British Speedway Forum
Sign in to follow this  
bluebee

Definite future world champions - or not!

Just been passing the time watching some YouTube videos (thank you Clean Cut Sports!) and particularly enjoyed the precocious talents of a young Przemysław Pawlicki . The commentator observes that he was certainly a future world champion in the making. What happened to the exceptional Shamek? Why didn't he even make the GPs? I've looked of Wikipedia and it only goes up to 2010 in his case. I know his brother has been making a name for himself.

Also what other riders at a young age were considered future champions? I don't mean the great riders like Leigh Adams who just didn't make top spot but the shining lights who suddenly faded out of sight - I am sure injuries accounted for some unfortunately.

• Like 1

Arslan Fayzulin

Ryan Fisher

Arthur Sissis

Anders Mellgren

David Howe

5 minutes ago, arnieg said:

Arslan Fayzulin

Ryan Fisher

Arthur Sissis

Anders Mellgren

David Howe

I did see Fayzulin and Sissis as youngsters. I think Egon Müller rated Arslan very high when he was at a training week that Egon attended .

Sissis i thought looked great when up against Mikkel Bech and Mikkelsen with little experience of 80cc and having travelled  half way round the world. I#d guess it was the lure of road racing that stopped his development. Maybe also mental attitude ? But for a couple of days in Denmark he really was a wonder to watch and i would, probably did predict he had a great future. Especially as during the same period i also watched Darcy Ward, Jepsen Jensen, Woryna and some other talented youngsters 

2 hours ago, arnieg said:

Arslan Fayzulin

Ryan Fisher

Arthur Sissis

Anders Mellgren

David Howe

Ryan Fisher a future world champion? Much as I liked him when he road for the Bees I never heard that claimed for him. Maybe crashing his van at a testimonial meeting at Brandon but paid to that. Certainly a champion character!

Also was David Howe that highly rated when he was young? Rated as a good prospect but a world  champion? Maybe I'm wrong.  Saw him at Cardiff and was well off the pace.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, bluebee said:

Ryan Fisher a future world champion? Much as I liked him when he road for the Bees I never heard that claimed for him. Maybe crashing his van at a testimonial meeting at Brandon but paid to that. Certainly a champion character!

Also was David Howe that highly rated when he was young? Rated as a good prospect but a world  champion? Maybe I'm wrong.  Saw him at Cardiff and was well off the pace.

Saw Ryan Fisher at Victorville in 1992 when he was about 10 I think...

Started every race in the "juniors" from 50 yards back and hammered lads five years his senior....

Made a note of his name in the programme I bought given how good he looked and presumed he must go in to great things...

Did pretty well over here initially too I seem to remember then dropped off....

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, mikebv said:

Saw Ryan Fisher at Victorville in 1992 when he was about 10 I think...

Started every race in the "juniors" from 50 yards back and hammered lads five years his senior....

Made a note of his name in the programme I bought given how good he looked and presumed he must go in to great things...

Did pretty well over here initially too I seem to remember then dropped off....

Same thoughts from me. Saw him on the Ca tracks in the early 90''s.   Looked so fast and in control. A safe Kelly Moran was my initial thought. 

• Like 2

21 minutes ago, bluebee said:

Ryan Fisher was fantastic as an under 16 rider, got a special dispensation to ride with the big boys at 15. Everyone on the California speedway circuit was talking about him as the next American superstar. I saw him when he was 14 and remember chatting to his mother about the difficulty in getting opposition that would challenge him to ride against

Edited by arnieg
  • Like 1

Just now, Lefty said:

Same thoughts from me. Saw him on the Ca tracks in the early 90''s.   Looked so fast and in control. A safe Kelly Moran was my initial thought. 

His initial first couple of season averages were pretty much on a par with Hamill and Hancock when they first came over too I seem to remember..

Looked like he didn't have the same focus or discipline to match his undoubted ability...

I personally thought that Dalle Andersen was the most exciting prospect to come out of Sweden in a number of years when he rode for Oxford in 1995. Some of his moves round Cowley were out of the top draw. Made a mistake in returning to "parent" club Cradley in my opinion who rode at Stoke in 1996 and was never the same rider again especially after receiving a bad injury.

Edited by steve roberts

Never thought or seen these words mentioned ever in terms of Ryan Fisher:- 

World Champion & safe. 

People used to go in on Nicki Pedersen for the way he rode but Fisher was far worse imo. 

Only 3 name come to mind as rider's who could have & should have been World Champion are:-

Leigh Adams

Emil Sayfutdinov 

Darcy Ward

I'd give an outside shout out to Fredrick Lindgren too but he's cost himself a few time just by being reckless 

• Like 1

40 minutes ago, steve roberts said:

I personally thought that Dalle Andersen was the most exciting prospect to come out of Sweden in a number of years when he rode for Oxford in 1995. Some of his moves round Cowley were out of the top draw. Made a mistake in returning to "parent" club Cradley in my opinion who rode at Stoke in 1996 and was never the same rider again especially after receiving a bad injury.

Thought exactly the same, he looked class and I thought he was destined for the top.

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, Daniel Smith said:

Never thought or seen these words mentioned ever in terms of Ryan Fisher:- 

World Champion & safe. 

People used to go in on Nicki Pedersen for the way he rode but Fisher was far worse imo. 

Only 3 name come to mind as rider's who could have & should have been World Champion are:-

Leigh Adams

Emil Sayfutdinov 

Darcy Ward

I'd give an outside shout out to Fredrick Lindgren too but he's cost himself a few time just by being reckless 

Have to say that I wasn't that impressed with Ryan Fisher when he rode for Oxford...fell far too many times even when not under pressure!

4 hours ago, arnieg said:

Arslan Fayzulin

Ryan Fisher

Arthur Sissis

Anders Mellgren

David Howe

Actually, thinking back, i know Mellgren won the 80cc title. The first non Dane and was highly rated by TRick, but it was his compatriot, Dennis Andersson, who looked like he might become a top rider.European U19 champ, looking good at Poole i think. What ever happened to him ?

Edited by iris123

59 minutes ago, iris123 said:

Actually, thinking back, i know Mellgren won the 80cc title. The first non Dane and was highly rated by TRick, but it was his compatriot, Dennis Andersson, who looked like he might become a top rider.European U19 champ, looking good at Poole i think. What ever happened to him ?

Add in Sundstrom and THJ and you have a string of under achieving Swedes.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, iris123 said:

I'm pretty sure it was a Good Friday meeting at Coventry vs Poole and I witnessed a masterclass in team riding by Darcy Ward to Shepherd Dennis Andersson home