Beat the Bookie GP prize competition 2024 Read more... ×
British Speedway Forum
*JJ

Birmingham Brummies 2022

2 minutes ago, Sings4Speedway said:

I'd be surprised if Brum go down the route of signing any rider that needed a visa (especially in the consortiums first year). First two signing are unsurprising and uninspiring but are at least credible riders around Birmingham although unless Morris offers some machinery investment or Shanes has a style change neither are likely to add anything significant to their average (again) and both risk becoming the aforementioned frustrating Newman type rider who offers so much promise yet remains a sub 6 CL rider season after season. 

Not really sure what the final pieces of the jigsaw will be but i hope that nobody tries to extort more out of Brum than they can afford to pay due to the limited options. Id rather see an honest team tracked even if its a bit under the limit rather than a couple of mercenaries who put the long term project in danger.

That's about right as far as Morris/Shanes are concerned.....

As for the next few signings? 

I recall reading LR's statement of intent and he said that he's hoping to assemble a side that can challenge for the Play Offs ?

Which means it needs to be better/equal to last seasons side.....

9 minutes ago, GiveusaB said:

That's about right as far as Morris/Shanes are concerned.....

As for the next few signings? 

I recall reading LR's statement of intent and he said that he's hoping to assemble a side that can challenge for the Play Offs ?

Which means it needs to be better/equal to last seasons side.....

Every promoter says that when building a team. Their not going to say we are building a team to finish just of the bottom the table. 

Lets see what team Brum assemble and the brummie fans support it. 

2 minutes ago, Jimsboy said:

Every promoter says that when building a team. Their not going to say we are building a team to finish just of the bottom the table. 

Lets see what team Brum assemble and the brummie fans support it. 

He could have said he's building a financially viable team though, which is a better way of saying a team for the bottom of the table...

• Like 1

1 hour ago, GiveusaB said:

Well, if you pay yer money to attend, then you have every right to have an opinion...(good or bad...)

I actually think that Morris and Shanes will be decent performers on a 'new' grippy track.....

Both riders have bags of bottle and on their day, can be both entertaining and match winners.

To be honest the track will not be grippy for the first few weeks,  because of the amount of work that has to be done to get it right. It will need to be run on the slick side to start with. But with the right amount of work every week it can get back to how it was when JL was No1. 

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Sings4Speedway said:

I'd be surprised if Brum go down the route of signing any rider that needed a visa (especially in the consortiums first year). First two signing are unsurprising and uninspiring but are at least credible riders around Birmingham although unless Morris offers some machinery investment or Shanes has a style change neither are likely to add anything significant to their average (again) and both risk becoming the aforementioned frustrating Newman type rider who offers so much promise yet remains a sub 6 CL rider season after season. 

Not really sure what the final pieces of the jigsaw will be but i hope that nobody tries to extort more out of Brum than they can afford to pay due to the limited options. Id rather see an honest team tracked even if its a bit under the limit rather than a couple of mercenaries who put the long term project in danger.

While Morris, Shanes & Newman may not have a lot of improvement in them, they can certainly put something on their averages. 

I'd certainly say they are more valuable to any team than the likes of Tobias Thomsen or Nick Agertoft were when signed in 2019!

• Like 2

48 minutes ago, Trackerman48 said:

To be honest the track will not be grippy for the first few weeks,  because of the amount of work that has to be done to get it right. It will need to be run on the slick side to start with. But with the right amount of work every week it can get back to how it was when JL was No1. 

Slick boring racing. Thats gonna go down well then and really look good to the 1000 plus spectators and all the new sponsors and fan base the new consortium  will be looking to attract 

3 hours ago, Jimsboy said:

James Haylock-Shanes and Ash Morris 1st two riders signed. 2 - 4 in the team i would guess?

6 & 7 imo.

Jack Thomas has a higher average than both so he'll start at 2 or 4.

19 minutes ago, Jimsboy said:

Slick boring racing. Thats gonna go down well then and really look good to the 1000 plus spectators and all the new sponsors and fan base the new consortium  will be looking to attract 

Take it you know nothing about tracks? Like I've said just for the first few weeks it will need to be slick and packed hard, then after that you can start making more grip. Not one for slick tracks , but I've seen some great races on a slick track just look at bell vue. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2

33 minutes ago, Jimsboy said:

Eastbourne got away with it for years and so did Coventry at Brandon :D

• Like 1

54 minutes ago, szkocjasid said:

While Morris, Shanes & Newman may not have a lot of improvement in them, they can certainly put something on their averages. 

I'd certainly say they are more valuable to any team than the likes of Tobias Thomsen or Nick Agertoft were when signed in 2019!

Very true and the latter was a shocking signing that was really a kick in the teeth to a lot of young brits looking for a chance. 

All three are certainly capable of big scores but for some reason lack consistency over a season, Kyle i like but he has to be one of the most frustrating riders over the past X years, ive always thought he was/is capable of Worrall level or at least Kerr but he continues to frustrate whilst others progress.

1 hour ago, Sings4Speedway said:

Very true and the latter was a shocking signing that was really a kick in the teeth to a lot of young brits looking for a chance. 

All three are certainly capable of big scores but for some reason lack consistency over a season, Kyle i like but he has to be one of the most frustrating riders over the past X years, ive always thought he was/is capable of Worrall level or at least Kerr but he continues to frustrate whilst others progress.

I think Agertoft had a lot of potential...his equipment let him down. Even Thomsen came good towards the back end of the season. 

I think that these riders were signed on the basis that we were seeking 'assets'.....not sure if that was the case, but it was something that I heard in conversation.

Anyway....it's history and we move forward, hopefully......

2 hours ago, BassoontheGasso said:

6 & 7 imo.

Jack Thomas has a higher average than both so he'll start at 2 or 4.

Shanes: 5.01.  Thomas: 4.91.

It says on the website that they hope to announce the next signing by the end of the week?

I'll be surprised if its not Thomas or Paco .....

If it was me, I'd be going all out to announce a signing that made people want to buy a season ticket (Christmas present etc...)

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Trackerman48 said:

Take it you know nothing about tracks? Like I've said just for the first few weeks it will need to be slick and packed hard, then after that you can start making more grip. Not one for slick tracks , but I've seen some great races on a slick track just look at bell vue. 

No never got my hands dirty with shale only on my face when the old dirt flies over the fence

16 minutes ago, Jimsboy said:

No never got my hands dirty with shale only on my face when the old dirt flies over the fence

That rarely happens these days....it's usually just dust in your eyes now :D

• Haha 1