British Speedway Forum
*JJ

Birmingham Brummies 2022

Several months ago a new free newspaper the "Chronical" was launched, it is I believe distributed around the whole West Midlands, this week it featured a full page article on Wolverhampton Speedway and there has been a couple of other reports on Wolves. A few months back it featured a full page article on the fight to get Speedway back at Cradley. So far not a single word on the Brummies. This paper is pushed through every letterbox  in the districts surrounding the stadium,  someone is missing a trick , please note, Mr Tolley

• Like 2

6 hours ago, Historian said:

Several months ago a new free newspaper the "Chronical" was launched, it is I believe distributed around the whole West Midlands, this week it featured a full page article on Wolverhampton Speedway and there has been a couple of other reports on Wolves. A few months back it featured a full page article on the fight to get Speedway back at Cradley. So far not a single word on the Brummies. This paper is pushed through every letterbox  in the districts surrounding the stadium,  someone is missing a trick , please note, Mr Tolley

Don't think I've seen it and I'm by the Tennis Court pub on A34!

• Like 1

Looks like its run by the Wolverhampton based Express & Star, who don't really cover Birmingham.  They don't have Birmingham City FC match reports for example (although they do cover Aston Villa).

15 hours ago, Historian said:

I don't think it's a NEW paper.

Various free editions of the Chronicle cover specific areas and have been free and widely distributed for years.

Some cover Wolverhampton and include Wolves. Some include the "Black Country" and include Cradley. Most of the non football/cricket reporting is generic accross various areas.

The Express and Star Group has always been less in evidence once cross over into the "Greater Birmingham Area" long the area covered by the old "Birmingham Post and Mail". 

Many Brummies fans will live in the area covered by Post and Mail; and some who come  across from the West of the M5/M6 areas like Walsall / Aldridge / Lichfield etc will be far more likely to get a version of "The Chronicle" that you refer to.

The best example is the old PINK sports paper on a Saturday - the hugely popular Sports Argus that was a Birmingham Post and Mail production widely popular all accross the western Midlands and further out and the less popular Sporting Star - produced by the Express and Star Group who produce the Chronicle.

Any publicity in these free rags is welcome.

On 4/5/2022 at 9:02 AM, Historian said:

I live just about 4 miles north  of the stadium and get the paper every week .

I live in Perry Barr, and we don't get the Chronicle here any more. We used to, I think, years ago, but spam newspapers here are a thing of the past. Shame really, I could do with a regular supply of old newspapers for when I need one to protect surfaces when I'm decorating etc.

Congratulations to the track staff that laid the new surface pre-season.... not many tracks would have made it to Heat 10 last night....

Bodes well for the new season!

• Like 1

The "Chronicle" newspapers are a collection of free papers distributed by the Wolverhampton Express and Star Group. There are the "Dudley Chronicle" the "Halesowen Chronicle" and the "Stourbridge Chronicle" that I know of, and there may be a couple more distributed in other parts of the Black Country. Usually, they are almost identical in content, apart from having different front page stories, but I don't know of an edition that appears in any parts of Birmingham. (The border between Birmingham and Halesowen being somewhere mid-way along Mucklow Hill probably means that households on the Birmingham side will get the Halesowen version.)

The Chronicles do feature the occasional Speedway story - usually Wolverhampton focussed, but on rare occasions, the Brummies do get a mention.

The Birmingham Mail also get in on the free paper act by issuing a Dudley News, Stourbridge News and a Halesowen News for free. Living in Brierley Hill, I get both the Stourbridge Chronicle and the Stourbridge News - but I can't recall ever seeing a Speedway feature in the latter paper.

In the late 1970's, the Express and Star did make a determined effort to push into Birmingham Mail territory by opening a branch office in Perry Barr and for a short time producing a "Birmingham Express and Star" but this failed to take off and the experiment was soon abandoned.

Further back in the 1950's, there was a plethora of newspapers produced in Birmingham, including two evening papers in the Birmingham Mail and the Evening Despatch, two morning papers in the Birmingham Post and the Birmingham Gazette, plus the Birmingham Weekly Post, the Sporting Buff,  Birmingham Planet, and two Saturday Sports papers the Sports Argus and the Sports Final (the latter, better known locally as the Blue Mail) and the Sunday Mercury. In about 1955, the Birmingham Mail and the Evening Despatch merged and became the Evening Mail. The Birmingham Gazette, the Blue Mail, the Birmingham Weekly Post, and the Sporting Buff were all scrapped. The Birmingham Planet which was an early full colour newspaper, died a natural death at around the same time, and the Sports Argus died when football stopped playing all of their matches on Saturday afternoons.

These days, the Evening Mail has reverted to it's original title of the Birmingham Mail and has become all all-day newspaper which can be purchased from early morning onwards, and has been acquired by the Mirror Group along with the Birmingham Post and the Sunday Mercury which all now resemble the Daily Mirror both in content and style. 

This hasn't the slightest connection to Birmingham Speedway, but possibly some people will find it a bit more interesting than a few of the very juvenile postings which seem to be plaguing the site!!!!

Edited by brianbuck
  • Like 4
  • Thanks 1

17 minutes ago, brianbuck said:

The "Chronicle" newspapers are a collection of free papers distributed by the Wolverhampton Express and Star Group. There are the "Dudley Chronicle" the "Halesowen Chronicle" and the "Stourbridge Chronicle" that I know of, and there may be a couple more distributed in other parts of the Black Country. Usually, they are almost identical in content, apart from having different front page stories, but I don't know of an edition that appears in any parts of Birmingham. (The border between Birmingham and Halesowen being somewhere mid-way along Mucklow Hill probably means that households on the Birmingham side will get the Halesowen version.)

The Chronicles do feature the occasional Speedway story - usually Wolverhampton focussed, but on rare occasions, the Brummies do get a mention.

The Birmingham Mail also get in on the free paper act by issuing a Dudley News, Stourbridge News and a Halesowen News for free. Living in Brierley Hill, I get both the Stourbridge Chronicle and the Stourbridge News - but I can't recall ever seeing a Speedway feature in the latter paper.

In the late 1970's, the Express and Star did make a determined effort to push into Birmingham Mail territory by opening a branch office in Perry Barr and for a short time producing a "Birmingham Express and Star" but this failed to take off and the experiment was soon abandoned.

Further back in the 1950's, there was a plethora of newspapers produced in Birmingham, including two evening papers in the Birmingham Mail and the Evening Despatch, two morning papers in the Birmingham Post and the Birmingham Gazette, plus the Birmingham Weekly Post, the Sporting Buff,  Birmingham Planet, and two Saturday Sports papers the Sports Argus and the Sports Final (the latter, better known locally as the Blue Mail) and the Sunday Mercury. In about 1955, the Birmingham Mail and the Evening Despatch merged and became the Evening Mail. The Birmingham Gazette, the Blue Mail, the Birmingham Weekly Post, and the Sporting Buff were all scrapped. The Birmingham Planet which was an early full colour newspaper, died a natural death at around the same time, and the Sports Argus died when football stopped playing all of their matches on Saturday afternoons.

These days, the Evening Mail has reverted to it's original title of the Birmingham Mail and has become all all-day newspaper which can be purchased from early morning onwards, and has been acquired by the Mirror Group along with the Birmingham Post and the Sunday Mercury which all now resemble the Daily Mirror both in content and style. 

This hasn't the slightest connection to Birmingham Speedway, but possibly some people will find it a bit more interesting than a few of the very juvenile postings which seem to be plaguing the site!!!!

The voice of fact and commonsense as always Brian. 

Thank you. 

Explains my similar understanding re Papers but in far greater and specific details