British Speedway Forum
Sign in to follow this  
Doners123

Plymouth 2022

Atkins, Trigger & Ward all but nailed I would have thought & all local. Richard Andrews has been riding forever with little improvement - but could be a cover for injuries.

I'm sure Mark Phillips would love to see some young Cornish talent in the team, but with little or no Grasstrack in the Dutchy is there any?

If there's 5.05 left for the final rider I'd go with Jamie Halder every day of the week... Very underrated NL rider imo...

Only other options I could think of would be David Wallinger or Joe Alcock if he's returning... I heard last year that Wallinger was looking for a team, but that never came of anything, so I dunno if he's still considering? The only other logical average that could fit would be George Rothery... But that's a canny hike for him every Tuesday :D

Actually I've got it!!

1 Dan Gilkes 10.30
2 Adam Extance 5.67
3 Richard Andrews 6.55
4 Charley Powell 5.00
5 Henry Atkins 5.86
6 Ben Trigger 3.57
7 Eli Meadows 3.00

Few returnees :D

6 minutes ago, Diamonds85 said:

Actually I've got it!!

1 Dan Gilkes 10.30
2 Adam Extance 5.67
3 Richard Andrews 6.55
4 Charley Powell 5.00
5 Henry Atkins 5.86
6 Ben Trigger 3.57
7 Eli Meadows 3.00

Few returnees :D

6 out of 7 correct imo

15 minutes ago, lewy said:

6 out of 7 correct imo

Can only get 6 right, since they're only naming 6.

Seems an odd thing to do.    If they've got all 7 signed, why not name all 7?   If they've only got 6 signed up, then they're giving target no.7 a lot of bargaining power!

3 minutes ago, PotteringAround said:

Can only get 6 right, since they're only naming 6.

Seems an odd thing to do.    If they've got all 7 signed, why not name all 7?   If they've only got 6 signed up, then they're giving target no.7 a lot of bargaining power!

Its a development league i don't think bargaining power will come into it personally ,most youngsters at this level are just happy to get a team place imo

Just now, lewy said:

Its a development league i don't think bargaining power will come into it personally ,most youngsters at this level are just happy to get a team place imo

Bit naive that.   If they've got (say) a 5.05 hole and you're that 5.00 rider, then I'd be asking an extra 5 quid a point.

• Like 1

Not a bad team. Gilkes could be the league’s top rider (Bickley will have something to say about that though!). Atkins in on a false average and Andrews is prolific at home. Those 3 should get them the home win alone most weeks. Best of luck to Extance coming back and he’s always been a rider I enjoyed watching. The might find it a bit tougher at the bottom end though as I’m not sure how good Meadows will perform which puts some pressure on young Trigger. Hopefully they can find a proper number 2 to give those two a season at reserve but I have a feeling they might be under the points limit. 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Islander15 said:

Not a bad team. Gilkes could be the league’s top rider (Bickley will have something to say about that though!). Atkins in on a false average and Andrews is prolific at home. Those 3 should get them the home win alone most weeks. Best of luck to Extance coming back and he’s always been a rider I enjoyed watching. The might find it a bit tougher at the bottom end though as I’m not sure how good Meadows will perform which puts some pressure on young Trigger. Hopefully they can find a proper number 2 to give those two a season at reserve but I have a feeling they might be under the points limit. 

From what I've seen of Eli I've been impressed tbh, a lot of people say he's not ready but I really don't understand that, which is why I keep bringing up his name over and over. HOWEVER, I have only ever seen him at practice days at Scunthorpe and Leicester, riding by himself, I know riding with 3 others in a race is totally different. Let's see how he gets on. Ben Trigger will be an excellent reserve, especially at Plymouth. Top 5 looks powerful too, looks like a decent side imo. :t:

1 hour ago, Islander15 said:

Andrews is prolific at home. 

He really isn't and is a massive waste of a team spot. Lovely lad is Richard but he simply hasn't cut it in lord knows how many goes he's had at speedway. He'll have one or two meetings where he'll score 8 or 9 points and everyone will say how great he is but I'd sooner have seen Plymouth go with an unknown 3 pointer who could develop. What's worse is his average is way above his level so all in all a shocker of a signing.

The other 5 though, pretty good I reckon. Extance always looked a bit awkward at Plymouth mind and will be interesting to see how he comes back from injury, always good off the gate though and that will make him competitive at home.

1 hour ago, torpointfanatic22 said:

He really isn't and is a massive waste of a team spot.

Don't see that at all.   He's a good guy and he'll be good value on a 6.55 average.  He'll increase that around Plymouth in this league.  Looking like a decent team depending on the last signing.  

Dan Gilkes will be the league's top star.  But he starts on a huge 10+ average, so you need him scoring a near-maximum in nearly every match just to hold his value.  I rate him highly, but I think after the little Kent track, he'd have done better going to a big track like Belle Vue to progress.  Not sure what he'll learn at Plymouth.  But from Plymouth's point of view he'll rack up the points.

Andrews and Atkins are on good averages for heat leaders.  Atkins will make an absolute mockery of 5.86 so they'll have 3 very strong riders at the top end.  Second-strings could be the weakness.   I don't rate Extance at all.  Like Andrews he's approaching his 30th birthday, but I can't remember him ever completing a season without quitting or getting injured or both.  We await news on the other second string.   Ben Trigger will do fine at reserve.  He's a nice enthusiastic lad, and a lightning gater, which is all you need at Plymouth.   Eli Meadows seems a decent enough youngster and just needs to be allowed to progress at his own rate.

Plymouth should easily go unbeaten at home, and could shock a few away.

Gilkes as stated looks the leagues top rider and will likely max out almost wherever he goes but as a home track im not sure it is really any benefit doubling up. Atkins is on a false average but has stalled for the past few seasons due to injuries etc, looked like he could have been Flint level but is getting left behind and does need a strong season this year.

Andrews an obvious enough choice but uninspiring and always has question marks over his kit. Extance looks a high average to me and will offer little away. Meadows in my opinion features due to age rather than ability and will frustrate some. 

Trigger and the remaining rider is key. If its a strong final signing then there will always be one good reserve all year, if its poor or even a 3 pointer it looks another missed opportunity side.

• Like 1