British Speedway Forum
*JJ

Birmingham Brummies 2022

16 minutes ago, Osirian08 said:

Sedgmen in for Ellis - statement now live :-

BIRMINGHAM are back in action on Tuesday (May 17, 7.30) as they head to Championship newcomers Oxford - and there will be a new face in their side.

Justin Sedgmen, who enjoyed a high scoring stint at Perry Barr in 2010, is back with the club with British Champion Adam Ellis unable to ride for the Curtis Sport Brummies for the foreseeable future.

The consortium were always aware that this situation was a possibility, but were happy to take the risk to ensure a viable team for the start of the season.

It was always understood that, should the situation arise, Adam would be released by Birmingham so that he would not be classified as 'withholding his services' which would unfairly impact him and his Premiership club Sheffield.

The consortium agreed to review the matter at the end of April, as back in mid-March there was significant uncertainty due to the political situation in Eastern Europe.

Adam has always been upfront with the club regarding his commitments moving forward into the summer.

This does, however, mean that Birmingham are compelled to remove him from their team declaration and bring a new rider into their one-to-seven, as there would be no facility available for Adam in these circumstances.

On this basis, the club have moved swiftly to sign Sedgmen to replace Ellis, whilst being able to retain a facility (guest or rider replacement) for the injured Josh Auty.

Sedgmen is a popular figure at Perry Barr and he re-joins the club on loan with thanks to Glasgow for assisting in sorting his visa.

Co-promoter Nigel Tolley said: “I want to express our thanks to Adam for his contribution to the club over the past few weeks, and for being willing to step in at such short notice - his signing only having been completed on the day of Press and Practice.

“Adam has been a pleasure to deal with and he would be welcome back to the club at any time - and may indeed find himself being booked as a guest!

“In the meantime we move forward with Justin, who went well in Australia over the winter and is hungry to kickstart his UK career and hopefully put himself in the frame for a doubling-up spot.

“I also want to place on record our thanks to the Glasgow promotion for their assistance in completing the deal.
“The Brummies are looking forward to making the trip to Oxford before taking on the Cheetahs at Perry Barr on Wednesday.”

With Sedgmen in for Ellis, club bosses have also booked Speedway of Nations Gold medallist Tom Brennan to stand in for the injured Josh Auty on Tuesday.

OXFORD: Scott Nicholls, Kyle Newman, Jack Thomas, Cameron Heeps, Troy Batchelor, Dillon Ruml, Nathan Stoneman.

There you go,Adam has always been up front with the Club.Now you know who is keeping information from their fans.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

That should've been made clear to the fans at the start of the season. Pretty poor imo

• Like 8

1 minute ago, Fromafar said:

There you go,Adam has always been up front with the Club.Now you know who is keeping information from their fans.

Club must've told Adam to keep his gob shut!

• Like 1

Away season ticket holders and cov/Cradley fans ... you can come in for £10....loyal bham fans, u can pay £18, oh and BTW, we only signed your number one rider for 2 months and we've signed a 2nd string rider to replace him! 

They'll be letting home fans in for £10 before the season ends....if they get there.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, GiveusaB said:

Away season ticket holders and cov/Cradley fans ... you can come in for £10....loyal bham fans, u can pay £18, oh and BTW, we only signed your number one rider for 2 months and we've signed a 2nd string rider to replace him! 

Not to stick boot in but he was at reserve when got replaced and was struggling there... Until he got told was getting canned and nearly got a maximum ha

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Did somebody say Ellis isn't in the wrong?

Hasn't he posted his fixtures for May, which includes bham meetings? 

Edited by GiveusaB
  • Like 2

Side looks even worse now , when I saw the headline on Facebook i assumed I'm for Auty....holy moly even longer season left for Brummies fans...promotion just don't get it do they? All ok with there 'viable' option but they will drive many away 

• Like 1

I'm struggling to get my head around this decision, I loathe to criticise any promotion but this smacks of desperation to complete the team on press day, then penny pinching after 2 home meetings. I don't think there's any blame whatsoever at Ellis door either. I'm sat here shaking my head in disbelief tbh, how this is going to attract fans is beyond me. There's genuinely good people at Birmingham but they do seem to be getting it wrong hand over fist atm which is a real shame. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Sedgeman for Auty would have seemed the obvious swap but obviously are trying to do Hellish a favour by releasing him. Can't understand why they would want to do him any favours.

As for rider replacement it's time the rule was changed so that facility is only available for a certain period.

When you look at the situations at Birmingham, Newcastle and Plymouth fans are being shortchanged yet again.

I know I like to have a bit of banter on here with fans of other clubs with a troll post or two but I'm honestly being serious here.

I genuinely feel for any Brummies fan that has brought a season ticket thinking they were going to see a competitive side every week only for Rodgers to know full well Ellis was only in for the first few fixtures.

You've been turned over at a time where the cost of living has become a joke to put it bluntly with the Ownership at Birmingham Speedway showing no remorse for the pre planned stunt they always intended to pull. 

On top of that you're being drip fed lie after lie to a point where it's like reading a statement written by Boris Johnson.

Laurence Rodgers hang your head in shame and no doubt those who didn't purchase a season ticket will now walk away after the latest fiasco.

• Like 5

4 minutes ago, cinderfella said:

Sedgeman for Auty would have seemed the obvious swap but obviously are trying to do Hellish a favour by releasing him. Can't understand why they would want to do him any favours.

As for rider replacement it's time the rule was changed so that facility is only available for a certain period.

When you look at the situations at Birmingham, Newcastle and Plymouth fans are being shortchanged yet again.

It probably in his contract to release him.Otherwise they would have used Sedgmen for Auty.Carefully worded statement that could have meant anything.

• Like 1