British Speedway Forum
*JJ

Birmingham Brummies 2022

14 hours ago, IronScorpion said:

IF he signed/confirmed around 23/3 for a 28 short term contract, how come he rode against the Scorpions on 4/5(some 6 weeks later)?

The extra 2 weeks were most likely added to his contract from all the banked rides he didnt get to race during the non completion of some Birmingham meetings  !!

13 hours ago, sommelier said:

So it's Birminghams fault regarding travelodge prices!!

13 hours ago, uk_martin said:

After the Commonwealth Games, when all the building work is finished and all the temporary workers have gone home, watch the prices at that Travelodge tumble.

It was similar when Scunthorpe visited at the beginning of May but don't know why compared to a few weeks earlier.

6 minutes ago, IronScorpion said:

It was similar when Scunthorpe visited at the beginning of May but don't know why compared to a few weeks earlier.

Probably because the work's behind schedule and the clock's ticking down. More workers coming in, price goes up. 

• Like 1

7 hours ago, wtf said:

The problem is cost. The way squad systems operate in Poland and Sweden particularly, is based on being paid for the meetings you ride, and a healthy signing on fee as a retainer for your services if you don't ride. The UK essentially doesn't pay signing on fees at all, and it's main attraction to riders is that you should ride every available meeting bar injury or dramatic loss of form. In Poland particularly, 2 bad rides and your replaced for the meeting and as many have found out, won't ride again that year.

Squads just don't work without funding and we all know the UK doesn't have a pot to pish in

That’s the problem,I remember when Berwick wanted Marcin Rempala to do the next season in GB he turned it down because he was getting more to sit in the pits in Poland than race over here.He hardly rode meeting over there that season.He just drifted away from the sport it seems.Pity because he was very talented and still would have been a decent Heat Leader over here.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Fromafar said:

That’s the problem,I remember when Berwick wanted Marcin Rempala to do the next season in GB he turned it down because he was getting more to sit in the pits in Poland than race over here.He hardly rode meeting over there that season.He just drifted away from the sport it seems.Pity because he was very talented and still would have been a decent Heat Leader over here.

interesting. I've often wondered what happened to the 'turnover' of Polish riders.  The U21 top division reserves don't always progress beyond that and presumably drop down the leagues but there's bound to be some displacement i.e. a surplus of riders. imagine that!!!

often thought it could be a good business opportunity for someone to act as an agent for Polish riders without team places to come and ride in the UK, on British Licenses of course. But if the Poles are paying riders not to ride then I guess it's not feasible. Academic now as they're unlikely to get work permits anyway, I'd have thought.

5 minutes ago, enotian said:

interesting. I've often wondered what happened to the 'turnover' of Polish riders.  The U21 top division reserves don't always progress beyond that and presumably drop down the leagues but there's bound to be some displacement i.e. a surplus of riders. imagine that!!!

often thought it could be a good business opportunity for someone to act as an agent for Polish riders without team places to come and ride in the UK, on British Licenses of course. But if the Poles are paying riders not to ride then I guess it's not feasible. Academic now as they're unlikely to get work permits anyway, I'd have thought.

It did happen occasionally, Damien Drozdz at Belle Vue for example. One of the benefits (from the Poles point of view) is that the u24 league gives 22/23 year olds not established in senior teams racing opportunities.

1 minute ago, arnieg said:

It did happen occasionally, Damien Drozdz at Belle Vue for example. One of the benefits (from the Poles point of view) is that the u24 league gives 22/23 year olds not established in senior teams racing opportunities.

Yes, I think Janowski credits riding in the UK as aiding his development. Smektala, Predpelski. the Pawlicki's and even Zmarzlik had brief toe dips as the brightest of prospects at the time.

Not sure the likes of Miskowiak would consider it beneficial now.

But you might think those lesser riders, not good enough for the Polish leagues, might seek to re-build a career elsewhere rather then 'retire'. A bit like Keegan signing for Scunthorpe. The UK wouldn't be an option anymore but they don't appear to try their luck anywhere else.  

47 minutes ago, enotian said:

Yes, I think Janowski credits riding in the UK as aiding his development. Smektala, Predpelski. the Pawlicki's and even Zmarzlik had brief toe dips as the brightest of prospects at the time.

Not sure the likes of Miskowiak would consider it beneficial now.

But you might think those lesser riders, not good enough for the Polish leagues, might seek to re-build a career elsewhere rather then 'retire'. A bit like Keegan signing for Scunthorpe. The UK wouldn't be an option anymore but they don't appear to try their luck anywhere else.  

Is that Keegan  re signing for the Iron, or replacing the injured Kinsley for the Scorpions?:D

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, scunny1 said:

Is that Keegan  re signing for the Iron, or replacing the injured Kinsley for the Scorpions?:D

Honestly, my mate got his picture taken with him recently at some event in Newcastle and I thought it was William Shatner!!! His suit looked like it was from C&A.

So despite the Iron's sad demise and Keegan's apparent need for readies, I don't think he could do a job up front anymore.

Checks thread title. Yep, definitely says Birmingham Brummies 2022. B)

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, OGT said:

Checks thread title. Yep, definitely says Birmingham Brummies 2022. B)

At least they aren't slagging L Rogers off because it was raining.:D

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

11 hours ago, enotian said:

Predpelski. the Pawlicki's and even Zmarzlik had brief toe dips as the brightest of prospects at the time.

Przedpelski dipped his toe in the Leicester track and broke his ankle on debut... was never seen again, now he's in the GP's showing just what an education the Leicester track is :drink:

• Haha 1

Time for me to take a bashing from other 'posters' !?

I don't mind eating humble pie and I'm used to over-reacting and getting slated for it (if you hadn't already noticed...)

I wanted to make a post y'day about the 'ELLIS' saga, but sub-conciously didnt because I knew it would be slated/judged based on us winning at Oxford?

So, losing last night helps me in a way....

"I was wrong to react the way I did about the club deceiving the fans by not being honest with Ellis signing"

I apologize if I offended anyone.

The only people/fans it affects financially, are the ones that bought a season ticket based on his signing (and I'm not one of them...)

So, I have/had no right to get so uptight and react the way I did.

Yes, I'm disappointed and annoyed, but that's my problem and at least I have a choice of how I deal with it....(wrong at first, but better 24 hours later...as always).

2 minutes ago, iainb said:

Przedpelski dipped his toe in the Leicester track and broke his ankle on debut... was never seen again, now he's in the GP's showing just what an education the Leicester track is :drink:

I remember watching that meeting on TV....he looked good too....fearless, if I remember correctly. There was a rut on 3/4 bend and it caught him out ? (I could be wrong-as usual) :D

1 minute ago, GiveusaB said:

I remember watching that meeting on TV....he looked good too....fearless, if I remember correctly. There was a rut on 3/4 bend and it caught him out ? (I could be wrong-as usual) :D

That's why the Leicester track was such a good education for him... put some fear into him... and now he's in the GP's lol

FWIW, I think you were right in your initial posts about Ellisgate 2, the promotion were dishonest with the fans, they may want to be dishonest in dealings between themselves and riders but when you start being dishonest with the fans you're on a slippery slope to ruin

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1