British Speedway Forum
1 valve

Potential stadiums

1 hour ago, noaksey said:

I'd have said Harlow greyhounds would be a decent shout. Too close to Rye House though if that does survive 

Sad that Harlow is considered too close to Rye House, when one considers how close West Ham was to Hackney, but that’s speedway today.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, ch958 said:

wonder what happen to Avonmouth, the RSPB seemed to have been satisfied and there's no houses nearby.

Oh and the guy who said 'cloudcukooland' - well Redcar happened, Worky is coming along, Oxford are back, things may be happening at Brum, Easty, Rye House. Never give up.

The thread is existing ‘ Stadiums ‘, that could host speedway, Redcar wasn’t a stadium, Northside ( Workington ) is not a stadium, both built from scratch on waste land.

54 minutes ago, Fortythirtyeight said:

The thread is existing ‘ Stadiums ‘, that could host speedway, Redcar wasn’t a stadium, Northside ( Workington ) is not a stadium, both built from scratch on waste land.

Which is exactly the way to go.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Fortythirtyeight said:

sorry like, jeez

11 hours ago, steve roberts said:

Where I live (at the moment) vast areas of land are being turned over to housing. The road system hardly copes at the moment...goodness knows how it will be when the new developments are completed?

"Then again, some of the already congested areas where houses are sprouting like daffodills, have to be seen to be believed areas of "nice enough houses but I really wouldn't want to live there", turning many roads into car parks."  I believe both the above to be arguments held by local Brandon, Coventry residents who are in favour of keeping the stadium.  Makes you think....

• Like 1

6 hours ago, ch958 said:

wonder what happen to Avonmouth, the RSPB seemed to have been satisfied and there's no houses nearby.

The proposed site is now a solar and wind farm. In my opinion it was never going to happen, as usual Bristol City Council offered support but wouldn't do anything to allow it to happen. I've seen a couple of proposed motorcycle related projects go the same way.

5 hours ago, customhouseregular said:

I said cloud cuckoo land as the list was exhaustive and the chance of speedway ever appearing at most of them was nil. 

The thread was inviting people to post what they think are potential stadiums, not whether they have any chance of actually happening!

Every venue I mentioned are potential stadiums for speedway but the chances of 95% of them actually happening are akin to winning the jackpot on the National lottery! 

Edited by 25yearfan

31 minutes ago, 25yearfan said:

The thread was inviting people to post what they think are potential stadiums, not whether they have any chance of actually happening!

Every venue I mentioned are potential stadiums for speedway but the chances of 95% of them actually happening are akin to winning the jackpot on the National lottery! 

Point taken. Nice if some of them actually had a chance eh?.

What happened to Collier Street? I must have missed that one closing.

6 minutes ago, customhouseregular said:

Point taken. Nice if some of them actually had a chance eh?.

Even better if some actually opened up for speedway, very, very long shots but fact is often stranger then fiction!

11 hours ago, Deano said:

What happened to Collier Street? I must have missed that one closing.

The brothers lost interest, sub let it out for a while then put in various planning requests. Think its a Caravan / Camping site now. Could and should have been so much more as a joint motorsport venture and looks a bigger loss now than it did when it closed.

23 hours ago, HGould said:

Braefield is interesting as it's shaled and run by Spedeworth who seem to have a good relationship with Speedway.

It has staged Speedway in the past.

It's location is probably the biggest negative but it is between some decent conurbations Northampton, Milton Keynes, Kettering and Coventry at a push.

Pretty close these days to Northampton with all the development there has been since speedway was last there. 

A meeting took place at Green Hammerton on the site on the Harness Racing track (won by Ivan Mauger) and it's still there jusf off the A59 towards Harrogate.

5 minutes ago, FromBendThree said:

Pretty close these days to Northampton with all the development there has been since speedway was last there. 

and more people have cars than they did in the 60s

3 minutes ago, steve roberts said:

A meeting took place at Green Hammerton on the site on the Harness Racing track (won by Ivan Mauger) and it's still there jusf off the A59 towards Harrogate.

Is this the site of York Autograss track?