secsy1

Birmingham Assets and Payments

2 hours ago, Neila said:

Jenga knows nowt !!:D

who is nowt ? 

t

10 hours ago, Jonny the spud said:

Lakeside owed thousands to several riders too

There have been a lot of dodgy characters in the sport over the years.Many riders never got the pay they were promised.

The big (& grossly unfair)anomaly regarding riders being paid/not paid is that riders would be in an immediate breach of contract should they refuse to ride because of not being paid for previous work (meetings) done with the consequence of not being allowed to ride elsewhere in UK. Promoters however have no reciprocal action taken against them for not paying their workers/contractors “on time”
Whilst clearly this set of circumstances is so that  “The show must go on” (which wouldn’t happen if riders withhold their services) it seems appropriate that something along the lines of rules being set where riders must be paid no later than (say) 10 days past the due date and if that  payment is not made then the BSPA makes the payment from the Bond fund. The delinquent promotion then has to reimburse the fund within a set period time with interest or face further sanctions. 
Frankly the only promotions who would be unable to live with this type of agreement are those who are in reality unviable in the first place and need to face the consequences sooner rather than later so the sport has a realistic financial & moral operating base to work within. 

• Like 9

1 hour ago, 1 valve said:

The big (& grossly unfair)anomaly regarding riders being paid/not paid is that riders would be in an immediate breach of contract should they refuse to ride because of not being paid for previous work (meetings) done with the consequence of not being allowed to ride elsewhere in UK. Promoters however have no reciprocal action taken against them for not paying their workers/contractors “on time”
Whilst clearly this set of circumstances is so that  “The show must go on” (which wouldn’t happen if riders withhold their services) it seems appropriate that something along the lines of rules being set where riders must be paid no later than (say) 10 days past the due date and if that  payment is not made then the BSPA makes the payment from the Bond fund. The delinquent promotion then has to reimburse the fund within a set period time with interest or face further sanctions. 
Frankly the only promotions who would be unable to live with this type of agreement are those who are in reality unviable in the first place and need to face the consequences sooner rather than later so the sport has a realistic financial & moral operating base to work within. 

Great idea there. It is also not in a riders interests to make a big issue out of non payment of "wages" since they may be overlooked for a team place in the following season.

12 minutes ago, Great Central said:

Great idea there. It is also not in a riders interests to make a big issue out of non payment of "wages" since they may be overlooked for a team place in the following season.

Why would anyone want to continue to work for an employer that failed to pay them? 

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, Humphrey Appleby said:

Why would anyone want to continue to work for an employer that failed to pay them? 

for the love of the job  

• Haha 1

9 minutes ago, Humphrey Appleby said:

Sadly the promotions still hold the vast majority of the power, there is also a vindictive element amongst them. Ive heard and known of threats issued to riders about the chances of them getting future team places unless they fall in line plus which rider wants to publicly come out as the initial "trouble maker"? For that they need to often state their owed monies which is intrusive in itself and they know it will cause a reputation dent. No matter how talented an individual how many employers would be keen on a new employee who has caused strikes at their last 3 places of work (justified or otherwise).

1 hour ago, Humphrey Appleby said:

In the case of a speedway rider., he could be  riding for a Premiership club who has not paid him and thus quite understandably not want to ride for that club. However, if he refuses to ride for the none paying club, he would be banned from riding in any other UK meetings irrespective of the competition i.e Championship or individual event. 
So to answer your question,  he would "want to ride for a an employer who failed to pay him" so that he can continue to ride elsewhere. 

Edited by 1 valve

7 hours ago, jenga said:

for the love of the job  

Well they all do ride mostly for our entertainment.....

I know this because I have read it so many times on here... :rolleyes: 

• Haha 2

9 hours ago, jenga said:

for the love of the job  

That don't pay the bills unfortunately.

If I was far younger and yes, I would have loved to have been a speedway rider, I would have preferred to have had a job/career, and speedway was my hobby. I would have accepted that the only way my costs were met or exceeded, would be based on results. There is no way speedway will survive as it is presently, with people (promoters) running a team hoping the gate (the income) will pay the outgoings. Speedway will survive, but not in it's current form.  

Edited by Ray Stadia
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, Ray Stadia said:

If I was far younger and yes, I would have loved to have been a speedway rider, I would have preferred to have had a job/career, and speedway was my hobby. I would have accepted that the only way my costs were met or exceeded, would be based on results. There is no way speedway will survive as it is presently, with people (promoters) running a team hoping the gate (the income) will pay the outgoings. Speedway will survive, but not in it's current form.  

Do it RS, treat yourself, you won't regret it !  I have ridden with Wayne Carter, on Scunny's mini track and on a 500 on the main circuit (gulp !) and found him friendly, helpful, very knowledgable as you would expect and has a good sense of humour without being at all condescending or insulting, which helps if (when) progress doesn't go as planned or the ground keeps coming up to meet you (!).  He has plenty of time for everyone and equally importantly he asks what riders are hoping to achieve; from just having fun, riding round the track without the ground hitting you (!), getting a full slide on (yay!) to taking on the likes of Laguta, Tai, Smazlik, etc.  He then helps each rider make steady & safe progress at their own pace.  Speaking as I find, I can highly reccomend a day 'skidding with Wayne' and promised to myself one day hope to do so again.  One day....

• Like 3

On 12/6/2021 at 5:57 PM, noaksey said:

Any word from the Birmingham promotion on this yet?

They are buying the assets, such as they are: see the Birmingham website.