British Speedway Forum
Sign in to follow this  
Najjer

Meeting Formula/Team Lineup

1 minute ago, enotian said:

No different to when squad numbers were introduced in football and it doesn't seem to matter in SGP.

Didn't speedway briefly use squad numbers a few years ago? So riders had both a squad and riding number... :rolleyes:

Just now, Humphrey Appleby said:

Didn't speedway briefly use squad numbers a few years ago? So riders had both a squad and riding number... :rolleyes:

I recall the one season 1 to 7 home and 8 to 14 away (like Poland do) trial but i'm struggling to recall squad numbers? I'm sure it was a massive success.

• Haha 1

22 minutes ago, enotian said:

I recall the one season 1 to 7 home and 8 to 14 away (like Poland do) trial but i'm struggling to recall squad numbers? I'm sure it was a massive success.

Yep - each signing was assigned a different squad number they had to keep. I think by the end of the season didn’t Oxford end up on 30 something? No surprise but the idea was quickly dropped at the following AGM

5 minutes ago, Najjer said:

Yep - each signing was assigned a different squad number they had to keep. I think by the end of the season didn’t Oxford end up on 30 something? No surprise but the idea was quickly dropped at the following AGM

If I remember, it was to do with team race suit covers which were made of some sort of stretchy material to which you couldn't easily attach different numbers.

Edited by Humphrey Appleby

41 minutes ago, enotian said:

In a world where merchandise can be a profitable income stream is it not only a matter of time that the riders insist on wearing their own 'unique' rider number? "And riding at number 1 it's number 505 Robert Lambert!!!".

No different to when squad numbers were introduced in football and it doesn't seem to matter in SGP.

As far as speedway is concerned, I think the days have gone when sales of merchandise are high enough to make to make much difference to profit ! I have a Hans Andersen cap that he took off his mechanics head and gave me, one of Andreas Jonssons shirts with his GP number on, which I also think he gave me and one of Dave Watts T-Shirts,  but I’ve never seen anyone else wearing any of them so I don’t think they are exactly in high demand.:(

1 hour ago, Humphrey Appleby said:

If I remember, it was to do with team race suit covers which were made of some sort of stretchy material to which you couldn't easily attach different numbers.

So called to increase merchandise sales so that fans could buy a racing top for rider ‘A’ and you would have the correct rider number printed on the back. They weren’t allowing for Oxford to use every man and his dog as well as Jamie Courtney I don’t think! 

I believe over the years the options have been taken away & now all the fans are left with is  a set menu. There is now nothing for the terrace manager to discuss. All that can be done in todays speedway is to put a TS in when you go 6 behind  & this is only once.

I think teams should start with a named squad of ten riders working with a team on a set average & then must track a team of riders below that limit all season so that teams are kept level all season. The top 5 should be able to be positioned where they are most suited & paired up as the manager wants. Tac Subs should be unlimited but only when 8 or more behind with riders only allowed one per meeting.

• Like 3

3 hours ago, Technik said:

I believe over the years the options have been taken away & now all the fans are left with is  a set menu. There is now nothing for the terrace manager to discuss. All that can be done in todays speedway is to put a TS in when you go 6 behind  & this is only once.

I think teams should start with a named squad of ten riders working with a team on a set average & then must track a team of riders below that limit all season so that teams are kept level all season. The top 5 should be able to be positioned where they are most suited & paired up as the manager wants. Tac Subs should be unlimited but only when 8 or more behind with riders only allowed one per meeting.

Your idea whilst imaginative unfortunately falls at the first hurdle as There are insufficient riders available for squads of 10 which, even if there was the clubs would not have the money to pay for them - given those not riding would still need an income. 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Technik said:

Good idea in principle but as has been said, the lack of riders to produce squads is the biggest problem.

The idea on free movement on riders and tactical subs I like though. Would make the end of a meeting a lot more interesting. 

9 hours ago, 1 valve said:

Your idea whilst imaginative unfortunately falls at the first hurdle as There are insufficient riders available for squads of 10 which, even if there was the clubs would not have the money to pay for them - given those not riding would still need an income. 

In the top league it would work...

Six man teams and eight or even nine man squads...

Just 48 to 54 riders needed....

All DU anyway virtually, so all would have two jobs to cover not riding every week...

Edited by mikebv

Going back to the 1950's, the rule was that any rider who had scored less than 50% of possible points over the previous 6 matches, could be named as reserve. This gave Team Managers of the time much more options when selecting their teams - especially for away matches. There was never any ruling then, of which rider could only be named as number one - the Team Manager was free to juggle the riding numbers of his riders in any way he wanted.

In those days, team were of eight men - 6 in the team proper, and 2 as reserves. Matches were over 14 heats with the 6 team-proper men programmed for four rides and the reserves two each, but each reserve could have an additional two rides in the place of an off form team-proper man, or if a visiting team happened to be a man short as sometimes happened, each of the reserves could take two of the missing man's rides. The modern idea of allowing reserves to have up to seven rides is nonsensical and frequently gives the reserves a totally disproportionate say in results.

Towards the end of the 1950's, the format was changed to 7-man teams but with 3 pairings, each taking five rides, and only one reserve, and again, the reserve was programmed for only two rides but could replace a team-proper man in another three. This seemed a much better system to me, and I'd like to see it brought back.

• Like 4