British Speedway Forum
1 valve

Potential stadiums

Im surprised that there has not been any mention of any non League Football Club that may have the ability to stage Speedway, surely there must be at least one ?.

Edited by heathen52
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, heathen52 said:

Im surprised that there has not been any mention of any non League Football Club that may have the ability to stage Speedway, surely there must be at least one ?.

behind Weymouth FC

1 hour ago, heathen52 said:

Isn't there a FA ban on this happening? I am not positive - purely conjecture on my part.

11 minutes ago, JohnHyam said:

Isn't there a FA ban on this happening? I am not positive - purely conjecture on my part.

no

8 hours ago, ch958 said:

behind Weymouth FC

Lol , that one ended well didn’t it. Shame really.

• Like 1

I can't see these two in the list above:

Aldershot raceway - although not sure if there is room inside the stock car track for a speedway track

Smallfield raceway - near Gatwick airport, right next to M23

7 hours ago, Sir Sidney said:

I can't see these two in the list above:

Aldershot raceway - although not sure if there is room inside the stock car track for a speedway track

Smallfield raceway - near Gatwick airport, right next to M23

Aldershot would be ridiculously small if it were inside the tarmac track

13 hours ago, skydog said:

We'll have to ask Spedeworth to convert from tarmac to shale then! I'll ask Santa

On 12/6/2021 at 6:56 AM, skydog said:

Aldershot used to run speedway at the old stadium, but it didn't last. Not sure how many seasons it ran for. With the army camp being there, I would have thought it would have been well attended? :unsure:  Arena Essex/Lakeside was a small track. Aldershot say their track is 350 metres. Arena Essex was 252 metres.

Edited by Ray Stadia

1 hour ago, Ray Stadia said:

Aldershot used to run speedway at the old stadium, but it didn't last. Not sure how many seasons it ran for. With the army camp being there, I would have thought it would have been well attended? :unsure:  Arena Essex/Lakeside was a small track. Aldershot say their track is 350 metres. Arena Essex was 252 metres.

If its 350m it certainly doesn't look it! I dont know what being inside it would make the length of a Speedway track, but as someone who believes small tracks arent great, and having been to Aldershot, I'll stand by my original comment!

On 12/7/2021 at 6:07 PM, skydog said:

If its 350m it certainly doesn't look it! I dont know what being inside it would make the length of a Speedway track, but as someone who believes small tracks arent great, and having been to Aldershot, I'll stand by my original comment!

Having raced there, putting a speedway track inside would be impossible I totally agree.

• Like 1

On 12/3/2021 at 1:15 PM, JohnHyam said:

Isn't Brafield back under another name and the venue owned by Spedeworth Motorsport who also promote oval car racing there?

NIR, Northampton International raceway.

Was named after a energy drink company for a couple of seasons a number of years ago now.

It does also get referred to as Northampton Shaleway these days.

On 12/3/2021 at 5:37 PM, Deano said:

In the speedway world if a single promotion isn’t prepared to take a risk and a punt on their life savings, no new tracks like at Burton will appear. If though a collective BSPL shared promotion could be agreed and take 50% of the start up costs, more tracks might appear.

I've said for a while that the BSPZzz should adopt the American sports business model, and become the sports promotion organisation that oversees all clubs. Existing promoters would be co-shareholders according to their contribution into the pot and "franchisees" for their original teams. If that were to happen then the risks would be shared, as would the rewards. Not to mention the abolishment of self centred attitudes. 

That said, I'd still venture to guess that finding a venue these days, is a whole site easier than finding 7 or 8 additional riders to make up a competitive team. 

• Like 1