British Speedway Forum
*JJ

Birmingham Brummies 2022

I'd be surprised if the 2022 side doesn't include Ashley Morris, Jack Thomas and James Shanes.

There were underlying reasons for the attendance reduction at Perry Barr last season. The stop-start nature of the season and the ongoing track problems didn't help, but the biggest problem was actually getting to the stadium in the face of the massive amount of roadworks being done in preparation for next year's Commonwealth Games. In addition, Perry Barr Rail Station has been closed for a year for upgrading, so travelling to the track has been an absolute nightmare.

I live only 12 miles away but getting to the stadium has been taking me anything up to 2 hours.

Some of these roadworks will still be ongoing next season but they will be nearing completion by then so things should be easier and although the train station is not due to re-open until June, the work seems to be ahead of schedule and with an eye on the success of the Games, Birmingham City Council will give completion of the roadworks, top priority.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, old bob at herne bay said:

Who's the "bums on seats"  rider to get the 1000 crowd to break even at Perry Barr ? Thought that was the problem last season - not enough people wanted to watch the Brummies ?

That's just one end of a business plan. That's just a break even without sponsorship etc etc.

59 minutes ago, brianbuck said:

There were underlying reasons for the attendance reduction at Perry Barr last season. The stop-start nature of the season and the ongoing track problems didn't help, but the biggest problem was actually getting to the stadium in the face of the massive amount of roadworks being done in preparation for next year's Commonwealth Games. In addition, Perry Barr Rail Station has been closed for a year for upgrading, so travelling to the track has been an absolute nightmare.

I live only 12 miles away but getting to the stadium has been taking me anything up to 2 hours.

Some of these roadworks will still be ongoing next season but they will be nearing completion by then so things should be easier and although the train station is not due to re-open until June, the work seems to be ahead of schedule and with an eye on the success of the Games, Birmingham City Council will give completion of the roadworks, top priority.

Station is reopen in May 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Argos said:

Just out of interest has Lawrence Rogers ever won any thing in Speedway? He as been in the spot for a very long time been in charge of lots of Teams, but can’t remember anything, Which if that’s the case is CV doesn’t look very impressive, but maybe I’m wrong   

I’m not sure about him winning anything but, what I do know is just about every track he’s ever been involved in, no longer exists !!

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

5 hours ago, Argos said:

Just out of interest has Lawrence Rogers ever won any thing in Speedway? He as been in the spot for a very long time been in charge of lots of Teams, but can’t remember anything, Which if that’s the case is CV doesn’t look very impressive, but maybe I’m wrong   

He’s pretty much saved Birmingham Speedway. That’ll look good on anyones CV. Personally for doing that he deserves freedom of the City.

• Like 4
  • Haha 1

39 minutes ago, Deano said:

He’s pretty much saved Birmingham Speedway. That’ll look good on anyones CV. Personally for doing that he deserves freedom of the City.

With other peoples money judging what you read on here.

• Sad 1

14 hours ago, phillipsr said:

Adam Roynon for a slot somewhere? Hasn't been announced and goes pretty well at Birmingham 

Roynon was great at Perry Barr 15 years ago! He'd have taken a second off the track record if he'd gates just once before he got injured the year he was a Brummie. It saddened me to see him ride so subdued on his visit in ,2021.

6 hours ago, brianbuck said:

Yep! Forgive my sins but my mate who's a Villa season ticket holder and relies upon public transport has missed a few games recently because the public transport is rubbish.  The Metro is also shut for an unknown period & the M6 is still constantly having "improvements'. Took me 2 hours to get home from Coventry Blaze v Belfast Giants Wednesday due to roadworks on the M6 by Spaghetti Junction..

4 hours ago, heathen52 said:

Let me say what i do know about Laurence Rogers, Firstly I have no idea if he owes anyone any money or not, he is a Speedway Fan above all else, he lives, eats, sleeps, breathes Speedway and has done for many years, yes its true that many of his Speedway projects have fallen by the wayside Mildenhall, Newport, to name a few and he has been involved with other Teams such as Coventry and more recently Plymouth, then there was the young American touring Teams put together by Steve Evans and others. Laurence is an ordinary working guy just like you and I who has done his best to try to keep these teams going, yes primarily with other peoples money but had he not tried then the majority of these Teams would have closed down sooner rather than later, Its surely better to have tried and failed then to have not tried at all, he is always willing to give young riders help and assistance to get on in the sport, The other thing that I know about Laurence is that if I contacted him wanted some help with something to do with Speedway he would most likely never say no and that maybe that is his biggest failing if it can be called that. I agree he is probably not the finest team manager that there ever was but thats possibly more to do with budget restrictions than anything else.

My final word, It would probably have been easier for Laurence to walk away from Birmingham speedway and let it be consigned to the history books than to have the hassle and ingratitude of some by trying to keep speedway in Birmingham, but NO speedway is in his blood just like you and I, agreed maybe its not his money but no-one forces these people to put money into clubs that are struggling to survive, one thing is for sure Speedway will be the poorer when he finally decides enough is enough.

Brilliant post. 

Without the likes of Laurence and Neil Vatcher and others, there would be no speedway. The closures of clubs is down to circumstances not Laurence who has for the main part, been a manager. To blame Laurence is like blaming Rosco for the closure of Coventry and Swindon or Lee Kilby for his part at Birmingham, Swindon and Eastbourne. 

• Like 4

Nice to read some posts that are not just about money. We are not all blessed or lucky enough to have earned a fortune of cash to invest into something but, some people can only invest their time. Time isn't always cheap and when given free isn't always noticed.  

• Like 9

On 12/10/2021 at 9:30 AM, szkocjasid said:

Well apparently the following riders aren't wanted by the majority: Auty, Newman, Shanes, Morris & Sedgmen and there's not a lot else out there, it's not easy to pick a team of available riders!

Birmingham 2022?

Ulrich Ostergaard 7.96
Paco Castagna 5.52
Adam Roynon 5.08
Jack Thomas 4.79
Vinnie Foord 2.00
Josh Warren 2.00
Kai Ward 2.00
Total 29.35

I know this won't be the team, but the point I'm trying to make is that's it's easy to say "no I don't want rider A,B or C" but harder to suggest available replacements, which not many do!

1) Sam masters 

2) paco 

3) Kyle Newman 

4) Ryan Douglas

5) Martin Smolinski

6) Adam Roynon

7) jack Thomas 

Hopefully we have a team like this. 

• Haha 2

9 minutes ago, Brummies23 said:

1) Sam masters 

2) paco