Full team announced 

Jack Smith
Jack Parkinson-Blackburn 
Harry McGurk
Sam McGurk
Archie Freeman
Nathan Ablitt
Freddie Hodder

Didn't hang about, definitely team Marmite. Built with "potential" but time will tell who pushes onwards and upwards.

51 minutes ago, Rob B said:

Full team announced 

Jack Smith
Jack Parkinson-Blackburn 
Harry McGurk
Sam McGurk
Archie Freeman
Nathan Ablitt
Freddie Hodder

Really pleased for Archie and this move will do him no harm at all! Has been brought up riding Brough Park so riding a totally different track will be great for him. Had a few meetings in the Championship last season although he didn't score much he was getting better meeting by meeting.

Looks a team full of potential and one that stands out for me is JPB when you think of where he was a few years ago with Birmingham if he can get back to that then he could add a couple of points on to his average. But he just reminds me so much of Lewis Bridger, if he's fully committed will certainly be an asset.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Rob B said:

Full team announced 

Jack Smith
Jack Parkinson-Blackburn 
Harry McGurk
Sam McGurk
Archie Freeman
Nathan Ablitt
Freddie Hodder

Just give them the title now!

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

7 minutes ago, szkocjasid said:

Just give them the title now!

Obviously a lot of teams to be announced etc BUT both Jacks have proven to be wasted talents thus far and finishing on 6ish averages in a weakened NDL last year shows that, McGurks had great years and will be the season to show if they can improve or plateau and "i" think the teams success will largely hang on how they do. Freeman is another with plenty of potential and its time to deliver, Ablitt will be tasting life at (or near) number 1 and thats a big step for him. I hope Hodder has taken a big leap forward from when i last saw him and i really wish that the actual 2021 final greensheets would be published so everyone could know whats going on and how teams are being built.

• Like 1

34 minutes ago, Sings4Speedway said:

Obviously a lot of teams to be announced etc BUT both Jacks have proven to be wasted talents thus far and finishing on 6ish averages in a weakened NDL last year shows that, McGurks had great years and will be the season to show if they can improve or plateau and "i" think the teams success will largely hang on how they do. Freeman is another with plenty of potential and its time to deliver, Ablitt will be tasting life at (or near) number 1 and thats a big step for him. I hope Hodder has taken a big leap forward from when i last saw him and i really wish that the actual 2021 final greensheets would be published so everyone could know whats going on and how teams are being built.

This will only be Archie's second full season on a 500? To say it's 'time for him to deliver' when he did very well for his first season in 2021 is a bit harsh?

• Like 1

1 Nathan Ablitt 6.77
2 Jack Smith 6.50
3 Harry McGurk 6.61
4 Sam McGurk 5.92
5 Jack Parkinson Blackburn 6.15
6 Archie Freeman 3.00
7 Freddie Hodder 3.00

Seems like Belle Vue built to a 38 point limit? Wonder if they knew the rules before handing out all their promises of contracts? Or if I've got the averages wrong? Either way, they could have had Paul Bowen rather than Freddy Hodder at reserve? Seems a strange choice not to go for the Pieman. Seems a fans favourite there too, and would had added that little bit of experience to a very inexperienced team... I only say this because the last time I saw Freddy ride, it seemed like the NL was gonna be a BIG step up for him... It's almost like he needs a season in a MDL type league first... Very brave

Edited by Diamonds85

27 minutes ago, Diamonds85 said:
1 Nathan Ablitt 6.77
2 Jack Smith 6.50
3 Harry McGurk 6.61
4 Sam McGurk 5.92
6 Archie Freeman 3.00
7 Freddie Hodder 3.00

Seems like Belle Vue built to a 38 point limit? Wonder if they knew the rules before handing out all their promises of contracts? Or if I've got the averages wrong? Either way, they could have had Paul Bowen rather than Freddy Hodder at reserve? Seems a strange choice not to go for the Pieman. Seems a fans favourite there too, and would had added that little bit of experience to a very inexperienced team... I only say this because the last time I saw Freddy ride, it seemed like the NL was gonna be a BIG step up for him... It's almost like he needs a season in a MDL type league first... Very brave

Paul Bowen as retired 

1 hour ago, Sings4Speedway said:

Think you're a long way out with your assessment there.

Both Jack's are proven wasted talents??    Not even close.

