordin & Bengt Jansson as the best stylists.

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, BOBBATH said:

I'd have to go with Knutsson also- but here is one from way back- Geoff Pennikett- always looked like he was riding in an armchair. Not a heat leader but one of the original Newport Wasps, before them he rode for Long Eaton and after Newport went to Poole where I think he rode with Gote Nordin-another stylist.

Anders Michanek was another armchair stylist I remember.

I always thought Todd Wiltshire looked very stylish on a bike. Wonder what he could have done if not for that bad injury that led to him taking a break in his career.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, BOBBATH said:

Nordin was another favourite of mine.

Yes, can't disagree with Bjorn Knutson. 

Also, I only saw him a few times at the end of his career, but I would add Jack Young.

On the subject of Knutsson and Nordin, my first Wimbledon Internationale was 1965. Both were competing, as were Fundin, Briggs and Harrfedt, along with a rider I came to admire, Charlie Monk. Knutsson won the world title that year, Briggs the previous and following years. Harrfeldt was second in 1966 and Fundin champion the following year. Nordin was a previous world number 3. It’s almost worth growing old to have memories and watching such great riders at the top of their profession.

• Like 3

57 minutes ago, customhouseregular said:

Nordin was another favourite of mine.

Another I was unfortunate not to see!

53 minutes ago, steve roberts said:

Another I was unfortunate not to see!

You really did miss a lot! Admittedly, a lot of them, I only saw them at the end of their careers, but I still managed to see them in action.

1 hour ago, chunky said:

You really did miss a lot! Admittedly, a lot of them, I only saw them at the end of their careers, but I still managed to see them in action.

...Nordin rode a few matches for Halifax in 1972 but not when they visited Oxford. There was talk of Tobjorn Harrysson riding for the "Rebels" but that's all what it was and the same was said of Sverre Harfeldt! We could have had a great side at Cowley based on riders rumoured...Jeff Sexton was another!

Edited by steve roberts