British Speedway Forum
Flappy

Number 8 for each team and Junior League

1 hour ago, PotteringAround said:

It'll be documented in the rule book, but that's not available to us online yet. (Don't know whether officials have the rule book - I presume so - I was told about the no.8s by an official).

You do seem to be confusing 2 separate things though.   You're confusing "No.8" (a secondary rising star to cover for a missing rising star in the Premiership ), with the "AR" (additional rider) which may be named by a team using R/R in any league.

The "AR" (additional rider) rule has been around a long time.  (See regulation 12.4.3g, 12.4.3h and 13.6.2f).  For 2021 a team using R/R can name an "AR" to cover any of the R/R rides.  In the Premiership an "AR" has to be a Championship rider 3.00 or less.  In the Championship the AR has to be a National League rider.  In the National League the AR needs to be an unattached 3.00.   People sometimes colloquially call the "AR" a No.8.  But the actual title is "Additional Rider" and it's nothing to do with the Rising Star scheme.

Oh ar

According to a story on Danyon Hume in todays SS, he has been told to turn up by Chris Louis as a no8 can replace any rider at any time. Strange!!! This would mean having 3 reserves.

On 1/13/2022 at 1:51 PM, IronScorpion said:

According to a story on Danyon Hume in todays SS, he has been told to turn up by Chris Louis as a no8 can replace any rider at any time. Strange!!! This would mean having 3 reserves.

Although the programmed 1-7 would still be required to take their minimum number of rides unless injured. In which case using IRR would also be an option alongside using the no. 8

Edited by 1 valve

Looking at the list of Number 8's have Kings Lynn managed to sign the a rider who has no team place in any other league (unless he drops in at Armadale which feels unlikely)

8 hours ago, Sings4Speedway said:

Looking at the list of Number 8's have Kings Lynn managed to sign the a rider who has no team place in any other league (unless he drops in at Armadale which feels unlikely)

He (Mulford) might end up at Oxford NL  I guess.

Two clubs haven’t announced their no.8’s and who is left really comes down to Bickley Gilkes or Edwards.

2 minutes ago, GWC said:

He (Mulford) might end up at Oxford NL  I guess.

Two clubs haven’t announced their no.8’s and who is left really comes down to Bickley Gilkes or Edwards.

Oxford NL are already reliant on Hopwood/Stoneman getting reductions to fit 2 x 3.00 riders in. Only NL option left open is Armadale. Would be surprised if he didn't get some offers but obviously couldn't agree terms. Wondered if someone might gamble at CL level but clearly out of favour.....

Prem fixtures are out but no mention of the PJL fixtures that are due to follow the matches. With only two possible home dates it can't be that hard to work out can it?

30 minutes ago, Sings4Speedway said:

Prem fixtures are out but no mention of the PJL fixtures that are due to follow the matches. With only two possible home dates it can't be that hard to work out can it?

Are you suggesting the powers that be aren’t taking the new proposed league seriously ? For the second year running ?!?!

• Haha 1

Luke Harrison to ride in Junior League for Wolves once he turns 15 in June as per Official Site

• Like 1

The latest guests at the last two Nuneaton Speedway Supporters Club meetings, Neil Vatcher, Rob Lyon and Dale Allitt expanded on the rules governing number 8's and the PJL.

As someone said earlier, what we've always called a number 8 is in fact an additional rider and the rules there are unchanged. The new number 8 position is a kind of squad member. If a RS is injured a team must use the no.8 as a replacement. I'm still not clear if this can happen part way through a meeting though. However, a team manager has the option to swap his RS and no.8 in his named team ahead of a meeting. Hence the squad concept.

I did ask the question about the prospect of no.8's sitting in the pits all night without getting a ride. The answer was that no.8's will automatically be in the PJL team, so should get rides in the second half.

As to PJL, teams will comprise 4 riders with a maximum combined RS star rating of 8. The league will be regionalised (I think, 2 times 3 teams).

It is clear that riders can ride in the NDL, the CL and be a no.8. My conclusion is that such riders will actually be riding in 4 leagues since they will also be automatically included in their PJL team.

Well that's my latest understanding. Please don't kill the messenger.

Edited by False dawn
  • Like 1

8 hours ago, False dawn said:

The latest guests at the last two Nuneaton Speedway Supporters Club meetings, Neil Vatcher, Rob Lyon and Dale Allitt expanded on the rules governing number 8's and the PJL.

As someone said earlier, what we've always called a number 8 is in fact an additional rider and the rules there are unchanged. The new number 8 position is a kind of squad member. If a RS is injured a team must use the no.8 as a replacement. I'm still not clear if this can happen part way through a meeting though. However, a team manager has the option to swap his RS and no.8 in his named team ahead of a meeting. Hence the squad concept.

I did ask the question about the prospect of no.8's sitting in the pits all night without getting a ride. The answer was that no.8's will automatically be in the PJL team, so should get rides in the second half.

As to PJL, teams will comprise 4 riders with a maximum combined RS star rating of 8. The league will be regionalised (I think, 2 times 3 teams).

It is clear that riders can ride in the NDL, the CL and be a no.8. My conclusion is that such riders will actually be riding in 4 leagues since they will also be automatically included in their PJL team.

Less than half the Prem matches will have PJL meetings after, so there is a good chance of number 8's sitting in the pits & not getting rides!

• Like 1

14 hours ago, False dawn said:

So, if a number 8 is needed due to a RS injury, but the number 8 also has a NDL match same day, who gets priority?