British Speedway Forum
*JJ

Birmingham Brummies 2022

19 minutes ago, Fortythirtyeight said:

Strange then that the most experienced and highly regarded member of his team told him told him just that !

By getting stuck in do you mean try start a fight with all around or just ride beyond his skill level?

He needs to wind his neck in and concentrate on riding and not try to play silly mind games with all around him.

While he was at Plymouth he was always good value imo unlike his most experienced team  mate who certainly wasn't. I had a good insight to what happened in the pits and on track at Plymouth. If Plymouth need any injury replacements I wouldn't be at all surprised to see them bring him in.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Skidder1 said:

In all seriousness, it'll do the League no good at all if Brummies (or any team) end up with a 'weak' team compared to most of the others. It'll do the new promotion no favours either if they start with a series of home defeats... But I really can't see where the remaining riders will come from?

Same but surely when doing their rescuing Birmingham Speedway campaign LR must had some idea what 7 riders would be available or able to assemble.

Also still not seen any pictures from this so called track work and do to start yesterday? The pics from Workington has seen a positive response and right now LR and his consortium really could do with some

43 minutes ago, Jimsboy said:

Same but surely when doing their rescuing Birmingham Speedway campaign LR must had some idea what 7 riders would be available or able to assemble.

Also still not seen any pictures from this so called track work and do to start yesterday? The pics from Workington has seen a positive response and right now LR and his consortium really could do with some

There's photos on Facebook 

1 hour ago, lewy said:

While he was at Plymouth he was always good value imo unlike his most experienced team  mate who certainly wasn't. I had a good insight to what happened in the pits and on track at Plymouth. If Plymouth need any injury replacements I wouldn't be at all surprised to see them bring him in.

Is he even coming back over?

12 minutes ago, Skidder1 said:

Is he even coming back over?

He will if a team place becomes available. 

Birmingham need about a 1000 a week to keep going and look like fielding another awful side , struggling to see how they make the end of the season tbh. 

Is it too late for Birmingham to change race night and avoid clashing with Denmark?

10 hours ago, GiveusaB said:

There's photos on Facebook 

Just seen. Also says new shale not added yet and will be added in few weeks

8 hours ago, Pinny said:

Birmingham need about a 1000 a week to keep going and look like fielding another awful side , struggling to see how they make the end of the season tbh. 

Same but the new man said on speedway tavern in November it was going be more than 15 heats speedway. Going get kids in etc. Plus every new sponsor Brum get that 1000 mentioned would be reduced.

IF the leagues stay the same in 2023 but with the likely addition of Eastbourne then there will need to be some form of control to spread the top end riders about, maybe a points limit for the top 3 built into the overall team limit

• Like 2

2 hours ago, mikebv said:

In a sport where "winning" brings you so little reward, and is pretty much down to it's most die hard followers, and no more, everywhere...

I would think having EVERY track competitive is far, far more important to any possible future growth of the sport as a generic entity than having teams possibly close down due to riders not being shared around, meaning home crowds drop..

Especially in Div 2 where clubs are using Div 1 level riders in the first place, and a 2nd div in any league has less kudos in winning than the top league in any sport.. 

If the likes of Newcastle and Birmingham do close the sport will lose around 1500 or so die hards, who will have attended virtually every week..

No team winning any league will add 1500 to their attendance every week of the season.

Therefore. Another net loss in fans to add to the many other times this has happened over the past 20 years or so..

And the irony of it all is that having uncompetitive teams also impacts every other team financially as when these teams visit, crowds will invariably drop due to some home fans feeling it not worth attending.. 

Bottom line is, hardly anyone cares who wins any UK Speedwsy title, so the sport would be much healthier generically if the vast majority of meetings delivered entertainment through both teams being at least relatively even, and clubs all ended each season...

Isn’t that why there’s a team building points limit ? So that all teams have the chance to be equal, at least at the start of the season .

I doubt that Birmingham and Newcastle together have 1500 ‘die hard’ supporters based purely on their attendance levels last season as neither got anywhere near 750 regular attendees.

No one cares who wins ? Ask the fans who support the winners if they care ….of course they do ! Yes, financially it makes little sense although if your a successful club crowds do increase in the majority of cases with Workington being the exception. My local club produces entertainment on a good track with good presentation and they have increased their attendances for the last 5 years since they got rid of the old school promotion style and got younger , enthusiastic , forward thinking promotors in.

The healthy clubs are healthy for a reason. They work within their budget but still prioritise a competitive team producing entertainment that will attract a financially viable crowd, it’s called working to a business plan, many struggling clubs are simply not doing just that.

• Like 2

I do agree that there needs to be a top rider limit. Each team need to field an 8+ rider. Though it’s not Poole’s fault, we have 3 whilst Newcastle and Brum struggle. Yes it’s a dog eat dog sport but a bit of team balancing wouldn’t go amiss. I guess it’s the same in the football where the top clubs get all the best players while the likes of Burnley and Watford struggle to attract anyone of real worth. Though that sport doesn’t have the same financial problems of speedway.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, M.D said:

IF the leagues stay the same in 2023 but with the likely addition of Eastbourne then there will need to be some form of control to spread the top end riders about, maybe a points limit for the top 3 built into the overall team limit

Makes sense. Worry is that the clubs already in existence might not see the big picture and want to hang on to what they have, which would be a shame to say the very least

• Like 1

Teambuilding is about 2 things, timing and money . You have a fair support and youll be competitive and youll be in the market  for virtually anybody at anytime