British Speedway Forum
*JJ

Birmingham Brummies 2022

1 minute ago, Sings4Speedway said:

Its difficult to comment without sounding negative but....even if team building could/did start at the same time as all other teams the budget at Brum  is clearly tight as previously covered by rent and required attendances. 

I fully admire and respect the consortium for pushing ahead and i know a year away would have its negatives also but i can't help thinking a year to prepare and recruit might have yielded a team that people are willing to watch every week (in sufficient numbers).

I tend to agree with this however there must be some doubt that a gap would have been looked on favorably by the PB landlords.

The Brum management really are going to have to pull something special out of a hat if they are to get anywhere near their required crowd figures.

I wish them all the best.

• Like 1

So far as team building goes? 

Whatever riders we sign, bham fans are hopefully going to turn up....so for me, looking at the bigger picture...we need to assemble a side that's going to attract the neutral fan once in a while....that's where our extra revenue is going to come from... for me, I would go to a meeting to see decent racing, whether it was bham or not.... so, message to the new consortium,  sign a rider that the neutral wud cum to see....don't just sign has beens......

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, GiveusaB said:

Whatever riders we sign, bham fans are hopefully going to turn up....so for me, looking at the bigger picture...we need to assemble a side that's going to attract the neutral fan once in a while....that's where our extra revenue is going to come from... for me, I would go to a meeting to see decent racing, whether it was bham or not.... so, message to the new consortium,  sign a rider that the neutral wud cum to see....don't just sign has beens......

Couldnt have put it better myself Yep thats whats needed, Im a Cradley fan and so far no Brummie signing has given me the Wow factor in fact exactly the opposite, now wether or not such a rider is out there Iv no idea but riders that put bums on seats is whats needed, so far the riders signed wont be costing a fortune which leaves more money for a genuine No 1, how much would Nicki P cost ?.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

11 minutes ago, GiveusaB said:

Not sure he'd ever come back but what about Lee complin? Always an all out entertainer anytime I seen him. 

On 12/13/2021 at 4:49 PM, Trackerman48 said:

As you call a slick track on the opening night and what was the reason for that in your thinking?

A slick track

Well, as a fan of the sport and no more than that, I call a slick track one with little dirt on it with only one racing line and after a few heats a blue groove starts showing, it could be said an over prepared track. One that doesn't challenge the riders or give entertainment to the fans. However that's just my take on a slick track, yours may differ.

I get that it was the first competitive meeting on the track so they need to be conservative with the preparation and clearly nobody wants a dangerous track but also speedway isn't figure skating, one of the great enjoyments as a fan and I guess as riders is the unpredictability of tracks.

The point I'm making is the track on opening night 2007 wasn't entertaining, it was dull to watch follow my leader rubbish, Which may have worked if it was a team meeting and Birmingham went on to win infront of 6000 people, As the meeting was hyped as the return of the Birmingham Brummies.

However it turned out to be an evening of no team riding (because the was no team), an evening of very little passing, an evening interjected with a lot of people patting them selves on the back but ultimately missing the point on how to get  new fans to support the team.

Edited by Pirio Barre
the standard typo do it every time
  • Like 3

I think it was slick to stop riders lifting and disappearing over the back straight fence where some fans were standing. Bit like Tai Woffinden did in his first ride at PB. :blink:

• Haha 1

34 minutes ago, HGould said:

Can't see there is the budget for marquee signings?

Some clubs it would seem are still paying well over the odds and the kind of level that some in the Championship can't sustain. 

I've heard that's the reason why a few won't be joining us as they have been offered silly money elsewhere.

Better to have a solid 1-7 and to win some home matches on a well prepared track and to enjoy the spectacle than to take silly risks.   

It's vital that the budget and income match so that we transition in to 2023 and grow in small steps.

Let's get the basics right, entertaining speedway on a well prepared track.

Sorry if this is boring for some, but it's a lot less boring than losing speedway altogether.

Entertaining speedway on a well prepared track is certainly not boring .....

But we do need to sign at a couple of riders that's going to attract the 'neutral' fan...

I'm sure there's more revenue in one season from a 'neutral' speedway fan attending, than a 'new' face....(just my opinion...)

Back in the 70/80's, I never missed a B'ham home meeting (religion) but  my old man would take me to see Cradley on a Saturday and sometimes Wolves on a Friday, simply because they both had riders worth watching....I know it's different these days.....there's no so called 'stars' at any club.

