British Speedway Forum
*JJ

Birmingham Brummies 2022

5 hours ago, Brummies_Ste said:

The line from the club is

" Don't Panic "

Well i am .

Laurence said don't panic. He must have done his homework when on his saving the brummie campaign and must have taken into account the massive rent increase. The sort of team he could put together thats may be needed to attract the (1000) ish break even crowd figure?

Interesting topic having just read all the posts about getting kids, teenagers and families to attend. I often think this is a problem at most Speedway clubs in that so much focus is placed on trying to get new fans through, when actually they would be far better placed to try and get previous fans back who have decided to stop attending. That is of course easier said than done, but you are at least then preaching to the converted (or at least they were at one point) instead of a complete newbie who has no idea what is going on with no connection to the team or sport. 

When I first went to speedway in 2000 it was billed as a “family sport” and a night out for a the family. I think that’s absolute garbage. It should be billed as an extreme sport. 4 guys racing flat out with no brakes is about as extreme as it gets and that’s the selling point I think. 

• Like 6

27 minutes ago, Najjer said:

Interesting topic having just read all the posts about getting kids, teenagers and families to attend. I often think this is a problem at most Speedway clubs in that so much focus is placed on trying to get new fans through, when actually they would be far better placed to try and get previous fans back who have decided to stop attending. That is of course easier said than done, but you are at least then preaching to the converted (or at least they were at one point) instead of a complete newbie who has no idea what is going on with no connection to the team or sport. 

When I first went to speedway in 2000 it was billed as a “family sport” and a night out for a the family. I think that’s absolute garbage. It should be billed as an extreme sport. 4 guys racing flat out with no brakes is about as extreme as it gets and that’s the selling point I think. 

I agree the racing part is but other than that presentation is anything but!! Imagine a group a teenagers at the end of a race  watching people religiously filling out a programme asking of the time was 58.8 or 58.9, they wouldnt be fooled back 

• Haha 1

15 hours ago, Tosh1218 said:

Don’t Panic Mr Mannering

your last few riders are 

Les Collins,Ray Morton ,Paul Thorpe  and Simon

Stead

Can we have Chris in stead of Ray please?

• Like 1

11 hours ago, phillipsr said:

I agree the racing part is but other than that presentation is anything but!! Imagine a group a teenagers at the end of a race  watching people religiously filling out a programme asking of the time was 58.8 or 58.9, they wouldnt be fooled back 

Quite right....very funny when you stop and think about it.....it's like 'you can't leave after the last race until the winning time is announced' and if you miss it, you have to wait for next week's speedway star? LMAO

1 hour ago, GiveusaB said:

Quite right....very funny when you stop and think about it.....it's like 'you can't leave after the last race until the winning time is announced' and if you miss it, you have to wait for next week's speedway star? LMAO

Or wait 30 years and post a question in the Years Gone By section. ;)

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

On 1/13/2022 at 8:15 PM, phillipsr said:

Or painting your own programme board including a very big bulldog clip!

That's what got me into speedway as it was much more interactive than football.

• Like 3

On 1/13/2022 at 8:44 AM, Brummies_Ste said:

he line from the club is

" Don't Panic "

Obviously a reaction to the BSF Predictions thread that seems to unanimously foresee doom and gloom for the Brummies...and timed to placate fears in advance of the sale of season tickets. What else would you have expected?

On 1/13/2022 at 8:15 PM, phillipsr said:

Oh absolutely - programme boards, wulfsport coats and badges on hats to name just a few aren’t going to win the ‘cool kids’ over but with amendments to the presentation then the racing should (that’s a big should!) sell itself.

I’m amazed no clubs offer deals with food and drink with admission to encourage more revenue before, during or even more so after a meeting. There is so many possibilities but most people seem to get stuck on 15 races, family sport and the ‘boys are back in town’ blaring on some awful horns as riders sit aboard a clapped out pick up truck. It’s time to take it up a notch.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Najjer said:

Oh absolutely - programme boards, wulfsport coats and badges on hats to name just a few aren’t going to win the ‘cool kids’ over but with amendments to the presentation then the racing should (that’s a big should!) sell itself.

I’m amazed no clubs offer deals with food and drink with admission to encourage more revenue before, during or even more so after a meeting. There is so many possibilities but most people seem to get stuck on 15 races, family sport and the ‘boys are back in town’ blaring on some awful horns as riders sit aboard a clapped out pick up truck. It’s time to take it up a notch.

agree, but a lot of places don't have anything to do with the food

Edited by stevehone
  • Like 2

15 hours ago, Najjer said:

At Birmingham, the lessees, AIM, control the (overpriced) food and drink: and they won't let you bring your own! And the pick up truck went years ago. In fact, the promotions have been trying all the suggestions made here for some years.

• Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, *JJ said:

At Birmingham, the lessees, AIM, control the (overpriced) food and drink: and they won't let you bring your own! And the pick up truck went years ago. In fact, the promotions have been trying all the suggestions made here for some years.

spot on.

It's very hard for any promotion to make money if they don't control and get benefit of food and drink and other perks such as hospitality. 

It's even harder if they get zero co-operation from Landlords which afflicts a number of Clubs to the detriment of customer service and encouraging first time or infrequent visitors to come back.

Even harder if Landlords seem to bend over backwards to be awkward or even sabotaging initiatives before they can deliver any benefit as some clubs have found out over the years. Having some bone-head security man confiscating water bottles from kids as an example!

Do it all yourself if you can seems to be the best model but the start up costs are much higher. 

Glasgow, Leicester; Scunthorpe; Plymouth good examples of how having control of income streams can deliver a good and affordable product , I'm sure there are others and hopefully Workington / Northside will soon join them.

• Like 3

16 hours ago, stevehone said:

agree, but a lot of places don't have anything to do with the food

52 minutes ago, *JJ said:

I know that is the case but surely even more so, collaborations together will only then benefit the speedway promotion and the people running the food/bars? Speedway could then track whose buying which ticket with the added benefits and use that to their advantage in future. It’s the whole “we don’t make anything off the food” attitude that is wrong to begin with. Speedways answer has always been when they need to make more money is to just move the price higher and higher to the point where people then stop going. That isn’t a sustainable model.

1 hour ago, Najjer said:

I know that is the case but surely even more so, collaborations together will only then benefit the speedway promotion and the people running the food/bars? Speedway could then track whose buying which ticket with the added benefits and use that to their advantage in future. It’s the whole “we don’t make anything off the food” attitude that is wrong to begin with. Speedways answer has always been when they need to make more money is to just move the price higher and higher to the point where people then stop going. That isn’t a sustainable model.

I agree in the main but the crux seems to be that the stadium owners don't want to collaborate with the speedway side of things. I know that Peter Mason and Laurence have had a reasonable relationship with the stadium owners but not enough to really help the Brummies move forward as they would like. 

Being a promotor must be an absolute thankless task and I don't think anyone will put in as much time and effort as Laurence has done recently 

• Like 1