British Speedway Forum
Sign in to follow this  
PotteringAround

NDL 2022 - AGM & League composition

Do we know yet when the NDL AGM is (If there is one)?

Rumours seem to suggest an enlarged league this year.    All the indications seem to be that Armadale, Belle Vue, Berwick, Leicester and Mildenhall will all be back, with only Kent going by the wayside.  But the loss of Kent may somewhat be compensated by the inclusion of Iwade.

Workington/Northside seem to be making progress and would be a good inclusion.  Oxford apparently want to join, but would CL and NL at both Berwick and Oxford be spreading Jamie Courtney a bit thin?   Buxton sadly seems to have no new potential promoters interested in taking on the Hitmen.  Isle of Wight put the good P.R. spin on their 2021 open meetings, but in reality, they were a bit rubbish.  Could they be looking for a way back to league racing?  Would the BSPL have them back?   Eastbourne seems to be a no go until 2023.  Plymouth are probably happy concentrating on running CL to a sensible budget and probably wouldn't fancy a NDL with a heavy Northern schedule (Edinburgh, Berwick, Workington, Belle Vue, Leicester).  

I'd say   CERTAIN:   Armadale, Belle Vue, Berwick, Leicester, Mildenhall.    LIKELY:  Iwade, Oxford, Workington.   POSSIBLE:  Isle of Wight.   UNLIKELY:  Buxton, Plymouth

The points limit naturally rose during the season to around 42, as it does, with riders now on inflated averages.   I'd say It will have to be cut again, but hopefully not as drastic as last year's 35.  Maybe somewhere in the 37-40 region?

Any thoughts?

I think IOW are incredibly happy away from the mafia and the way they were treated/ hounded i would be staggered and disappointed if they were to consider a return.  

5 from last year to return, Iwade replacing Kent and maybe Oxford if they are very ambitious/ have been coaxed into it. Id love there to be a surprise entry but 7 for 2022 with hopefully Eastbourne and Worky to join 2023 would be a decent uptake (providing all current clubs make it that far)

• Like 3

6 hours ago, PotteringAround said:

Do we know yet when the NDL AGM is (If there is one)?

Rumours seem to suggest an enlarged league this year.    All the indications seem to be that Armadale, Belle Vue, Berwick, Leicester and Mildenhall will all be back, with only Kent going by the wayside.  But the loss of Kent may somewhat be compensated by the inclusion of Iwade.

Workington/Northside seem to be making progress and would be a good inclusion.  Oxford apparently want to join, but would CL and NL at both Berwick and Oxford be spreading Jamie Courtney a bit thin?   Buxton sadly seems to have no new potential promoters interested in taking on the Hitmen.  Isle of Wight put the good P.R. spin on their 2021 open meetings, but in reality, they were a bit rubbish.  Could they be looking for a way back to league racing?  Would the BSPL have them back?   Eastbourne seems to be a no go until 2023.  Plymouth are probably happy concentrating on running CL to a sensible budget and probably wouldn't fancy a NDL with a heavy Northern schedule (Edinburgh, Berwick, Workington, Belle Vue, Leicester).  

I'd say   CERTAIN:   Armadale, Belle Vue, Berwick, Leicester, Mildenhall.    LIKELY:  Iwade, Oxford, Workington.   POSSIBLE:  Isle of Wight.   UNLIKELY:  Buxton, Plymouth

The points limit naturally rose during the season to around 42, as it does, with riders now on inflated averages.   I'd say It will have to be cut again, but hopefully not as drastic as last year's 35.  Maybe somewhere in the 37-40 region?

Any thoughts?

I hope the NDL has a very strong year, with riders who are of the right ability. The BSPL has created an issue by weakening the league this season - not entirely sure how they rectify that for next season.

With regards to IOW - did you go to any of the meetings? I did, and they were far from being 'a bit rubbish' as you suggest. 

• Like 3

11 hours ago, Sir Sidney said:

I hope the NDL has a very strong year, with riders who are of the right ability. The BSPL has created an issue by weakening the league this season - not entirely sure how they rectify that for next season.

With regards to IOW - did you go to any of the meetings? I did, and they were far from being 'a bit rubbish' as you suggest. 

