British Speedway Forum
*JJ

Birmingham Brummies 2022

11 hours ago, Deano said:

very few people in Birmingham know of speedway, let alone heard of the Brummies 

Well that's awful..............surely some form of publicity campaign, e.g. billboards/bus adverts/home delivered flyers, could be used to make the massive population in the 'second city' very aware of happenings at Perry Barr..................it's an old adage but speculate to accumulate is a proven advantage.

Sadly it seems speedway is less attractive than forking out for a pizza. (just a random example of money well spent - it seems).

Birmingham has fallen out of love with speedway before, in the days when the sport was immeasurably more popular than it is now and at times when there were hardly any other attractions to spend your money on. The demographic of the city is vastly different to how it was 60, 50, 40 years ago. 

It's no surprise it's struggling now. Unfortunately. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

It would seem the biggest problem with speedway in the U.K. is to much energy, money & effort is spent on getting the best team & making the play-offs etc..

When the biggest effort should be:

1. Attracting a paying crowd that makes a profit week on week.

2. Providing a exciting & entertaining evening for the crowd.

3. Address the desperate shortage of U.K. riders.

• Like 4

31 minutes ago, Ghosty said:

When the biggest effort should be:

1. Attracting a paying crowd that makes a profit week on week.

2. Providing a exciting & entertaining evening for the crowd.

3. Address the desperate shortage of U.K. riders.

The best 'Mission Statement' I've seen in a long while. 

It reminded me of a Birmingham company that used; 'Give the customer the product they want, of the right quality, the right cost and on time!'

• Like 1

5 hours ago, wtf said:

The final nail in the coffin for speedway in many ways is "the digital age". Speedway since it began was a "Cash" business. Lots of cash swilling around and very little auditing of payments and attendance figures etc etc. For decades large amounts of cash were "washed" through speedway, enabling things like large signing on fees of the 60's 70's 80's and 90's. Over recent times with more auditing, and waning crowd numbers, there have been fewer hiding places and it's become less attractive to all, as it shrinks in size. Everything these days can be scrutinised much more easily. Things have to stand up on their own two feet. Is it really any wonder that many of the businesses that are surviving also run hugely attended cash based Stock car meetings? If speedway has to stand on it's own two feet and pay it's own bills without help and subsidies, it doesn't fare well as the state we are in today shows only too well.

As some self employed people found out during Covid...

If you had maybe been somewhat "economical with the truth" in previous years, re your income, then you didnt get the support package that others got...

My mobile barber and my window cleaner both felt somewhat "hard done to" shall we say when they recieved their support, however given both earned less than £11k per annum it wasnt surprising..

(Earned less than £11k according to their tax returns..:D)...

I did ask both if they were now going to get one of those card reader things for simplicity in doing their tax returns as we move to a cashless society, and both replied in a similar fashion..

"Am I f%*k!).. (or something like that)..:D

I think any business that was "cash only" will be finding out what an impact to their business having an electronic footprint of your actual income can have...

NB. And re "little auditing", the HMRC go where they can make the most money and optimise this by using the minimum amount of resource pool at their disposal, to achieve the maximum gain, (low hanging fruit I believe is an apt description), and will often start to scrutinise much closer, those businesses who have similar operating models to ones that they find have had some "issues" exposed...

Edited by mikebv
  • Like 2
  • Haha 1

On 6/26/2022 at 12:57 PM, The Dog said:

The tail wags the dog in speedway

Is that your other half's nickname on BSF then? "The Tail" :rofl::rofl::rofl:

• Haha 1

Reading those figures is eye watering. With all the best intentions of keeping Birmingham speedway going why on earth would one man be throwing that amount of money away? It's absolutely mind boggling!! Could you imagine making a pitch on Dragons Den and telling them you were losing that much money!! 

• Like 2

25 minutes ago, JamesHarris said:

Reading those figures is eye watering. With all the best intentions of keeping Birmingham speedway going why on earth would one man be throwing that amount of money away? It's absolutely mind boggling!! Could you imagine making a pitch on Dragons Den and telling them you were losing that much money!! 

The reply would be something like 'You don't have a business, what you have is a money pit'

• Like 1

Its a money pit, even the ardent brum fan can see how bad it is. When a place as big as that cant get 600 let alone 1 thousand it sums the lack of interest in the sport, i just hope the poor bloke pulling the dough up sees sense and jacks it in. Making a modest loss for the love of the sport is one thing. The masons did packets in during their brief stint, its just no good .

Edited by ruckerroo
  • Sad 1

10 hours ago, singy13 said:

Well that's awful..............surely some form of publicity campaign, e.g. billboards/bus adverts/home delivered flyers, could be used to make the massive population in the 'second city' very aware of happenings at Perry Barr..................it's an old adage but speculate to accumulate is a proven advantage.

Sadly it seems speedway is less attractive than forking out for a pizza. (just a random example of money well spent - it seems).

Billboards have been tried, even in the league topping season in the elite league, it didn't do anything, I will be very surprised if Brum are running next season, asking myself will they see this season out, Tolley can't keep on throwing money on a project that clearly the people of Birmingham don't want, be sad to see speedway disappear from Brum but that's the way it's looking 

Kent, Newcastle and maybe Birmingham next,,, what's the common denominator?

• Like 1

1 hour ago, ruffdiamond said:

Landlord perhaps 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, ruffdiamond said:

Arena racing co. As long as the bags can be streamed through the week they break even with the betting co payout. Make their good money on public race nights. Speedway largely an inconvenience 

• Like 2

It brighter news Sedgman with a great night for Sheffield. The one bright spark of brums campaign 

• Like 2

On 6/27/2022 at 10:31 PM, ljriley90 said:

Arena racing co. As long as the bags can be streamed through the week they break even with the betting co payout. Make their good money on public race nights. Speedway largely an inconvenience 

The common denominator is that British speedway can't sell itself - that's not any landlord's fault.