British Speedway Forum
Flappy

Number 8 for each team and Junior League

17 minutes ago, scoobydoo said:

So are they saying if your RS is injured you got to use the #8 

I do hope so 

Be even better if both teams were using R/R then just promote the number 8 rather then use R/R, or is that to simple;)

I'll be interested to see the detail on number 8s. Will it consist of a designated set of riders (almost a shadow RS list) or will clubs have a free hand to choose? 

Sorry to sound a bit negative, good ideas, but the feed of riders of the current standard will become less and less, it's living off the back of the successful national league a couple of seasons ago, if nothing's done to rectify a decent NL it's short term again, I can see the second halves being half hearted like last season. 

• Like 2

Let’s get a bit of perspective here, this is a press release saying….” We will be doing the same thing as we did last year, picking our own preferred  ‘ youngsters ‘ and telling some other ‘ youngster ‘ your the non useable number eight for the night. We say we are going to have a junior league , same as we said last year, but we didn’t bother with it really and we may or may not bother again this year”

Lets wait and see what actually comes out in the wash.

• Like 4

It can only be a positive.

It was ridiculous last year that Sheffield could lose their Rising Star early in the season and then get an advantage by being able to handpick a No.7 guest for every match on a horses for courses basis.  At least Wolves redeclared a new Rising Star.

As well as having a No.8 to replace a missing RS rider, I'd like to also extend the rule so that the No.8 also has to be used if the No.6 is missing.  Shoudl be no guests at reserve.

2 hours ago, scoobydoo said:

So are they saying if your RS is injured you got to use the #8 

1 hour ago, Flappy said:

I do hope so 

That will require a rule change….

A few thoughts about the press release issued:

"Tom Brennan played his part in Great Britain’s stunning world title glory at the Monster Energy FIM Speedway of Nations"

As has been mentioned before if Kai Ward rode for GB & finished his two heats, GB still would have won!

“Whilst some 2nd half junior racing took place in 2021, with a full league season planned for 2022 we are excited about incorporating the Premiership Junior League competition into our race nights and showcasing the sport's future Rising Stars.

A full League season planned for 2021, but no mention of why it was cancelled?

“The number eight rider in each team will also gain huge experience from being part of the club and it is envisaged that during the season they may get a chance to contribute and where possible go on to become the Rising Star rider at a club the following season.”

They MAY get a chance to contribute! Sounds like they'll be back up for a missing RS!

12 minutes ago, PotteringAround said:

It can only be a positive.

It was ridiculous last year that Sheffield could lose their Rising Star early in the season and then get an advantage by being able to handpick a No.7 guest for every match on a horses for courses basis.  At least Wolves re-declared a new Rising Star.

As well as having a No.8 to replace a missing RS rider, I'd like to also extend the rule so that the No.8 also has to be used if the No.6 is missing.  Should be no guests at reserve.

Interesting idea, not sure what Peterborough would've thought if they had to replace an injured Andersen / Harris / Pedersen with a junior though?

I’d like to know what happened to this season just gone junior league? Not a single fixture was ridden and no explanation from the BSPL 

must be a massive lump under that carpet by now

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, szkocjasid said:

Interesting idea, not sure what Peterborough would've thought if they had to replace an injured Andersen / Harris / Pedersen with a junior though?

It wouldn't be possible at the number 6 is part of the team building figure

1 hour ago, kevin bass said:

Be even better if both teams were using R/R then just promote the number 8 rather then use R/R, or is that to simple;)

If its equivalent averaged riders who are out injured maybe but if one team loses a second string the other there #1 will cause some issues