British Speedway Forum
*JJ

Birmingham Brummies 2022

Laurence might still be in talks with Jason Lyons to see if he will come out of retirement…

• Haha 1

5 hours ago, HGould said:

We may be missed a trick when Star City or even Fort Dunlop were developed / re-developed during the fallow years when we had no Speedway.

Who would have been the "we"?  Who was lined up with cash to splash on buying the land, getting planning permission, building a stadium, providing the car parking, transport links and other infrastructure etc etc to these "brown field" sies? Granted if it was a field in the middle of Somerset it may be possible, there land is comparatively cheap. But inner-city land, with the cash and competition from industry and commerce, that's a different ball game.

• Like 5

4 hours ago, lisa-colette said:

Die hard ( not the film! lol) fans will. It just depends how many of them Birmingham have ...

They have less and less each year as the die hards actually die out. That's the hard facts of life with a fan base of "that" generation.

• Like 4

How about getting the boys from Speedway Tavern back for a special phone in show with LR as a guest

2 hours ago, HGould said:

Surprised nobody mentioned Zak Wajneckht. 

Did OK in 2019 and midweek would suit him fine. 

Just have to work on Leicester. Berwick and Newcastle Away to avoid his Grass and Long Track commitments. 

No bottle....not good enuff at all!

• Like 1

59 minutes ago, GiveusaB said:

No bottle....not good enuff at all!

He's more suited, and concentrating on being a Long Track rider.

• Like 2

I feel for Laurence and the new Birmingham promoters. Their heart is clearly in the right place and it must be tough to be in this position before they have even started properly. Hopefully something comes up! I have my fingers crossed for you all.

• Like 1

Here, here. Brummies should have gone for lower division,  whatever happens now its going to be a big struggle, will be very lucky to see the season out, and unfortunately the brummies will be finished 

8 hours ago, AndyPresley said:

I feel for Laurence and the new Birmingham promoters. Their heart is clearly in the right place and it must be tough to be in this position before they have even started properly. Hopefully something comes up! I have my fingers crossed for you all.

I don't feel any sympathy at all....LR knew what position we'd be in when the decision was announced to carry on!?

It's the fans I feel for (if things go ** up?) built up to be let down!?

But let's see what materialises first!

• Like 1

18 hours ago, crescent girl said:

Absolutely not!    Naming a rider you're talking to, then having to announce he's not going to be available after all (even if no fault of the club) is quite the wrong way to go.   

Only announce a name when he is signed, sealed and delivered.

Rubbish!

Why 'state' that Morris and Nielsen will start as reserves, if you hadn't already signed 3 riders with higher averages then ?

• Like 1

I can only see this latest venture going one way unfortunately. It's a shame, but I just don't see how speedway is viable at Perry Bar. For a while the restrictions regarding access and trading and security and everything else put on any tenants by the landlords just make speedway nigh on impossible to run. A big rent to pay. A breakeven of 1000 is laughable. never going to happen. LR can't get riders because they have no confidence that they will see out the season yet alone be paid. They came to the party late, so have slim pickings to choose from. LR is very good at spending other peoples money and promising what he can't deliver. I feel there is another of the shrinking conveyor belt of misguided fans with a few quid, that are going to lose their shirt while other get to play at speedway and it will all end up in a mess. I hope I'm wrong, but seriously, who really thinks speedway is a genuine going concern at Perry Bar with how things are. 

Haggling over rates of pay only works when there is a plentiful supply of riders which there is at the end of a season. The longer teams go on trying to get riders to sign, the higher the price will be. 
At this stage, Birmingham (and Belle Vue) will have to pay inflated rates often for lesser riders. If they have managed to get a sponsor’s licence, then expect Justin Sedgmen in the team. He’s a solid rider but has never got beyond being a lower league consistent second string and now, at the age of 30 has to be more “dependable” rather than someone with potential. 
If Adam Ellis really is in the frame, Birmingham just have to come to an agreement but not one that rewards him for under performance which is what fixed price deals do. I’m sure LR is skilled enough to come up with a stepped formula that will provide an incentive to perform.