British Speedway Forum
1 valve

Potential stadiums

9 minutes ago, customhouseregular said:

Is this the site of York Autograss track?

That's just on your right before you approach the junction to Moor Monkton (surprised it's not been used for a Grasstack event?) The Trotting track is opposite the petrol garage (Kirk Hammerton) as you turn right towards Nun Monkton. I visited once and was quite a spectacle but it's something I would do only the once...closest thing to chariot racing I guess?

Edited by steve roberts

5 minutes ago, steve roberts said:

That's just on your right before you approach the junction to Moor Monkton (surprised it's not been used for a Grasstack event?) The Trotting track is opposite the petrol garage (Kirk Hammerton) as you turn right towards Nun Monkton. I visited once and was quite a spectacle but it's something I would do only the once...closest thing to chariot racing I guess?

I have often thought the Autograss site would have been good for grass track.

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, customhouseregular said:

I have often thought the Autograss site would have been good for grass track.

I would agree. I've been to couple of events just outside Pickering which were basically one-off meetings in a field with no facilities.

Meanwhile back in Hull; White City is under a block of flats, Hedon is just a field but in NIMBY land and earmarked for yet another energy park (there is already one such site in Hull), the Boulevard, actual stadium is now under an academy, Craven Park was squared off at turns 3 & 4 & the KCOM Stadium (Hull City footie & Hull FC rugby) has always been square, bit like a mini Cardiff.  The only nearby stadium facility physically capable of staging speedway (yet has no chance) is the under-used (or so I'm told) Costello Athletics Stadium, so similar to IOW, but in addiction to being in NIMBY land housing is really close anyway.  So no joy in Hull as yet, though as I mentioned previously there is plenty of brown and green field land.....

Edited by martinmauger
spelling

On 11/30/2021 at 6:30 PM, 25yearfan said:

Norfolk showground,

Brandon stadium, Coventry.

Smallmead, Reading.

Buxton.

Eastbourne

Hove Greyhound stadium

Ingliston showground, Edinburgh.

Rye House

Brafield stock car track.

Swaffham stadium

Crayford greyhound stadium

Hednesford raceway

Cowdenbeath stadium

Lydd speedway

Iwade

Great Yarmouth stadium

Somewhere on Olympic site

Crystal Palace stadium

Exeter racecourse, Haldon.

Westpoint showground, Exeter

Par moor, St Austell.

Any Imerys pit in Cornwall.

Tottenham Hotspur stadium

West Ham stadium

Wembley

Odsal

Doncaster Greyhound stadium

Northside, Workington

Weymouth FC.

Harlow greyhound stadium

Romford greyhound stadium

Sunderland greyhound stadium

Swindon

Any other greyhound stadium

Any other horse racing course

Any other showground

Skegness stock car stadium

Some of these have long gone!!

7 hours ago, steve roberts said:

The trotting track hosted the Long track meeting which Ivan and many other stars featured in, including Peter Collins, Don Godden, Simon Wigg etc.

The A.C.U. have looked at the facility in recent times but it hasn’t gone any further.

• Thanks 1

7 hours ago, tyretrax said:

Anyone know where The Backstreet Bangers track featured on a BBC TV link is?

St Brides, Newport. 

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Fortythirtyeight said:

The trotting track hosted the Long track meeting which Ivan and many other stars featured in, including Peter Collins, Don Godden, Simon Wigg etc.

The A.C.U. have looked at the facility in recent times but it hasn’t gone any further.

I recall that meeting, not surprisingly, and was getting a lift there but then my folks wouldn't allow me to go.  Missed meet woes apart, there was an article in the then very popular Motor Cycle Mechanics magazine, short interviews with Ivan, Don Godden, etc.  I managed to lose the copy given to me by an older cousin; "you like speedway don't you, I think this is similar".  Said piece was in addition to the annual bike mag tradition of 'let's look at speedway, it's different to what we normally discuss, it will shut up our resident speedway enthusiast and fill space while awaiting new bikes for testing'....

There is Burton Trent Raceway though guess nobody has looked there as it is a little out of the way

1 hour ago, Richspeedway said:

There is Burton Trent Raceway though guess nobody has looked there as it is a little out of the way

Where is that exactly? I saw it on a Guy Martin TV programme the other day.

On 11/30/2021 at 10:00 AM, 1 valve said:

...it would be interesting to compile a list of other stadiums where speedway could be resurrected/introduced....

And for every new stadium, how about suggesting 7 or 8 new riders who can make up new teams.

8 minutes ago, uk_martin said:

And for every new stadium, how about suggesting 7 or 8 new riders who can make up new teams.

Very chicken and egg though Martin. No tracks no riders no riders no tracks what came first? 

• Like 2