British Speedway Forum
*JJ

Birmingham Brummies 2022

32 minutes ago, Roger Jacobs said:

The common denominator is that British speedway can't sell itself - that's not any landlord's fault.

You can imagine that if every track had 3000 a week, all paying £20 on average, and the landlords got £10k a match rent 20 times a year, then more landlords would be more supportive of the sport...

It certainly isnt the landlord's fault that the crowds their tenants get are so low, and that they then look elsewhere to make more money.. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Roger Jacobs said:

The common denominator is that British speedway can't sell itself - that's not any landlord's fault.

Be specific.  More than a few British tracks sell themselves very well, and are doing nicely, thanks.

• Like 2

Can someone help:

I am planning to head to Birmingham in a couple of week's and was wondering where the best place to park is? Also has getting to the track been affected by the Commonwealth games preparations?

2 hours ago, Dodger Blue said:

Can someone help:

I am planning to head to Birmingham in a couple of week's and was wondering where the best place to park is? Also has getting to the track been affected by the Commonwealth games preparations?

Car Park £2 at stadium opens about 5.30 or on One Stop shopping centre opposite and walk over to stadium . Roadworks almost complete and none on A34 coming from m6 Jn 7 . The roadworks outside stadium are due for completion any time now .

Edited by Speedway fan

26 minutes ago, Speedway fan said:

Car Park £2 at stadium opens about 5.30 or on One Stop shopping centre opposite and walk over to stadium . Roadworks almost complete and none on A34 coming from m6 Jn 7 . The roadworks outside stadium are due for completion any time now .

Just to point out that like Leicester there's a 4 hour limit on the One Stop car park.

2 hours ago, arnieg said:

Just to point out that like Leicester there's a 4 hour limit on the One Stop car park.

No there is an arrangement with One Stop as part of the sponsorship deal with them that it is NOT 4 hours limit.

2 hours ago, arnieg said:

5 minutes ago, Speedway fan said:

No there is an arrangement with One Stop as part of the sponsorship deal with them that it is NOT 4 hours limit.

I got a ticket for parking more than 4 hours, so I wouldn't rely on it

9 minutes ago, arnieg said:

I got a ticket for parking more than 4 hours, so I wouldn't rely on it

when was this?  Club will contact the One Stop about it as there is an agreement in place

57 minutes ago, Speedway fan said:

when was this?  Club will contact the One Stop about it as there is an agreement in place

Mason era, and yes I got it sorted but it was an unwarranted hassle. 

6 hours ago, Speedway fan said:

Many thanks

17 hours ago, crescent girl said:

Be specific.  More than a few British tracks sell themselves very well, and are doing nicely, thanks.

I said British Speedway - it stands or falls as an entity.  Unfortunately, some of them tend to stand happily playing their own fiddle while others burn ... and if you think some tracks are doing very nicely, then I'd like to see their attendance figures and profit & loss - I would be surprised if there's a single promoter who runs a speedway business and makes a worthwhile profit - and if there is, are they telling everyone else the secret?

• Like 5

2 hours ago, Roger Jacobs said:

I said British Speedway - it stands or falls as an entity.  Unfortunately, some of them tend to stand happily playing their own fiddle while others burn ... and if you think some tracks are doing very nicely, then I'd like to see their attendance figures and profit & loss - I would be surprised if there's a single promoter who runs a speedway business and makes a worthwhile profit - and if there is, are they telling everyone else the secret?

I agree that British Speedway needs to work as one entity.  A few teams may be making a profit, but I doubt there are enough of them to form a decent league among themselves if the rest fail.

It has to be in the best interest of all to work at a national level to work out how to bring in the audience needed to support at least the minimum number of teams needed for a viable league. 

• Like 1

On 6/30/2022 at 9:05 AM, Speedway fan said:

Last time I visited Brum in 2019 I parked in the car park to the east of the main stand which now seems to be labelled as the VIP car park on the Brummies website. Is this still available or is it only the section on the corner coming off the A34 that's for parking? Thanks in advance.

No. The carpark which you mention is no longer accessible from Aldridge Road - only by entering the stadium, which is why it is listed as the VIP carpark. (VIP's include the track staff and the vehicles of second half riders etc.) The stadium carpark is accessed from Harrier Way, the short curved road between the A34 Walsall Road, and Aldridge Road. Parking is free of charge at the One Stop Shopping Centre on the far side of the Walsall Road (A34) and as has already been mentioned, the two hour parking restriction does NOT apply on Wednesday nights when there is a speedway meeting taking place.

Edited by brianbuck
  • Thanks 1

On 6/30/2022 at 11:40 AM, Speedway fan said:

How does this work?

How do the people at One Stop know a speedway fans' car from any other car?  Letting people know this might be a good idea.