Whilst Jack Smith has rarely been given a proper crack at Championship level, he's an out-and-out No.1 at NDL.   Barely dropped a point at the NSS last year.  He will again be one of the NDL's top stars.  Parkinson-Blackburn was also a near 9-point man until his 2 years out injured.  He looked decent on his comeback last season and should push on now.  Could be fighting Smith for No.1

McGurk, McGurk, Ablitt and Freeman all started last year on 3.00 and made solid progress.   "Time to deliver" seems an odd comment for Freeman.  He's only had half a year at NDL after Newcastle closed and he went to Armadale mid-season.  Though you obviously rate Ablitt as you reckon he'll get up to "at or near No.1".   

Looks a good team to me with a solid top 5, but we wait to see what others come up with.

• Like 1

35 minutes ago, Diamonds85 said:

This will only be Archie's second full season on a 500? To say it's 'time for him to deliver' when he did very well for his first season in 2021 is a bit harsh?

Not intended to be harsh but with a closing average of 3.00 and actual average around 7 and starting at reserve he should be cleaning up in the early stages. 

28 minutes ago, Diamonds85 said:
1 Nathan Ablitt 6.77
2 Jack Smith 6.50
3 Harry McGurk 6.61
4 Sam McGurk 5.92
6 Archie Freeman 3.00
7 Freddie Hodder 3.00

There are obviously final averages out there as all teams have been able to build around them but us normals are not treated to such delicate information, yet another treat of resepect from the Mafia board to the fans

21 minutes ago, PotteringAround said:

Think you're a long way out with your assessment there.

Both Jack's are proven wasted talents??    Not even close.

Whilst Jack Smith has rarely been given a proper crack at Championship level, he's an out-and-out No.1 at NDL.   Barely dropped a point at the NSS last year.  He will again be one of the NDL's top stars.  Parkinson-Blackburn was also a near 9-point man until his 2 years out injured.  He looked decent on his comeback last season and should push on now.  Could be fighting Smith for No.1

McGurk, McGurk, Ablitt and Freeman all started last year on 3.00 and made solid progress.   "Time to deliver" seems an odd comment for Freeman.  He's only had half a year at NDL after Newcastle closed and he went to Armadale mid-season.  Though you obviously rate Ablitt as you reckon he'll get up to "at or near No.1".   

Looks a good team to me with a solid top 5, but we wait to see what others come up with.

If Smith was an out and out NDL number 1 he wouldn't have been available on a 6.5 average mid season, that said looking back over his scores he did perform extremely well at home and solid away so either has a new higher average or will get one soon. JPB is no doubt talented but don't bite the hand that feeds you, although if he had Smiths level of equipment and some application he could be riding top tier by now (so in my humble opinion he is a wasted talent).

Ablitt has had backing and ability since he was a nipper and it was clear then he would go on to better things, Belle Vue will suit him and if he stays grounded i expect a big year from him. 

The clever way the team has been built is that there will always be a strong reserve which is ever important, i still think this team will be in the play offs but handing them the trophy is a bit much. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Diamonds85 said:
1 Nathan Ablitt 6.77
2 Jack Smith 6.50
3 Harry McGurk 6.61
4 Sam McGurk 5.92
6 Archie Freeman 3.00
7 Freddie Hodder 3.00

Isn't that an out of date average for Smith.

Most recent green sheet shows 9.05, and unpublished end of season average (Inc 26 Oct v Kent) should be 8.70

and Hodder would be 2.00)

• Like 1

Looks like the team to beat! 

The McGurks are only going one way after a great debut season! There’s been some criticism for Smith in this thread, but if he can ride anywhere well  it’s the NSS and he’s often had stagnated season so it’ll benefit him to start at the same time as everyone else at a club he knows. Also remember it’s still a weakened NL compared to pre-Covid, it’s just stronger than last season! JPB has had a season to get dialled back in and his average will surely only go up, the question is how much will he push on. 

Then of the 3 newbies, 2 of them are 2 of the best we have in that age group. Ablitt has been pushed around a bit for his young age so hopefully he can settle down this season and just maintaining his average at a new track would show improvement imo but come the business end of the season and he’ll know the fastest way around. Freeman has always impressed me and he did way over 4 meetings last season so he must have a real average now, but we’re being kept in the dark. Then there’s the new kid Hodder, but with a solid team and always potentially the league’s best reserve beside him there’ll be no pressure whatsoever. 

• Like 1

The strength of this team is based on:

Three riders who have improved their averagea every season (Harry McGurk, Sam McGurk & Nathan Ablitt).

One rider who averaged well above 3.00 but didn't race enough meeting to gain an average (Archie Freeman).

One rider who averaged nearly 9.00 (Jack Smith)

I don't think of JPB as a "steal" as he has that average for a reason & know nothing of Freddie Hodder. But as long as JPB keeps his ave Hodder could probably score nothing & they'd still win matches!