Beat the Bookie GP prize competition 2024 Read more... ×
British Speedway Forum
Beowulf

Wolverhampton 2022

4 hours ago, Beowulf said:

Like Shovlar with his constant Monmore is crap ? ( I know you think Monmore's okay)

I have always enjoyed my visits to Monmore it is fair to say, not all about the track, I like the people too. 

• Like 2

What’s happened to stevebrum? Not a single contribution on this thread since it started! Has been a regular poster over the years so hope the fella is ok 

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, Arch Stanton said:

What’s happened to stevebrum? Not a single contribution on this thread since it started! Has been a regular poster over the years so hope the fella is ok 

Still posting on Facebook, so all seems fine 

• Thanks 1

One thing I can say about 'Monmore', the track may not be to everyone's taste, but the racing is decent, but above all that is a very enthusiastic 'atmosphere' !

Plenty of heckling/banter/good noise in general.....

Speedway meetings at Wolverhampton are far more entertaining than at B'ham and not just because of the level of racing on show!

Edited by GiveusaB
  • Like 1

On 3/2/2022 at 8:52 PM, Arch Stanton said:

What’s happened to stevebrum?

He still thinks David Howe will one day be world champion.

• Haha 3

9 hours ago, Col said:

He still thinks David Howe will one day be world champion.

He was sensational as a 15/16 year old. Not sure why he didn't have a stronger career?

Spent too long relying on his Monmore Green form.  Did he get any Elitserien or Ekstraliga opportunities? If so, any commitment?

On 3/3/2022 at 11:44 AM, GiveusaB said:

One thing I can say about 'Monmore', the track may not be to everyone's taste, but the racing is decent, but above all that is a very enthusiastic 'atmosphere' !

Speedway meetings at Wolverhampton are far more entertaining than at B'ham and not just because of the level of racing on show!

Their centre green guy makes their meetings imo .... yes he has a captive audience along the straight but he's so good.

• Like 1

On 3/3/2022 at 11:44 AM, GiveusaB said:

As we have said almost since time began...

Having a decent crowd helps drive the overall evenings entertainment level massively...

If your crowds are low then you solely rely on the racing to keep everyone coming back...

A very ordinary meeting is raised many, many notches by a big crowd size...

Maybe Brum should close the inside stand which means everyone watches together from outside? 

Even 600 people or so stood side by side will generate some atmosphere (noise), and increase the positive memories delivered by the night out you had watching Speedway, which can only be good for potential repeat visits to be made...

If Wolves had all their track open to the public then the atmosphere wouldnt be anywhere near the same, which would be a negative for their club and those repeat visits would invariably drop..

• Like 1

1 hour ago, mikebv said:

Having a decent crowd helps drive the overall evenings entertainment level massively...

If your crowds are low then you solely rely on the racing to keep everyone coming back...

Maybe Brum should close the inside stand which means everyone watches together from outside? 

Even 600 people or so stood side by side will generate some atmosphere (noise), and increase the positive memories delivered by the night out you had watching Speedway, which can only be good for potential repeat visits to be made...

If Wolves had all their track open to the public then the atmosphere wouldnt be anywhere near the same, which would be a negative for their club and those repeat visits would invariably drop..

Good idea, but the outside viewing at B'ham is most likely the worst out of any track that I've ever been to.

Having said that, I'd rather suffer that than watching from indoors....(absolutely boring....IMO)

3 hours ago, Trees said:

Their centre green guy makes their meetings imo .... yes he has a captive audience along the straight but he's so good.

Love him or hate him Porky is a great presenter and Wolves understand better than most that they are in the entertainment business. Evenings at Monmore would be half what they are without him.

• Like 1

49 minutes ago, wtf said:

Love him or hate him Porky is a great presenter and Wolves understand better than most that they are in the entertainment business. Evenings at Monmore would be half what they are without him.

I'm in the hate camp, but I still acknowledge that he's good at what he does and he makes a positive contribution to the atmosphere at Monmore.

5 hours ago, arnieg said:

I'm in the hate camp, but I still acknowledge that he's good at what he does and he makes a positive contribution to the atmosphere at Monmore.

I shouldn't worry about that, there are some home fans in the same camp as you. What I will say is that he always acknowldedges the away fans i.e. "where are you, put your hands up ". And he always wishes them a safe journy home at the end of the evening as well as praising them for supporting their team. 

8 hours ago, mikebv said:

Well that's an interesting viewpoint considering many away ( and home ) fans complain about there just being the one side open.

I personally miss the back straight being open, that's where I started watching as a teenager, it was the 'cheap side'.  Looking at the main stand all lit up was, at the time, quite impressive. However, being tenants at monmore we have no say in these matters e.g. when the greyhound track was being re-modelled in 1996 we had to ride the 'home' leg of the KO cup final at Long Eaton.  It's do as Ladbrokes say or no speedway...............................................................................................

10 hours ago, Trees said:

I was going to ask if it was still that annoying Porky chap but clearly it is!

7 hours ago, GiveusaB said:

Good idea, but the outside viewing at B'ham is most likely the worst out of any track that I've ever been to.

Kirkmanshulme Lane greyhound stadium was no better, possibly worse, it was as if you were below the track.  The home straight at Owlerton annoys me, but the view from the third/fourth bend is good.  Other than those I'd probably agree, although drudging my memory I don't remember Blunsdon or Station Road (that was what Long Eaton's track was called?) being any better.

• Like 1