British Speedway Forum
Rob B

Belle Vue Colts 2022

25 minutes ago, Islander15 said:

Looks like the team to beat! 

Freeman has always impressed me and he did way over 4 meetings last season so he must have a real average now, but we’re being kept in the dark. 

Freeman has only done 3 matches that count towards a gsa ( the 2 for Newcastle will be removed).

If the Newcastle fixtures hadn't been removed he'd be on 6.36.

• Like 1

43 minutes ago, arnieg said:

Isn't that an out of date average for Smith.

Most recent green sheet shows 9.05, and unpublished end of season average (Inc 26 Oct v Kent) should be 8.70

and Hodder would be 2.00)

The lowest average for NL riders is 3.00 unless that has changed for 2022?

2 hours ago, Sings4Speedway said:

If Smith was an out and out NDL number 1 he wouldn't have been available on a 6.5 average mid season, that said looking back over his scores he did perform extremely well at home and solid away so either has a new higher average or will get one soon. JPB is no doubt talented but don't bite the hand that feeds you, although if he had Smiths level of equipment and some application he could be riding top tier by now (so in my humble opinion he is a wasted talent).

Ablitt has had backing and ability since he was a nipper and it was clear then he would go on to better things, Belle Vue will suit him and if he stays grounded i expect a big year from him. 

The clever way the team has been built is that there will always be a strong reserve which is ever important, i still think this team will be in the play offs but handing them the trophy is a bit much. 

Smith wasn't an out and out number one when he signed but he was by the end of the season! With the league weaker again, can only see his average going up!

8 hours ago, Sings4Speedway said:

Not intended to be harsh but with a closing average of 3.00 and actual average around 7 and starting at reserve he should be cleaning up in the early stages. 

There are obviously final averages out there as all teams have been able to build around them but us normals are not treated to such delicate information, yet another treat of resepect from the Mafia board to the fans

He will. Look at his performances for Armadale at the NSS last year and he appeared and starred in the top 4 heats. He rode with a dash and was starting to work out the right lines, something we talked to him about at the weekend. Plus he has top equipment for next year, and he is now with a top tuner who has great faith in him.

10 hours ago, Diamonds85 said:
1 Nathan Ablitt 6.77
2 Jack Smith 6.50
3 Harry McGurk 6.61
4 Sam McGurk 5.92
5 Jack Parkinson Blackburn 6.15
6 Archie Freeman 3.00
7 Freddie Hodder 3.00

Seems like Belle Vue built to a 38 point limit? Wonder if they knew the rules before handing out all their promises of contracts? Or if I've got the averages wrong? Either way, they could have had Paul Bowen rather than Freddy Hodder at reserve? Seems a strange choice not to go for the Pieman. Seems a fans favourite there too, and would had added that little bit of experience to a very inexperienced team... I only say this because the last time I saw Freddy ride, it seemed like the NL was gonna be a BIG step up for him... It's almost like he needs a season in a MDL type league first... Very brave

Paul Bowen had previously announced he was retiring due to work commitments etc. Looks like he's not completely retiring but don't think he wants to commit for a season.

11 hours ago, Diamonds85 said:

This will only be Archie's second full season on a 500? To say it's 'time for him to deliver' when he did very well for his first season in 2021 is a bit harsh?

Fans have to remember that the team has been built with a mixture of experience likes of jack Smith & Parkinson Blackburn at this level & the 2 brothers Harry & Sam & then there's ablitt who has decent experience at this level & toon boy Archie Freeman & young hodder .. not a bad side in my opinion & the boys must be excited to be riding the best track in the country .. so any doubters please realize what the boys are doing on track ( trying there best )

GREAT TEAM

I personally think Sam McGurk could be the secret weapon this season, let's remember this lad is still only 15 !!! and was sidelined early in the season with a broken femur. To come back after a major accident like that was amazing. I really believe Belle vue might have another Dan Bewley in the making if they can nurture the lad over the next couple of seasons 

• Like 1

More than pleased with the team.

Last year produced good matches and entertaining meetings.

I am hoping young Sam will make significant progress next year.

Signing Archie Freeman reminds me of another geordie who rode at Hyde road…. Mike Hiftle

Mike could not get in the colts side and He rode for Glasgow in the top division…. He averaged around 5.5 which is good going in his first season in the top division

He did ride for the Aces later on

Have heard Nathan Ablitt is Poole bound, don't know anything about him, is he good 

On 12/16/2021 at 12:27 AM, Justgotmecpc said:

Fans have to remember that the team has been built with a mixture of experience likes of jack Smith & Parkinson Blackburn at this level & the 2 brothers Harry & Sam & then there's ablitt who has decent experience at this level & toon boy Archie Freeman & young hodder .. not a bad side in my opinion & the boys must be excited to be riding the best track in the country .. so any doubters please realize what the boys are doing on track ( trying there best )

Can't imagine there will be many doubters, looks the strongest team by far imo!

The NDL should be about developing riders.

Last year there was some great entertaining racing watching the Colts… hope formore of the same in 2022.

it was great watching the young uns develop

• Thanks 1

On 1/5/2022 at 3:58 PM, KIRKYLANE said:

Signing Archie Freeman reminds me of another geordie who rode at Hyde road…. Mike Hiftle

Mike could not get in the colts side and He rode for Glasgow in the top division…. He averaged around 5.5 which is good going in his first season in the top division

He did ride for the Aces later on

Went to the same school and Boys Club(same as Mike Watkin). Mike H was alway a happy go lucky lad and daft enough to try anything, so I wasn't surprised at all that he became a speedway rider. Never heard anything about him for years, so not sure if he has left the area(North East).

Edited by Tsunami

Saddened to hear that Jack Parkinson Blackburn has lost his equipment due to a fire where his workshop was.

Hope he can sort everything out

• Sad 1

On 2/6/2022 at 12:55 PM, KIRKYLANE said:

Saddened to hear that Jack Parkinson Blackburn has lost his equipment due to a fire where his workshop was.

Hope he can sort everything out

Seems Jack Parkinson-Blackburn had a self-contained workshop within one of the units that was completely gutted in this fire

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-leeds-60057425

He's lost both of his bikes and all of his tools and equipment.   If anyone can help him, there's a "Go Fund Me" page here:-

https://gofund.me/ca7617db