British Speedway Forum
*JJ

Birmingham Brummies 2022

2 hours ago, Brummies23 said:

Think I’m gonna wait till we all find out who the rest of the team is before getting mine. Want to be entertained for my money worth and going every Wednesday and seeing us lose isn’t for me.  

If everyone had this attitude brum won't last the season 

• Sad 1

1 hour ago, mikebv said:

A good few years ago now, (2012 maybe), I got talking in the pits at a meeting with the major sponsor of a rider who was then riding as a "top rider" in both leagues, as he doubled up/down as a heat leader in  both..

The rider in question had spent circa £30k the year before, only riding in the UK..

He also told me how much approximately the rider had earned which left me amazed given how few patrons are engaged enough to attend Speedway meetings...

The figure quoted was "impressive" but realistically, upon reflection, was around the "normal expectant return" on such a huge level of investment in your "business", especially as you then have the usual day to day living costs to pay out of your "profit"...

A level of investment which was described as "normal for his level of rider"...

In a sport that attracts so relatively few through the doors you can clearly see why it struggles, with their "employees", quite naturally, wanting recompense to reflect their considerable outlay...

Wouldnt of been a certain Mr Gjedde your talking about, would it? 

23 minutes ago, lewy said:

Always find this odd… why should people part with there money when theres so many unknowns. Its up to Birmingham to entice people with a well put together side not fans to just part with there cash to watch rubbish  

• Like 3

3 minutes ago, phillipsr said:

Always find this odd… why should people part with there money when theres so many unknowns. Its up to Birmingham to entice people with a well put together side not fans to just part with there cash to watch rubbish  

Not really brum have signed some entertaining riders so far and you get to watch the opposition who will also provide some good riders,at Plymouth last season we finished 2nd to bottom and I enjoyed every meeting. 

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, lewy said:

Not really brum have signed some entertaining riders so far and you get to watch the opposition who will also provide some good riders,at Plymouth last season we finished 2nd to bottom and I enjoyed every meeting. 

Who are these entertaining riders?? 

because out the 4 names only nielsen I’m looking forward too, only if he stays fit. 
A good number one and another top rider and a rider on either a 4/5 will do and will give there all. 

2 hours ago, lewy said:

I paid good money last year and only Harris and maybe paco on his day turned up, waste of my fuel and evening. So hopefully big names won’t ruin them this time around 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, lewy said:

I barely missed a meeting at Arena Essex in the first eight years it ran and the season I enjoyed the most was when they finished second from bottom as every match was very close score wise although sadly too often the Hammers snatched defeat out of victory. For close matches it is much better to have a team in the lower half of the league.

• Like 2

14 hours ago, Brummies23 said:

Think I’m gonna wait till we all find out who the rest of the team is before getting mine. Want to be entertained for my money worth and going every Wednesday and seeing us lose isn’t for me.  

This is a fair comment...although, may be its my age, but I'd rather see us lose 46-44, than see us win 75 -15, providing it was close/exciting racing.....

No disrespect intended, but I don't think Poole supporters would settle for this mentality, simply because they are used to winning.....and we're not!

We've won nothing worth mentioning since 1974 IMO and even then it was only division 2.

As I've got older, it's not about the money, it's about time becoming more precious and wasting a Wednesday evening.

So far, the team looks steady, but we do need a number 1, even if only to draw the neutral in every now and then.

Edited by GiveusaB
  • Like 5

11 hours ago, Pinny said:

Wouldnt of been a certain Mr Gjedde your talking about, would 

UK rider, not Charlie...

Certainly a lot of money getting paid out to compete in a sport that gets crowds that many non league football teams would be concerned about getting..

With their players only outlay being a decent pair of football boots costing £150 to £200...

Pity the sports marketing budget isnt the same amount the clubs pay out in points money..

If it was, maybe a brighter future would be the outcome..

On 1/3/2022 at 9:39 PM, Diamonds85 said:

Is it anyone's business what a rider gets paid? It's not my business what you get paid, so it's not your business what I get paid...

To an extent it is somebody’s business when they are paying the wages. As a paying fan, they are paying that rider’s wage.

It’s all very well when supporters say it’s great we are running we will support the Brummies, But the minute you start loosing at home the so called fans will disappear, and unfortunately the Team so far looks like they are going to loose a lot of home meetings unless they pull a rabbit out of the bag, but there’s no rabbits out there 

This wages business seems to be about 'opinion' ?

I don't think its anyone's business other than the club/rider.

Doesn't mean to say it's not of interest to the supporter....hence the word 'supporter' I guess?

5 minutes ago, Argos said:

It’s all very well when supporters say it’s great we are running we will support the Brummies, But the minute you start loosing at home the so called fans will disappear, and unfortunately the Team so far looks like they are going to loose a lot of home meetings unless they pull a rabbit out of the bag, but there’s no rabbits out there 

as previously stated....for me, it's about the product and not the result....I'd have stopped going a long time ago if it was about results.

I agree though....we definitely need a big hitter to join the ranks...someone that can win Heats 1 and 15 home and away.

I'm sure LR knows this and is no doubt working on a plan.

The website says that talks are in progress with a couple of riders.....hopefully, proven, 'good riders'!

Edited by GiveusaB

10 hours ago, Chris116 said:

I barely missed a meeting at Arena Essex in the first eight years it ran and the season I enjoyed the most was when they finished second from bottom as every match was very close score wise although sadly too often the Hammers snatched defeat out of victory. For close matches it is much better to have a team in the lower half of the league.

Got to agree watching the "comets" in 1980 when we only won 2 matches was just as good if not better than when we had far better teams with "stoney and steady" .

• Like 1

1 hour ago, mikebv said:

UK rider, not Charlie...

Certainly a lot of money getting paid out to compete in a sport that gets crowds that many non league football teams would be concerned about getting..

With their players only outlay being a decent pair of football boots costing £150 to £200...

Pity the sports marketing budget isnt the same amount the clubs pay out in points money..

If it was, maybe a brighter future would be the outcome..

Cook.