British Speedway Forum
Sign in to follow this  
steve roberts

Supreme Stylist

I forgot about Les, but as usual you're right Norbold. I remember Les as one of the three heat leaders for Hackney in 1964 with Colin Pratt and Roy Trigg. I know that Les has passed away but did he continue to ride after 1964 into the British League days.

1 hour ago, BOBBATH said:

I forgot about Les, but as usual you're right Norbold. I remember Les as one of the three heat leaders for Hackney in 1964 with Colin Pratt and Roy Trigg. I know that Les has passed away but did he continue to ride after 1964 into the British League days.

He stayed with Hackney until he retired at the end of the 1970 season.

Does anyone recall Les riding in the old NL before the amalgamation into the BL in 1965. I think Les suffered some serious injuries in his earlier career.

22 minutes ago, BOBBATH said:

Does anyone recall Les riding in the old NL before the amalgamation into the BL in 1965. I think Les suffered some serious injuries in his earlier career.

Rayleigh (1949-1957, 1963)
Leicester (1956)
Poole (1958, 1959)
Ipswich (1960-1962)
Coventry (1962)
Hackney (1964-1970)

Think I remember seeing him at New Cross in 60 or 61.

Edited by andout

1 hour ago, BOBBATH said:

I saw Les at New Cross in NL days.

On ‎1‎/‎16‎/‎2022 at 9:31 PM, norbold said:

Les (or Legs as he was known!) McGillivray springs to mind.

Years ago I received a birthday card from the family and knowing my  interest in the sport, they chose one with a speedway rider on the front. I recognised Les McGillivray straight away as there was no mistaking his distinctive riding style. I've tried to find an image of the card on the Internet without success but was surprised to find so many others with a speedway theme.

Edited by Split