British Speedway Forum
*JJ

Birmingham Brummies 2022

12 minutes ago, GiveusaB said:

I remember watching that meeting on TV....he looked good too....fearless, if I remember correctly. There was a rut on 3/4 bend and it caught him out ? (I could be wrong-as usual) :D

His team mate Riss put him in the fence on bend 4

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, iainb said:

That's why the Leicester track was such a good education for him... put some fear into him... and now he's in the GP's lol

FWIW, I think you were right in your initial posts about Ellisgate 2, the promotion were dishonest with the fans, they may want to be dishonest in dealings between themselves and riders but when you start being dishonest with the fans you're on a slippery slope to ruin

Absolutely!

I don't agree with what they've done and I'll never know who orchestrated the whole event about deceiving us etc...(I reckon I have a good idea though...)

I would like to see a new team manger, one with some integrity and credibility....but I do need to control my passion at times :D

1 minute ago, GiveusaB said:

....but I do need to control my passion at times :D

Sport is passion though (or should be) and that's what some so called promoters should realise!

• Like 2

You always know when the Club are in the wrong? Brian Buck doesn't make a post trying to defend them!

That's not meant to be disrespectful to BB in anyway....everyone knows that his posts are in the main fair/accurate.

I have the upmost respect for BB....I reckon he'd do a great job as Team Manager! 

Rogers out/Buck in !! :D

17 hours ago, Fromafar said:

That’s the problem,I remember when Berwick wanted Marcin Rempala to do the next season in GB he turned it down because he was getting more to sit in the pits in Poland than race over here.He hardly rode meeting over there that season.He just drifted away from the sport it seems.Pity because he was very talented and still would have been a decent Heat Leader over here.

It's unfortunate also, when you talk to a lot of the senior polish riders who came over here to learn their craft and become better riders because of the variety of track etc, they are now telling me that because polish tracks have got slicker over the years and much more rider friendly, the skillset of how to turn a bike, throttle control etc is not seen as important any more. So the young Polish riders no longer look to come over to the uk to learn for a couple of seasons. Combine that with the high revving, light flywheel engines we have now, and all you get is a load of throttle jockies who are super fast on the continent and then end up in row Z when track conditions are anything other than perfect. It's just the direction the sport is going in. Plenty of people on here love flat out racing at Belle Vue, but when the track conditions are consistent the only real skillset is getting the absolute perfect set up for you engine, and being as light as can be. The rider has less and less influence on the modern speedway bike and tracks.

• Like 7

1 minute ago, wtf said:

It's unfortunate also, when you talk to a lot of the senior polish riders who came over here to learn their craft and become better riders because of the variety of track etc, they are now telling me that because polish tracks have got slicker over the years and much more rider friendly, the skillset of how to turn a bike, throttle control etc is not seen as important any more. So the young Polish riders no longer look to come over to the uk to learn for a couple of seasons. Combine that with the high revving, light flywheel engines we have now, and all you get is a load of throttle jockies who are super fast on the continent and then end up in row Z when track conditions are anything other than perfect. It's just the direction the sport is going in. Plenty of people on here love flat out racing at Belle Vue, but when the track conditions are consistent the only real skillset is getting the absolute perfect set up for you engine, and being as light as can be. The rider has less and less influence on the modern speedway bike and tracks.

How often are there delays because the riders cant turn the bikes because there happens to be a bit of dirt on the track ,all down to track craft something which is missing with riders these days!

• Like 3

1 hour ago, GiveusaB said:

Time for me to take a bashing from other 'posters' !?

I don't mind eating humble pie and I'm used to over-reacting and getting slated for it (if you hadn't already noticed...)

I wanted to make a post y'day about the 'ELLIS' saga, but sub-conciously didnt because I knew it would be slated/judged based on us winning at Oxford?

So, losing last night helps me in a way....

"I was wrong to react the way I did about the club deceiving the fans by not being honest with Ellis signing"

I apologize if I offended anyone.

The only people/fans it affects financially, are the ones that bought a season ticket based on his signing (and I'm not one of them...)

So, I have/had no right to get so uptight and react the way I did.

Yes, I'm disappointed and annoyed, but that's my problem and at least I have a choice of how I deal with it....(wrong at first, but better 24 hours later...as always).

1 hour ago, iainb said:

That's why the Leicester track was such a good education for him... put some fear into him... and now he's in the GP's lol

FWIW, I think you were right in your initial posts about Ellisgate 2, the promotion were dishonest with the fans, they may want to be dishonest in dealings between themselves and riders but when you start being dishonest with the fans you're on a slippery slope to ruin

I think speedway is much easier in general if you work on the assumption that everything any promotion says is a lie. Then you can feel happy when you find the odd truth in there.

It's all about managing your expectations. Like many it's too easy to give promoters credit, when really none is due :rofl:

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, geoff100 said:

How often are there delays because the riders cant turn the bikes because there happens to be a bit of dirt on the track ,all down to track craft something which is missing with riders these days!

Just a ridiculous statement this!!!  

19 minutes ago, geoff100 said:

Completely agree, and tracks have to be in better condition than they were years ago because of the way the sport has gone and engines have developed. And it is NOT the riders fault. These modern engines (lets face it the bikes themselves have hardly changed) are nigh on impossible to ride in poor conditions. They cannot handle deep dirt, or more importantly patchy inconsistent conditions. There are very few old school style riders left these days with throttle control and even they struggle in poor conditions because they don't have an engine suitable for them. (heavy flywheels, low revving etc)  because that type of engine would be useless anywhere else.

The riders get a lot of flack for not being able to handle poor conditions but it's not their fault. the bikes/engines are so different these days. If you want speedway to go ahead in all conditions, they need to change the rules on engines, but this then separates the sport in the UK from elsewhere so no riders would cross from one to another. It's a dilemma for sure and one that I'm not sure the rule makers are qualified to figure out. Most just don't understand. Look how buster blows his stack when even his own riders say they can't ride the track. He just bangs on about how if he could ride it 40 years ago why cant they? It's not helpful to anyone when that few brain cells are involved

Edited by wtf
  • Like 1

4 minutes ago, phillipsr said:

Just a ridiculous statement this!!!  

Not too offended reading that from u as u have made many "ridiculous" statements as well :o

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

21 minutes ago, geoff100 said:

I once to spoke to a former World No3 and he said before signing a rider he suggested they should be asked to go out on an old upright and that would should exactly what set of skills they possessed.

When he holds training schools he makes each rider spend time on an upright as he reckons that tells him more than seeing some young bloke going flat-out on a lay down.

• Like 2

I wonder if Laurence will have the gonads to strengthen the team with a couple of Newcastle riders ?.

2 hours ago, heathen52 said:

I wonder if Laurence will have the gonads to strengthen the team with a couple of Newcastle riders ?.

Paul Starke should be on his and a few others' wanted list

Sign Paul Starke for James Pearson & the team looks a lot stronger!

Birmingham 41.89  
Claus Vissing 7.61
Josh Auty 7.35
Justin Sedgmen 6.51
Paul Starke 6.27
Ashley Morris 5.09
Stefan Nielsen 4.63
James Shanes 4.43

33 minutes ago, cinderfella said:

Paul Starke should be on his and a few others' wanted list

Yeah, Starkey would be one of them, possibly along with Max Clegg who was a firm favourite with lots of Cradley fans and would add a few more on the gate, Im guessing young Pearson is in for the season come what may, which leaves the manager with the quandary of who would replace who, Starke for Auty would be the obvious one, Clegg for Pearson would be my choice but as I suggested I doubt that will happen for reasons stated.