British Speedway Forum
*JJ

Birmingham Brummies 2022

Slick track.

Looking back to when the Brummies came back in 1971 , over the road.

First season we won 13 drew 1 lost 2 , on a  NEW  track.

Indeed the first home match was  a late start in May.

Don,t worry me if we win every home match.

By the way , in 1971 we lost the first 3 away matches by at least 30 points a match.

Watched Brum then and will watch T  I  D.

Slick track

A slick track did for Birmingham back in March 2007 on the night of the rebirth. 6000+ in attendance expecting the “BRUMMIES ARE BACK” as it was promoted. However they ended up seeing a bunch of individuals (most new fans in the crowd had never heard of) play follow the leader.

No Birmingham Brummies team to support, instead of leaving the stadium thrilled with seeing the home team winning many left thinking I have no idea what just happened, did Birmingham win?.

I called it at the time and stand by it today, the choice to open with an individual meeting on the back of all the publicity and hype about the return of the Birmingham Brummies Team was shocking and totally destroyed any chance to gain new fans.

The following week against Stoke was much better a comfortable team win in a Midlands derby, how pleased would the 6000+ fans have been to  see that. Sadly the 6000 had become 2000 and the chance had been blown.

Edited by Pirio Barre
the standard typo do it every time
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, Pirio Barre said:

Slick track

A slick track did for Birmingham back in March 2007 on the night of the rebirth. 6000+ in attendance expecting the “BRUMMIES ARE BACK” as it was promoted. However they ended up seeing a bunch of individuals (most new fans in the crowd had never heard of) play follow the leader.

No Birmingham Brummies team to support, instead of leaving the stadium thrilled with seeing the home team winning many left thinking I have no idea what just happened, did Birmingham win?.

I called it at the time and stand by it today, the choice to open with an individual meeting on the back of all the publicity and hype about the return of the Birmingham Brummies Team was shocking and totally destroyed any chance to gain new fans.

The following week against Stoke was much better a comfortable team win in a Midlands derby, how pleased would the 6000+ fans have been to  see that. Sadly the 6000 had become 2000 and the chance had been blown.

As you call a slick track on the opening night and what was the reason for that in your thinking?

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Jimsboy said:

Slick boring racing. Thats gonna go down well then and really look good to the 1000 plus spectators and all the new sponsors and fan base the new consortium  will be looking to attract 

Nobody has said that they intend to run a slick track. All that's been mentioned is that if they completely relay the track it may be slick to start with whilst they build the shale up. 

People are going off on a tangent now with comments like this and it doesn't help anyone 

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Trackerman48 said:

Think there will be a few on here moaning about the first two signings,  but the club have got to get it right in the way the club can afford, and run not just next season & future season ahead. 

According to the BSPA website Morris and Shanes are 'fan favourites' and the promoters said "You could say they were in demand and there were a few clubs interested in signing them."

What am i missing here? :blink:

• Haha 1

I can only assume a "fan favourite" is a rider more popular than Valentin Grobauer, which lets face it doesn't take much.  Morris had his 2019 season curtailed by injury and never seemed to get back to where he was then in 2021, so might be a decent signing.  There were glimpses last season.  Shanes is entertaining if the track suits him, but f he won a heat at Perry Barr in 2021 I don't recall him doing so.  Neither exactly "wets the appetite" really.  I assume Castagna will be the third signing.

2 hours ago, Nickinho said:

According to the BSPA website Morris and Shanes are 'fan favourites' and the promoters said "You could say they were in demand and there were a few clubs interested in signing them."

I doubt there was a single club lining up to sign Shanes other than Birmingham - certainly not a few! 

• Like 2
  • Sad 2

3 hours ago, Nickinho said:

Perhaps neither fancied dropping back down to the NDL :D

• Haha 1

14 hours ago, Col said:

I can only assume a "fan favourite" is a rider more popular than Valentin Grobauer, which lets face it doesn't take much.  Morris had his 2019 season curtailed by injury and never seemed to get back to where he was then in 2021, so might be a decent signing.  There were glimpses last season.  Shanes is entertaining if the track suits him, but f he won a heat at Perry Barr in 2021 I don't recall him doing so.  Neither exactly "wets the appetite" really.  I assume Castagna will be the third signing.

My take on a 'fans favourite' isn't necessarily down to a riders performance week in week out?

I think (and only think...) that Shanes and Morris, both make a lot of time to chat and interact with fans before, during and after meetings....just my observation.

Both very approachable/affable riders/personalities. Basically, nice guys....I'm sure Paco is regarded in the same mould and will no doubt be one of the next signings. (as quoted by Col...)

• Like 4

17 hours ago, Bluenose said:

Slick track.

Looking back to when the Brummies came back in 1971 , over the road.

First season we won 13 drew 1 lost 2 , on a  NEW  track.

Indeed the first home match was  a late start in May.

Don,t worry me if we win every home match.

By the way , in 1971 we lost the first 3 away matches by at least 30 points a match.

Watched Brum then and will watch T  I  D.

I like your post....my late father's favourite line was 'I'm Birmingham T I D ! 

I think the first home match was a 39 all draw with Long Eaton (early May?) 

It was my first ever match (I was 4 years old)...I still have the programme and subsequently every home meeting programme from that season in 71....and so on.

Right up until the great PB closed.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, noaksey said:

Newman confirmed by Oxford 

Phew.....great news ! :D

I think S4S mentioned Broc Nicol? I'd love to see him at PB especially when he's dialled in....

• Like 1

40 minutes ago, GiveusaB said:

I think S4S mentioned Broc Nicol? I'd love to see him at PB especially when he's dialled in....

sorry didn't mention Nicol....i said Ully and Auty :neutral:

56 minutes ago, GiveusaB said:

I expect Newman thinks the same probably. 

• Like 2
  • Haha 1