Beat the Bookie GP prize competition 2024 Read more... ×
British Speedway Forum
*JJ

Birmingham Brummies 2022

To be fair, you'd soon be moaning if they weren't advertising the Brummies in the run up to the season! I believe they will have advertisements in the local free booklets that always get popped through the door, a decent idea to get folks on the doorstep interested and hopefully to spread the word. 

Like I've said before, the BSPA would have pulled the plug if Birmingham couldn't get a team together.. 

1 hour ago, The Dog said:

...the BSPA would have pulled the plug if Birmingham couldn't get a team together

That assumes a level of competence in the BSPA, and that they don't believe the assurances that the management are handing out.

1 hour ago, The Dog said:

To be fair, you'd soon be moaning if they weren't advertising the Brummies in the run up to the season! I believe they will have advertisements in the local free booklets that always get popped through the door, a decent idea to get folks on the doorstep interested and hopefully to spread the word. 

Like I've said before, the BSPA would have pulled the plug if Birmingham couldn't get a team together.. 

We have more chance of attracting past fans back than encouraging new ones, but past fans wont come back unless we put a decent septet out?

ATM....we look very amateur, unprepared and unconvincing, but I'm praying that will change ASAP!

57 minutes ago, uk_martin said:

That assumes a level of competence in the BSPA, and that they don't believe the assurances that the management are handing out.

Must admit you don't see the words 'competence' and 'BSPA' in the same sentence too often but I think that they were very supportive of the Masons in helping them get through the season last year 

2 hours ago, GiveusaB said:

We have more chance of attracting past fans back than encouraging new ones, but past fans wont come back unless we put a decent septet out?

ATM....we look very amateur, unprepared and unconvincing, but I'm praying that will change ASAP!

The problem with "past fans" is anno domini....those who were in their 60's when speedway returned in 2007 will now be approaching their 80's and there won't be that many of them around as there used to be, sadly. And wouldn't you rather have new fans in their 20-50's who pay full fare at the door rather than old fans who pay half-fare, from the financial point of view?

1 hour ago, uk_martin said:

The problem with "past fans" is anno domini....those who were in their 60's when speedway returned in 2007 will now be approaching their 80's and there won't be that many of them around as there used to be, sadly. And wouldn't you rather have new fans in their 20-50's who pay full fare at the door rather than old fans who pay half-fare, from the financial point of view?

I would have thought that any additional fans would be appreciated by every track. With inflation rising on a weekly basis, tough times are on the horizon for most people.

• Like 2

On 3/5/2022 at 8:44 PM, GiveusaB said:

Guessing that Falcon relates to Exeter.? Out of business a very long time ago ?

Why are you confused by this quote S4S ?

Will the relevant paperwork be completed in time for the name to be released to the various media outlets over the next 24 Hours?. There are just 18 days before the Brummies first fixture at Leicester even less to the P&P but still 3 riders short, fans must be getting just a Teeny bit nervous either LR is playing a very good game of bluff or the Brummies are in the mire.

14 minutes ago, heathen52 said:

Will the relevant paperwork be completed in time for the name to be released to the various media outlets over the next 24 Hours?. There are just 18 days before the Brummies first fixture at Leicester even less to the P&P but still 3 riders short, fans must be getting just a Teeny bit nervous either LR is playing a very good game of bluff or the Brummies are in the mire.

Do you attend any meetings at B'ham ? just wondering what 'Cradley' fans do for a speedway fix these days?

My old man used to take me to Dudley Wood (as well as B'ham) back in the late 70's early 80's (good old days...) there was always something more exciting about speedway on a Saturday night!

22 minutes ago, GiveusaB said:

Do you attend any meetings at B'ham ? just wondering what 'Cradley' fans do for a speedway fix these days?

They come on this forum and whinge!

On 3/4/2022 at 9:50 PM, Falcon1983 said:

I wont go out of business, not a brum fan lol

On 3/5/2022 at 8:44 PM, GiveusaB said:

Guessing that Falcon relates to Exeter.? Out of business a very long time ago ?

1 hour ago, GiveusaB said:

Why are you confused by this quote S4S ?

I wasn't confused i was sad as it appeared that you were point scoring over the demise of another club and as one of the respected Brum posters i thought it was both unusual and unnecessary.