Gone are the Box Office days of Olsen v Mauger....Penhall v Carter....Gundersen v Nielsen....to name but a few !!

I'm so envious of the 'Poles' these days :D

• Like 2

22 hours ago, AndyPresley said:

Like I've already told you, you are getting what's left. What were you expecting?

Newcastle knew they were riding in 2022, so what's their excuse for another 'poor' side ? (not meaning to sound 'challenging', just questioning the point you're trying to make)

22 minutes ago, GiveusaB said:

Newcastle knew they were riding in 2022, so what's their excuse for another 'poor' side ? (not meaning to sound 'challenging', just questioning the point you're trying to make)

their budget… it’s incredibly simple really

• Like 1

57 minutes ago, GiveusaB said:

Only Rob Grant knows the reasons for the strength of the side he has built, but I do think our team is better than the one he built last season. I’d obviously like a stronger team, but I think I’m probably a little more understanding of the Diamonds situation than a lot and I am happy that I’ve got a side to watch. My point is that you need to accept that you won’t get what you want in 2022 and that isn’t the fault of the Birmingham promotion. There is a lack of quality riders available to British Speedway (which was very apparent to all Diamonds supporters this year) and although Josh Auty may seem an uninspiring signing, the chances are that he was one of the few decent riders available to your promotion. I’d be very surprised if you manage to bring in a big name at number 1 unless you throw silly money at someone, but even that might not work and isn’t a wise thing to do anyway. Unfortunately, whilst the new Birmingham promotion establishes itself, things will inevitably take a step back as they are playing catch up and rider confidence in them needs to grow. A lot of people seem to be overlooking these points and it frustrates me to see people seemingly surprised that the names being signed are not superstars. They won’t be and expectations should be realistic. Although they haven’t been announced, it doesn’t mean riders haven’t signed elsewhere already. I only had to read other teams threads to work that out. Try not to be too disappointed in Birmingham’s signings, as I’m sure they will be doing the very best they can with the cards they are holding.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

Jack smith for a reserve spot? Based in stoke so not so far and rode the second half of the NL season with the colts very well and will be looking for a championship side

29 minutes ago, allthegearbutnaeidea said:

their budget… it’s incredibly simple really

Yes I know....but the point I was making to AP was that we were always going to sign less expensive riders, not Just because we were choosing from 'what's left' ..... which is what his post referred to....

No matter when we were going to put a team together -  October 2021 or December 2021, we were always going to sign riders that we could afford and not riders that the everyday fan had on their Christmas list.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, ljriley90 said:

Jack smith for a reserve spot? Based in stoke so not so far and rode the second half of the NL season with the colts very well and will be looking for a championship side

Good shout!

Jack used to be a quick trapper and he's beat some decent riders at PB in the past. His dad 'Andy' would be a great acquisition to have in the pits too...

Edited by GiveusaB

7 minutes ago, AndyPresley said:

Only Rob Grant knows the reasons for the strength of the side he has built, but I do think our team is better than the one he built last season. I’d obviously like a stronger team, but I think I’m probably a little more understanding of the Diamonds situation than a lot and I am happy that I’ve got a side to watch. My point is that you need to accept that you won’t get what you want in 2022 and that isn’t the fault of the Birmingham promotion. There is a lack of quality riders available to British Speedway (which was very apparent to all Diamonds supporters this year) and although Josh Auty may seem an uninspiring signing, the chances are that he was one of the few decent riders available to your promotion. I’d be very surprised if you manage to bring in a big name at number 1 unless you throw silly money at someone, but even that might not work and isn’t a wise thing to do anyway. Unfortunately, whilst the new Birmingham promotion establishes itself, things will inevitably take a step back as they are playing catch up and rider confidence in them needs to grow. A lot of people seem to be overlooking these points and it frustrates me to see people seemingly surprised that the names being signed are not superstars. They won’t be and expectations should be realistic. Although they haven’t been announced, it doesn’t mean riders haven’t signed elsewhere already. I only had to read other teams threads to work that out. Try not to be too disappointed in Birmingham’s signings, as I’m sure they will be doing the very best they can with the cards they are holding.

Totally agree with your post....we will just have to accept that a weak team will not attract many neutrals on a ad-hoc basis.