British Speedway Forum
Sign in to follow this  
BL65

Top riders during each decade

4 hours ago, waiheke1 said:

If I refer back to season by season rankings I did a few years back, then the top ten riders based on their best five seasons across the decade were (and noting Penhall rode only in three seasons): Nielsen, Penhall, Gundersen, Carter, S Moran, Lee, Knudsen, Sigalos, Jan O, Ermolenko.

You know, that is a good looking top ten...

3 hours ago, Split said:

Much debate about later decades but not much discussion about what went before. I don't think there's any argument about the top 8 for the 60's although Sjosten and Harrfeldt could possibly be included at 9 and 10.

Yes, definitely agree with the top 8. I think the only change I would make is Harrfeldt for Pander.

7 hours ago, waiheke1 said:

I'd definitely have PC ahead of Michanek in 3rd. Mike Lee - arguably the best rider in the world in '79- needs to be in there, certainly ahead of Louis. And can't see a good argument for Briggo being on the list.

Agree. Still  not clear on the criteria used. I can't see how Barry Briggs would qualify for the top 10 either on anything but sentiment. It's got to be a balance between results at the top level and consistency. All that said, one size won't fit all. The BL was the great indicator of a riders standing in the 70s and 80s. Couldn't say that for the last couple of decades. 

7 hours ago, waiheke1 said:

If I refer back to season by season rankings I did a few years back, then the top ten riders based on their best five seasons across the decade were (and noting Penhall rode only in three seasons): Nielsen, Penhall, Gundersen, Carter, S Moran, Lee, Knudsen, Sigalos, Jan O, Ermolenko.  That list would have Morton (11th), Andersson (13th), Sanders (14th), Crump (17th), Wigg (19th).

If you were to base the list on top three seasons (i.e. rewarding “peak performance”) the only change to the riders in the top ten is Jessup in for Ermolenko.  

Yep,, as much as I'd like to see Mort in the top 10, I've no great argument with that. A very plausible top 10. 

• Like 1

7 hours ago, lucifer sam said:

No Jan O Pedersen during the 1980s or 1990s?

World Champion in 1991, World No 2 in 1986 and World 3 in 1988.  

Rode in the World Pairs Final twice... and won it twice!  Rode in the World Team Cup Final four times... and won it four times!

Throw in a BLRC (1988) and various honours with Cradley Heath and surely he should be in there for both decades.  

Should be in there for both decades, absolutely 

4 hours ago, falcace said:

Yep,, as much as I'd like to see Mort in the top 10, I've no great argument with that. A very plausible top 10. 

Yeah, I'd still have Mort on basis of longevity if I was submitting my own subjective list, probably ahead of Sam. Similarly I'd have Lee ahead of Carter on the basis of his world title. 

I am interested in your 1930s rankings, BL. Over the course of many years and many books, I have spent a lot of time researching the 1930s, reading the contemporary speedway press. So, my own top 10 is more based on a general feeling from the first hand reports of meetings plus news stories about riders and meetings rather than strictly based on statistics, though, of course, they play a part.

On that basis, I have to say I find your inclusion of Jack Parker at no.1 very surprising. My own impression from everything I have read is that the dominant riders who lasted the whole decade were Bluey Wilkinson and Eric Langton. There is then a split between Vic Huxley and Tom Farndon dominating the early part of the decade and the three Americans plus Lionel Van Praag dominating the second half, with riders like Jack Parker, Max Grosskreutz and Frank Charles just a shade behind the dominant riders in each half.

On that basis, my Top 10 would be: 1. Bluey Wilkinson 2. Eric Langton  3. Tom Farndon 4. Vic Huxley 5. Jack Milne 6. Cordy Milne 7. Wilbur Lamoreaux 8. Lionel Van Praag 9. Max Grosskreutz. 10. Jack Parker.

If you were to include 1928 & 1929 in the decade, Vic Huxley would be no. 1.

• Like 2

Must say I was surprised Parker was number 1 and even more surprised Grosskreutz wasn’t in there at all

On 12/3/2021 at 3:59 AM, chunky said:

What is confusing about my question, Mr Hyam?

Suspect he is confused because your question SHOULD have been, why is Mike Bast not in the 70s list...

• Haha 1