British Speedway Forum
Sign in to follow this  
steve roberts

Supreme Stylist

2 hours ago, steve roberts said:

...Nordin rode a few matches for Halifax in 1972 but not when they visited Oxford. There was talk of Tobjorn Harrysson riding for the "Rebels" but that's all what it was and the same was said of Sverre Harfeldt! We could have had a great side at Cowley based on riders rumoured...Jeff Sexton was another!

I saw Nordin a few times, and I remember seeing Toby at Wembley in 69 (only two races, mind you).

Sexton was one I wanted to see make it to the UK..

• Like 1

Soren Sjosten was quite a stylish rider, so short in stature that he just went where the bike took him, arms fully extended.  I'd have to go with Anders Michanek for the most stylish of that era, notable mention for Simmo, always immaculately turned out and had a nice easy riding style.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, nw42 said:

Soren Sjosten was quite a stylish rider, so short in stature that he just went where the bike took him, arms fully extended.  I'd have to go with Anders Michanek for the most stylish of that era, notable mention for Simmo, always immaculately turned out and had a nice easy riding style.

Sweden produced a string of stylish riders in the 60’s and 70’s. I rather liked Sjosten and Michanek myself.

John Berry always maintained that Billy Sanders had the most idealic style. It did alter with maturity.

The most stylish rider for me was Martin Ashby. His style was so neat and perfect. Every photo you see of him riding looks exactly the same.

• Like 4

1 hour ago, Grachan said:

The most stylish rider for me was Martin Ashby. His style was so neat and perfect. Every photo you see of him riding looks exactly the same.

Vastly under-rated rider...and that from someone down the road!

3 hours ago, Grachan said:

I liked Crashby. The first time I saw him I though I’d never seen anyone going so fast, but it was really that he had such a neat comfortable style. 

I am surprised nobody has mentioned Ken McKinlay or Leigh Adams. Leigh looked like an identical version of Hurricane- Ken  generation later.. Both were immaculately turned out on immaculate machinery, almost never had engine failure. Both just seemed to be in total control , letting the bike do the work, both seemed to be able to find grip anywhere, could ride any line, both brilliant team riders , with great motorcycle skills. 

Another one I like was Peter Karlson. Such a lovely style I could watch him going round on his own and feel excited.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, E I Addio said:

I liked Crashby. The first time I saw him I though I’d never seen anyone going so fast, but it was really that he had such a neat comfortable style. 

I am surprised nobody has mentioned Ken McKinlay or Leigh Adams. Leigh looked like an identical version of Hurricane- Ken  generation later.. Both were immaculately turned out on immaculate machinery, almost never had engine failure. Both just seemed to be in total control , letting the bike do the work, both seemed to be able to find grip anywhere, could ride any line, both brilliant team riders , with great motorcycle skills. 

Another one I like was Peter Karlson. Such a lovely style I could watch him going round on his own and feel excited.

My memory of Ken McKinlay was always as a Compo-type figure in a bobble hat riding for Scunthope. I remember being very surprised when I found out how good he had been earlier in his career.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Grachan said:

My memory of Ken McKinlay was always as a Compo-type figure in a bobble hat riding for Scunthope. I remember being very surprised when I found out how good he had been earlier in his career.

Same here. I remember being surprised that someone who looked so ancient was a sportsperson........ well i thought he should have been doing crown bowls or sheep dog trials with a pipe hanging out of his mouth instead of racing bikes 

Edited by iris123
  • Like 2

5 hours ago, E I Addio said:

I actually lost a lot of respect for Peter Karlsson when he rode for King's Lynn in 2001 when entering the first bend from the tapes and Lukas Dryml had clearly got the drop on him he drove thru' a gap that wasn't there and both ended up in the fence. Dryml withdrew from the remainder of the meeting with a badly damaged knee which affected him for the rest of the season and was never quite the same rider again in my opinion.

Edited by steve roberts

2 hours ago, iris123 said:

Same here. I remember being surprised that someone who looked so ancient was a sportsperson........ well i thought he should have been doing crown bowls or sheep dog trials with a pipe hanging out of his mouth instead of racing bikes 

He looked always looked older than the actually was, having gone grey quite young and his hair receding by his mid thirties., but he must have been pushing 50 by the time he eventually retired.

I sometimes used to chat to a guy at Lakeside who used to help him unload his bikes at West Ham . At West Ham the riders entrance was at the end of Nottingham Road and at the other end of the road was a pub called the Nottingham Arms where, incidentally my grandad used to drink. Anyway this chap that helped Ken with his bikes told  me Ken used to stop for a pint in the pub on his way IN to the stadium as well as on the way home ! A different world in those days but not bad for a world class rider !

• Like 1

On 12/2/2021 at 4:07 AM, steve roberts said:

I actually lost a lot of respect for Peter Karlsson when he rode for King's Lynn in 2001 when entering the first bend from the tapes and Lukas Dryml had clearly got the drop on him he drove thru' a gap that wasn't there and both ended up in the fence. Dryml withdrew from the remainder of the meeting with a badly damaged knee which affected him for the rest of the season and was never quite the same rider again in my opinion.

Remember that crash however think your wrong to say Dryml was never the same rider again - in 2002 and 2003 he was absolutely flying. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Pinny said:

Remember that crash however think your wrong to say Dryml was never the same rider again - in 2002 and 2003 he was absolutely flying. 

That's fair enough...he was simply awesome riding for the "Cheethas" prior to the crash after a very indifferent confidence building season the year before. He was gating and passing at will and was not quite the same force around Cowley after his injury the season following...but I take your point that perhaps he was more of a force on the international stage thereafter?