Thank you for your very kind comments about our meetings. The programme wasn't as planned initially, but in the end we put on an evenings entertainment and our spectator numbers were up despite several logistical problems that affected support from the mainland. I am glad that you thought they weren't rubbish. 

• Like 4

1 hour ago, Great Central said:

Thank you for your very kind comments about our meetings. The programme wasn't as planned initially, but in the end we put on an evenings entertainment and our spectator numbers were up despite several logistical problems that affected support from the mainland. I am glad that you thought they weren't rubbish. 

On that basis do you really want to come back to NDL as it is?  Imagine what you know now can be developed and put on an even better family oriented show, certainly young children's attention span is only a couple of races, throw different things in, and keep their attention can only  be a good thing. 

• Like 1

It sounds like the IOW promotion are happy with their programme of events outside the NDL, so I'll move them from my "possible" category down to "uklikely".

More worrying is the news that the vandals are reported to have visited Northside again and done some damage.  Let's hope it's not too big a setback, and doesn't disrupt their plans for NDL

So do we think the 2022 NDL will be:-

Armadale, Belle Vue, Berwick, Iwade, Leicester, Mildenhall, Oxford and (fingers crossed) Workington?

I think/thought/suspect that 2022 might be a bit quick for Workington to get everything signed off baring in mind the track isn't built so no inspections can take place, funds may currently be better focussed on construction etc. Iwade whilst with every intention could still need many requirements met including an experienced promotor to come on board. 

Big IF but if neither of those sides are able to come to the tapes would a 5 team league be in any way viable for Mildenhall (or indeed is a 6 team league any good for them really?)

Would the others want to be subsidising the NDL sides for such a small league? I know its said most years but this years AG could be one of the most important yet as the whole league at present looks like a house of cards and any number of factors could see it crashing down.

4 hours ago, Sings4Speedway said:

I think/thought/suspect that 2022 might be a bit quick for Workington to get everything signed off baring in mind the track isn't built so no inspections can take place, funds may currently be better focussed on construction etc. Iwade whilst with every intention could still need many requirements met including an experienced promotor to come on board. 

Big IF but if neither of those sides are able to come to the tapes would a 5 team league be in any way viable for Mildenhall (or indeed is a 6 team league any good for them really?)

Would the others want to be subsidising the NDL sides for such a small league? I know its said most years but this years AG could be one of the most important yet as the whole league at present looks like a house of cards and any number of factors could see it crashing down.

Loving your positivity NOT :angry:

7 hours ago, Great Central said:

I know first hand that my friends that visited, thorough enjoyed themselves, and openly said that a straight 15-heats of speedway were very much second best to what was served up on the Isle of Wight.  

• Like 3

2 hours ago, Heedthebaw said:

Loving your positivity NOT :angry:

Theres positive and theres realistic.  I am hopeful that teams will come to the tapes for the 2022 season and that the league will start to flourish again (if its allowed to) but all surrounding it must be aware that just like the rest of the sport its in a very precarious position at present and the blindly bumbling along assuming all is ok doesn't really cut it anymore.

Anything like last season would be fine with me, enjoyed the meetings at Berwick. A couple more meetings would be good for the riders.

10 hours ago, topsoil said:

Anything like last season would be fine with me, enjoyed the meetings at Berwick. A couple more meetings would be good for the riders.

Perhaps thats where things are changing, new joining sides like the Bullets and Armadale enjoyed things as it was with double headers and lower costs whilst others (both clubs and riders) questioned the amount of investment required versus the smaller number of meetings. 

I think the NDL can limp on with 6 but feel it needs to be nearer 8+ to become longer term sustainable.

As long as the fixtures aren’t all over the place like they were this season. The fans and riders need some consistency to actually get into the campaign. 

And they should bring back the pairs, fours & NLRC to add something different and some additional meetings to what will inevitably be a short league season again. 

• Like 3

So the latest BSPL update statement says full news next week of the expanded NDL.

Presume that means the AGM is next Tuesday?   

Expanded NDL would suggest that Armadale, Belle Vue, Berwick, Leicester and Mildenhall are back.  Iwade are replacing Kent.  Plus some more new teams.  Oxford? Northside?  others?

Sounds good.

8 teams would be good.  Enough for Mildenhall and Iwade, without making too many fixtures for all those who also run a senior team.

• Like 1