British Speedway Forum
Sign in to follow this  
steve roberts

Supreme Stylist

1 hour ago, steve roberts said:

That's fair enough...he was simply awesome riding for the "Cheethas" prior to the crash after a very indifferent confidence building season the year before. He was gating and passing at will and was not quite the same force around Cowley after his injury the season following...but I take your point that perhaps he was more of a force on the international stage thereafter?

I just remember in 2002 and 2003 his league form was blistering until he had his big serious crash which completely ruined his career and turned him from a world star with a big likelihood of winning a world title into an average 6 point league rider. 

edit - i stand corrected. His 2002 league form dipped on his 2001 form but he went to Poole and averaged nearly 9.00 in 2003 , baring in mind that was when all the top riders raced in the uk too. He was also joint top of the gps until his nasty crash i think. 

Edited by Pinny

16 minutes ago, Pinny said:

I just remember in 2002 and 2003 his league form was blistering until he had his big serious crash which completely ruined his career and turned him from a world star with a big likelihood of winning a world title into an average 6 point league rider. 

edit - i stand corrected. His 2002 league form dipped on his 2001 form but he went to Poole and averaged nearly 9.00 in 2003 , baring in mind that was when all the top riders raced in the uk too. He was also joint top of the gps until his nasty crash i think. 

Yes his 2002 season at Cowley was quite ordinary compared to his pre-injury crash the previous season. The way he beat riders round Cowley during 2001 were sometimes quite spectacular. I never saw much of him after he left Oxford but you're right he did go on to register some impressive averages it's just the way that he scored points in 2001 that impressed me.

On 11/24/2021 at 7:36 PM, customhouseregular said:

On the subject of Knutsson and Nordin, my first Wimbledon Internationale was 1965. Both were competing, as were Fundin, Briggs and Harrfedt, along with a rider I came to admire, Charlie Monk. Knutsson won the world title that year, Briggs the previous and following years. Harrfeldt was second in 1966 and Fundin champion the following year. Nordin was a previous world number 3. It’s almost worth growing old to have memories and watching such great riders at the top of their profession.

Saw charlie monk ride for barrow in 1978 at park road made it look so easy , was in the pits most meetings dont think i heard him speak !

6 minutes ago, racerback said:

per jonsson for me just made everything look easy 

Class act. I thought his best years were still ahead of him before the accident.

• Like 1

Speedway at Smallmead was never the same after Per’s accident. His team riding was amazing. Just a class act all round.

2 hours ago, prodons said:

Speedway at Smallmead was never the same after Per’s accident. His team riding was amazing. Just a class act all round.

The same was often said at Plough Lane after Tommy Jansson's tragic death. Incidently I'm re-reading the book about him.

Edited by steve roberts

22 minutes ago, steve roberts said:

The same was often said at Plough Lane after Tommy Jansson's tragic death. Incidently I'm re-reading the book about him.

It wasn't for me Steve

2 hours ago, iris123 said:

It wasn't for me Steve

I never saw Tommy ride at Wimbledon...infact saw very little of him to be honest. Used to enjoy my trips to Plough Lane and I guess the riders who struck a cord were  Larry Ross and Mick Hines during my visits?

Edited by steve roberts

3 minutes ago, steve roberts said:

I never saw Tommy ride at Wimbledon...

Last time I saw him was when he won the 1975 Laurels...

10 minutes ago, steve roberts said:

I never saw Tommy ride at Wimbledon...infact saw very little of him to be honest. Used to enjoy my trips to Plough Lane and I guess the riders who struck a cord were  Larry Ross and Mick Hines during my visits?

Well he was a fantastic rider anyway. But still developing and was with the Mauger troupe down under in the winter 75/76 with Egon Müller etc and came back in those early months a much improved rider

5 minutes ago, iris123 said:

Well he was a fantastic rider anyway. But still developing and was with the Mauger troupe down under in the winter 75/76 with Egon Müller etc and came back in those early months a much improved rider

I saw him last ride at Swindon losing to Martin Ashby in the Golden Helmet. Prior to that at White City's opening meeting.

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, chunky said:

Last time I saw him was when he won the 1975 Laurels...

I saw him at Reading at the end of the 1975 season competing in the Geoff Curtis Memorial Meeting. If I recall he was involved in a three rider run-off against John Davis and Dag Lovaas which Davis won? Tommy missed Wimbledon's visit to Cowley on Bank Holiday Monday that same season and John Boulger deputised in his absence.