Nobody wants to see Birmingham fold but contrary to most promotions and board members opinions those who post on here are (largely) not thick, they know the level of team required to draw sufficient numbers, they know when they are being widely fibbed to about official vs actual attendances and they certainly know whats worth paying to watch.

I personally would rather watch a slightly weaker home side have to battle for the wins against stronger visitors rather than vast home dominance so im just hoping the Brum can get riders signed and achieve weaker rather than just weak.

Im very much of the "OLD" school Wolves were and still are the enemy, so I only go to Monmore when Cradley are/were their, I went to PB three times last year luckily not to any of the dustbowl meetings, I will hopefully attend a few meetings again this season but that will very much depend on what team LR puts together, right now the signings dont inspire me with a great deal of confidence in the season ahead however if 3 rabbits can somehow be pulled out of a hat that could all change,but if the rabbits are all rabbits then I fear for what lies ahead.

10 minutes ago, *JJ said:

They come on this forum and whinge!

Grow up mate, I take it you are happy with your Team?. When I do go to PB I always wonder over to a couple of genuine Brummie fans (Father & Son) and have a chat with them they always offer to buy me a drink but Im teetotal, Oh by the way I know for a fact at least 2 Cradley fans go to PB on Sundays to help with the work needed to get everything ready, is your owner a former Cradley regular or not ?, so lets put the whinging comments to bed shall we.

Edited by heathen52
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, GiveusaB said:

I was a toddler when Penhall graced Dudley Wood, still the biggest hero of my childhood, one of our dogs is named Bruce.  Cradley shut when I was at college, but my Dad had stopped going regularly before then so I couldn't go to Stoke the season we rode there.

I didn't go to a speedway meeting for a long time after that, started going to Wolves occasionally in 2004, had a season ticket in 2005.  Had a season ticket for Birmingham when they re-opened and until the season that was ruined by injuries - Roynon & Legault were a pleasure to watch but R/R & two guests every week put me off.   Visited Brandon a few times each season when the Bee's were riding on a Friday night.

Didn't go to speedway in the UK for a few years, Peter Karlsson's farewell being the only exception - only Wolves rider I have ever liked (although Becker is growing on me) and a couple of Poole meetings when on holiday in Bournemouth.  Did a few GP's & Polish trips.  When Brummies stepped back into the second tier went a few times the first season and had a 10 match season ticket the next year.

This year I've got an Ace's season ticket, more because I have AL from work to burn, I love the NSS and living near an M6 junction north of West Mids means the travel time isn't too bad.

Edited by Col
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

9 minutes ago, Sings4Speedway said:

I wasn't confused i was sad as it appeared that you were point scoring over the demise of another club and as one of the respected Brum posters i thought it was both unusual and unnecessary.

Nobody wants to see Birmingham fold but contrary to most promotions and board members opinions those who post on here are (largely) not thick, they know the level of team required to draw sufficient numbers, they know when they are being widely fibbed to about official vs actual attendances and they certainly know whats worth paying to watch.

I personally would rather watch a slightly weaker home side have to battle for the wins against stronger visitors rather than vast home dominance so im just hoping the Brum can get riders signed and achieve weaker rather than just weak.

Apologies that my post came across that way...It certainly wasn't my intention... that's why I followed it up with 'my daughters first ever speedway meeting'...

Exeter holds a nostalgic place in my speedway heart.

I would never 'gloat/point score' about ANY speedway club folding/struggling....even 'Cradley' :D

I read my post back and I can see why you thought that way....sorry for any confusion/offence.

• Thanks 1

11 minutes ago, heathen52 said:

Im very much of the "OLD" school Wolves were and still are the enemy, so I only go to Monmore when Cradley are/were their, I went to PB three times last year luckily not to any of the dustbowl meetings, I will hopefully attend a few meetings again this season but that will very much depend on what team LR puts together, right now the signings dont inspire me with a great deal of confidence in the season ahead however if 3 rabbits can somehow be pulled out of a hat that could all change,but if the rabbits are all rabbits then I fear for what lies ahead.

Grow up mate, I take it you are happy with your Team?. When I do go to PB I always wonder over to a couple of genuine Brummie fans (Father & Son) and have a chat with them they always offer to buy me a drink but Im teetotal.

That's great to hear. 'We' appreciate any support/attendance.

I hope the owners take note of the points you make about being encouraged/inspired to attend.

Signing a 'Wolves' rider would be a great PR/promotional move.