British Speedway Forum
*JJ

Birmingham Brummies 2022

9 minutes ago, The Dog said:

Which one? I think there's around 3 in this league 

We’re talking 2012

For what it's worth as Glasgow fan whose watched great successes and dire failure I have tbh and say the most enjoyable days and exciting racing was probably during the dire failure. In the magical years of the double double 93/94, whilst being successful was great the racing at shawfield was pretty average at best. Most teams were beaten before they showed and cricket scores were the norm. Bowes and Lyons were always good to watch but most meetings were over by heat 8. Similar in 2011 most home matches were a walkover with the off bit of entertainment from screeny, Josh G and some erratic riding by nick Morris.

However, the years in-between were probably the best racing I'd seen, watching Les Collins, Mick Powell, Jimmy greives, Shane Parker and George stancl was a pleasure and some of the moves by messrs Parker and Collins had to be seen to be believed. And although never finished much in the top half giving the so-called fancied teams a bloody nose in a last heat decider was as good a feeling as you can get.

Now there were a few spankings along the way, Swindon scoring 60 springs to mind, but we were still back the next week for more. Hopefully Birmingham fans can have that feeling this season even if it's not to be a successful season in terms of trophies

• Like 4

4 minutes ago, Jaizer said:

For what it's worth as Glasgow fan whose watched great successes and dire failure I have tbh and say the most enjoyable days and exciting racing was probably during the dire failure. In the magical years of the double double 93/94, whilst being successful was great the racing at shawfield was pretty average at best. Most teams were beaten before they showed and cricket scores were the norm. Bowes and Lyons were always good to watch but most meetings were over by heat 8. Similar in 2011 most home matches were a walkover with the off bit of entertainment from screeny, Josh G and some erratic riding by nick Morris.

However, the years in-between were probably the best racing I'd seen, watching Les Collins, Mick Powell, Jimmy greives, Shane Parker and George stancl was a pleasure and some of the moves by messrs Parker and Collins had to be seen to be believed. And although never finished much in the top half giving the so-called fancied teams a bloody nose in a last heat decider was as good a feeling as you can get.

Now there were a few spankings along the way, Swindon scoring 60 springs to mind, but we were still back the next week for more. Hopefully Birmingham fans can have that feeling this season even if it's not to be a successful season in terms of trophies

I hear you. As odd as it sounds i enjoyed watching the dire belle vue teams of the early 2000s.

Lyons and Laukkanen were bankers around Kirky Lane and then it was a nervous wait to see if Karger could manage four laps before falling or if andy smith, glenn cunningham, kev doolan or neil collins could chip in at all.

After the Peter Nahlin debacle the few home wins belle vue managed in 2000 in the end were brilliant to watch

• Like 3

13 minutes ago, Jaizer said:

Would absolutely agree with that.....Lynn  dominated the PL as it was at various times between 2005 and 2009 with two trebles and two cup doubles but home meetings were rarely thrilling. However in the eighties and early nineties when we were crap most of the time some of the racing was brilliant and winning meetings was such a great feeling as it didn't happen every week. 

• Like 2

I have to agree with many of the recent posts. Often a garbage home side but with the home advantage against a decent visiting team will often produce the best meetings. Dominant home wins do little for me as a neutral. The point that is slightly sliding away from this thread is where are the heat wins going to come from? A team with no last places would sneak plenty of draws but there are enough lasts in this Brum side. So to balance that out there will need to be the regular heat winners and as yet they haven't been signed.

7 minutes ago, Sings4Speedway said:

I have to agree with many of the recent posts. Often a garbage home side but with the home advantage against a decent visiting team will often produce the best meetings. Dominant home wins do little for me as a neutral. The point that is slightly sliding away from this thread is where are the heat wins going to come from? A team with no last places would sneak plenty of draws but there are enough lasts in this Brum side. So to balance that out there will need to be the regular heat winners and as yet they haven't been signed.

I think nielsen and morris at reserve will negate many 0s if riders in the 1-5 are struggling. They are a strong reserve pairing.

Talking in regards of home meetings there which is where brum should focus on creating that good vibe

On 1/4/2022 at 2:31 PM, Sings4Speedway said:

Lawson has already said himself that how he races costs £500 a meeting (far from unrealistic) so he is clearly on a touch more than that, plus fuel money and a tenner for a big mac on the way home.

"A touch more"???  What do you earn a week for not putting life & limb on the line? 

To make it worthwhile, how about the following calculation?

An above average start point, say £35,000

Plus £500 x number of meetings = £15,000 minimum (based on 30 meetings)

Thus, would you expect any rider to look to earn less than £50,000 to make just taking part worthwhile for them? 

Any less than that, and a career as a plumber or a bricklayer would make much more financial sense. 

• Like 1

Just now, uk_martin said:

"A touch more"???  What do you earn a week for not putting life & limb on the line? 

Thus, would you expect any rider to look to earn less than £50,000 to make just taking part worthwhile for them? 

Any less than that, and a career as a plumber or a bricklayer would make much more financial sense. 

Nobody asked them to be a speedway rider though,if the crowds can’t generate enough money to pay them,they should go a get a day job.

• Like 4

2 hours ago, uk_martin said:

I think you misunderstand i am far from knocking what riders earn and was more stating the high costs involved just to take part. 

As for sense thats an entirely different matter as if any rider had any sense they simply wouldn't bother. The risk vs reward is vastly out and its more paid enjoyment that motivates most riders.

10 hours ago, Bagpuss said:

Would absolutely agree with that.....Lynn  dominated the PL as it was at various times between 2005 and 2009 with two trebles and two cup doubles but home meetings were rarely thrilling. However in the eighties and early nineties when we were crap most of the time some of the racing was brilliant and winning meetings was such a great feeling as it didn't happen every week. 

In all fairness , in I think 2007 , some of the racing at Newport was superb. We had a rubbish side on paper , Rajkowski had replaced Craig Watson during the winter, but ended up being half decent for us. I think we ended up about 10th but there was plenty of last heat deciders and some awesome racing. 

That said, I would still of preferred poorer racing and better results as would the majority of people. 

7 hours ago, Brummies23 said:

Anyone else think we’re getting a big name at number one from the statement rogers put out? I really hope so.

No as they surely would have announced by now and tried to boost season and 10 match ticket sales? 

4 hours ago, Jimsboy said:

No as they surely would have announced by now and tried to boost season and 10 match ticket sales? 

Still got 3/4 months to boost season ticket sales....

Just my opinion, but I doubt 'B'ham fans will be holding out to buy a season ticket based on who the next signing will be?

You're either a supporter (supporter being the operative word) or not?!

The make up of the team, will affect the 'casual/occasional' supporter....as I said, just the way I look at it.

I personally think that the 'Boss/LR', knows enough about speedway, to know that a competitive side is imperative to survival....

Barring injuries, B'ham won't be the whipping boys of the division!

• Thanks 1