Harlow greyhound stadium

Romford greyhound stadium

Sunderland greyhound stadium

Swindon

Any other greyhound stadium

Any other horse racing course

Any other showground

Skegness stock car stadium

The words cloud, cuckoo and land come to mind.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

7 hours ago, Skidder1 said:

There are quite a few greyhound stadia that are not in the 'top echelons' of the greyhound world that don't have anything else going on. eg. the new Oxford Stadium leaseholder has interest in other dog stadia!  Not sure whether they are suited to adding a speedway track/pits etc or whether they have hosted speedway previously?

I know that Hove in Sussex have a greyhound stadium but that may be deemed too close to Arlington?!

I'm sure I've driven past Hove dog track and it's in the middle of a housing estate.

7 minutes ago, Christine Hawes said:

Passed by Smallmead Reading this afternoon and commented what a waste of a speedway track.  Sad to see it as it is currently.

We have spoken to the council and there is no way back unfortunately. 

35 minutes ago, Christine Hawes said:

Passed by Smallmead Reading this afternoon and commented what a waste of a speedway track.  Sad to see it as it is currently.

It was a shame that the lease had been reduced from the original aggreement. Obviously somebody got it wrong and sold the fans down the river!

On 11/30/2021 at 6:30 PM, 25yearfan said:

Norfolk showground,

Brandon stadium, Coventry.

Smallmead, Reading.

Buxton.

Eastbourne

Hove Greyhound stadium

Ingliston showground, Edinburgh.

Rye House

Brafield stock car track.

Swaffham stadium

Crayford greyhound stadium

Hednesford raceway

Cowdenbeath stadium

Lydd speedway

Iwade

Great Yarmouth stadium

Somewhere on Olympic site

Crystal Palace stadium

Exeter racecourse, Haldon.

Westpoint showground, Exeter

Par moor, St Austell.

Any Imerys pit in Cornwall.

Tottenham Hotspur stadium

West Ham stadium

Wembley

Odsal

Doncaster Greyhound stadium

Northside, Workington

Weymouth FC.

Harlow greyhound stadium

Romford greyhound stadium

Sunderland greyhound stadium

Swindon

Any other greyhound stadium

Any other horse racing course

Any other showground

Skegness stock car stadium

In other words; sufficient stadia for another league.  Mind, there is sufficient, empty land surrounding Hull for a further league, but that which doesn't fall into 'NIMBY' areas or concerns over wildlife, it all belongs to someone, who naturally plays the long game awaiting top-dollar, via housng development.  Then again, some of the already congested areas where houses are sprouting like daffodills, have to be seen to be believed areas of "nice enough houses but I really wouldn't want to live there", turning many roads into car parks....

Edited by martinmauger
belated spelling

4 hours ago, martinmauger said:

In other words; sufficient stadia for another legaue.  Mind, there is sufficient, empty land surrounding Hull for a further league, but that which doesn't fall into 'NIMBY' areas or concerns over wildlife, it all belongs to someone, who naturally plays the long game awaiting top-dollar, via housng development.  Then again, some of the already congeststed areas where houses are sprouting like daffodills, have to be seen to be believed areas of "nice enough houses but I really wouldn't want to live there", turning many roads into car parks....

Where I live (at the moment) vast areas of land are being turned over to housing. The road system hardly copes at the moment...goodness knows how it will be when the new developments are completed?

• Like 1

18 hours ago, ch958 said:

has to be in the middle of nowhere

Oxford isn't in the middle of no where though...

• Like 1

13 hours ago, skydog said:

I'm sure I've driven past Hove dog track and it's in the middle of a housing estate.

Hove Greyhound stadium is slap bang in the middle of a built up area, in fact its just behind the Dugard's Machine tool business.

The late Charlie Dugard once tried to bring speedway there, absolutely zero chance of getting speedway on there especially as Brighton and Hove's council is run by the Green party!

• Like 1

As mentioned above grasstrack venues especially those with permanent planning would / would have been perfect. Collier Street in Kent leaps out as a huge opportunity lost, i think Leamington might also have a venue with a far greater planning consent than is utilised. 

Braefield is interesting as it's shaled and run by Spedeworth who seem to have a good relationship with Speedway.

It has staged Speedway in the past.

It's location is probably the biggest negative but it is between some decent conurbations Northampton, Milton Keynes, Kettering and Coventry at a push.

The racing manager at Hove used to be the manager at Shawfield, don't think he's keen on speedway. He said to me at a dog meeting that speedway was stupid, watching bikes going round in circles. I replied,  as we sit here watching dogs going round in circles. :rolleyes::drink:

• Like 1

If these tracks opened there wouldnt be enough riders for a Best Pairs Competition never mind a League...:D

• Haha 1

wonder what happen to Avonmouth, the RSPB seemed to have been satisfied and there's no houses nearby.

Oh and the guy who said 'cloudcukooland' - well Redcar happened, Worky is coming along, Oxford are back, things may be happening at Brum, Easty, Rye House. Never give up.

• Like 1

I'd have said Harlow greyhounds would be a decent shout. Too close to Rye House though if that does survive 

1 hour ago, ch958 said:

wonder what happen to Avonmouth, the RSPB seemed to have been satisfied and there's no houses nearby.

Oh and the guy who said 'cloudcukooland' - well Redcar happened, Worky is coming along, Oxford are back, things may be happening at Brum, Easty, Rye House. Never give up.

I said cloud cuckoo land as the list was exhaustive and the chance of speedway ever appearing at most of them was nil.