British Speedway Forum
*JJ

Birmingham Brummies 2022

11 minutes ago, iainb said:

It seems that GB Speedway team is a completely different entity to BSPL/PL/CL, it didn't even get a mention on their website until after the event!

That's the whole problem with British Speedway.

We need one INDEPENDENT administrative body.

Yes promoters, riders and dare I say fans could have representatives on committees but while promoters are calling the shots the sport is only going to dissolve slowly toll it disappears.

• Like 2

Ellis was never going to do a full season at brum,he won't serve a ban as he is not withholding his services, he's been replaced. 

• Like 6

1 minute ago, lewy said:

Ellis was never going to do a full season at brum,he won't serve a ban as he is not withholding his services, he's been replaced. 

Which begs the question: Were the Birmingham Promotion aware of this and misled the fans or is Ellis breaking his contract?

If it is the latter the surely, British Champion or not, he should face serious sanctions.

But we all know, apart from the paying fans, there is no loyalty left in speedway.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, cinderfella said:

Which begs the question: Were the Birmingham Promotion aware of this and misled the fans or is Ellis breaking his contract?

If it is the latter the surely, British Champion or not, he should face serious sanctions.

But we all know, apart from the paying fans, there is no loyalty left in speedway.

I believe he only signed a short term contract so adam has done nothing wrong. 

• Like 4

10 minutes ago, cinderfella said:

That's the whole problem with British Speedway.

We need one INDEPENDENT administrative body.

Yes promoters, riders and dare I say fans could have representatives on committees but while promoters are calling the shots the sport is only going to dissolve slowly toll it disappears.

Team GB and Team GB Youth is separate and independent run by Rob Painter and Vicky Blackwell. 

They report to SCB apparently. 

I think there has been conflict like last season when some U21 7 man Team International Fixtures were arranged but had to be cancelled at short notice when one veteran Promoter wouldn't release a rider on a set date and got Management Committee to back him

2 good Fixtures were lost. Great chance of experience missed. 

12 minutes ago, cinderfella said:

... and if the former is true, the Birmingham promotion should face serious sanctions.

But of course, it's all hypothetical at the moment :D

• Like 2

33 minutes ago, iainb said:

... and if the former is true, the Birmingham promotion should face serious sanctions.

But of course, it's all hypothetical at the moment :D

Again....the big 'IF'.... if its true, the most serious sanction that the promotion will face, is the 'loyal' fans not being taken for fools and they wont turn up !

Seems that the general census about Laurence Rogers could be about to ring true! (or is that a bit harsh ?....)

Its alright saying that he's worked hard etc etc etc....but he will have undone all his hard work, by misleading/lying to the Birmingham faithful (and he's not alone....there is a 'big' click of supposedly know it all''s at Perry Barr and it wouldn't surprise me if they ALL knew about Ellis !)

1 minute ago, GiveusaB said:

Again....the big 'IF'.... if its true, the most serious sanction that the promotion will face, is the 'loyal' fans not being taken for fools and they wont turn up !

Seems that the general census about Laurence Rogers could be about to ring true! (or is that a bit harsh ?....)

Its alright saying that he's worked hard etc etc etc....but he will have undone all his hard work, by misleading/lying to the Birmingham faithful (and he's not alone....there is a 'big' click of supposedly know it all''s at Perry Barr and it wouldn't surprise me if they ALL knew about Ellis !)

Personally I can't believe it is true... but then nothing surprises me anymore

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, cinderfella said:

You'd probably lean towards the start of your sentence.

Either way I think Birmingham should come out and either release a statement confirming he's still at the club or he isn't because all it highlights again is the contempt promoters hold for the paying public they won't say a word but still expect everyone to go on Wednesday and then they wonder why no one bothers when the majority of clubs can't be bothered to keep there fans (the people who count) up to date with there team. 

1 hour ago, lewy said:

I believe he only signed a short term contract so adam has done nothing wrong. 

Wish he'd of stated that when he did his PR bit when signing on ?

he's done nothing wrong officially, but I'd question his morals (along with the new promotion/management)...IF true :D ?

Edited by GiveusaB

6 minutes ago, GiveusaB said:

Wish he'd of stated that when he did his PR bit when signing on ?

he's done nothing wrong officially, but I'd question his morals (along with the new promotion/management)...IF true :D ?

BRUMMIES MOVE FOR ELLIS

THURSDAY, MARCH 24, 2022

BIRMINGHAM have pulled off the signing of reigning British Champion Adam Ellis.

The 26-year-old, who won the National League with the club in 2015 and had a further spell at Perry Barr four years later has agreed to join the Brummies and completes their side for the coming season.

The above is the statement release back in March when news of Ellis' signing was made. It clearly states "coming season" and nothing about being short term.

Someone is being economical with the truth and you must wonder how many season tickets were purchased thing the current British Champion would be racing at Perry Barr every Wednesday?

No wonder attendances are falling at numerous tracks

• Like 3

They not gonna say it was short term are they? No one would imo, unless you had a like for like replacement lined up! 

38 minutes ago, lisa-colette said:

They not gonna say it was short term are they? No one would imo, unless you had a like for like replacement lined up! 

Wouldn't they? Surely there are some honest promotions out there? However,  I do accept that honesty is thin on the ground in todays society!

Edited by GiveusaB

Sedgmen in for Ellis - statement now live :-

BIRMINGHAM are back in action on Tuesday (May 17, 7.30) as they head to Championship newcomers Oxford - and there will be a new face in their side.

Justin Sedgmen, who enjoyed a high scoring stint at Perry Barr in 2010, is back with the club with British Champion Adam Ellis unable to ride for the Curtis Sport Brummies for the foreseeable future.

The consortium were always aware that this situation was a possibility, but were happy to take the risk to ensure a viable team for the start of the season.

It was always understood that, should the situation arise, Adam would be released by Birmingham so that he would not be classified as 'withholding his services' which would unfairly impact him and his Premiership club Sheffield.

The consortium agreed to review the matter at the end of April, as back in mid-March there was significant uncertainty due to the political situation in Eastern Europe.

Adam has always been upfront with the club regarding his commitments moving forward into the summer.

This does, however, mean that Birmingham are compelled to remove him from their team declaration and bring a new rider into their one-to-seven, as there would be no facility available for Adam in these circumstances.

On this basis, the club have moved swiftly to sign Sedgmen to replace Ellis, whilst being able to retain a facility (guest or rider replacement) for the injured Josh Auty.

Sedgmen is a popular figure at Perry Barr and he re-joins the club on loan with thanks to Glasgow for assisting in sorting his visa.

Co-promoter Nigel Tolley said: “I want to express our thanks to Adam for his contribution to the club over the past few weeks, and for being willing to step in at such short notice - his signing only having been completed on the day of Press and Practice.

“Adam has been a pleasure to deal with and he would be welcome back to the club at any time - and may indeed find himself being booked as a guest!

“In the meantime we move forward with Justin, who went well in Australia over the winter and is hungry to kickstart his UK career and hopefully put himself in the frame for a doubling-up spot.

“I also want to place on record our thanks to the Glasgow promotion for their assistance in completing the deal.
“The Brummies are looking forward to making the trip to Oxford before taking on the Cheetahs at Perry Barr on Wednesday.”

With Sedgmen in for Ellis, club bosses have also booked Speedway of Nations Gold medallist Tom Brennan to stand in for the injured Josh Auty on Tuesday.

OXFORD: Scott Nicholls, Kyle Newman, Jack Thomas, Cameron Heeps, Troy Batchelor, Dillon Ruml, Nathan Stoneman.

• Haha 2