Beat the Bookie GP prize competition 2024 Read more... ×
British Speedway Forum

Its been announced its at Oxford august 12th, the night before the GP

So if you want to plan ahead

So a heads up for anyone wanting to book accomodation, 

Premier Inn Cowley a 10 minute walk from stadium

Holiday Inn Express and Hampton by Hilton both by the Kasstad and 20 minute walk from stadium

There are newly opened Premier Inns in the Citycentre and Botley which is just off the A34

Both on very regular bus routes which will get you to a couple of minutes walk from the stadium , you'll have to change in the Citycentre if going from Botley. From Citycentre all you need is a return ticket from Botley a daypass to cover all bus operators, currently £3.80 return or £4.30 for a day pass

Theres a Travelodge on the Abingdon rd, and a Jury's hotel in Wolvercote

Obviously lots of other hotels and BnB's around from very expensive to very cheap, ive just chosen big chain hotels that are normally not a rip off price to let anyone who wants to book well in advance know about

Edited by Triple.H.
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 2

Also an Easy hotel has recently opened in Summertown, I haven't a clue about their carparking arrangements. It's also a couple of bus rides away from the stadium on busy and frequent routes.

Oxford most days is pretty gridlocked. Fridays can be worst as A34 is chockablock with shed taggers during the summer

Just trying to get myself sorted for the GP weekend and I notice that the CL Pairs is not listed on the Speedway GB fixtures for August. Can anyone confirm that the 12th August at Oxford is correct. Thanks in advance.

I would guess that the promotion at Oxford will wish to hold out for a few weeks as they expect the maximum capacity to increase from its existing 2000.

The first two events at Cowley have sold out (Long may that continue) & as the work there gets closer to its finish I think the capacity can near double

Getting a bit concerned now about no news of tickets for sale. I’ve booked accommodation for the night which I can cancel with no penalty up to one month before the date ( July 12th ). After that day I lose the lot if I can’t get a ticket. 

• Like 1

50 minutes ago, Cliffeboy said:

Getting a bit concerned now about no news of tickets for sale. I’ve booked accommodation for the night which I can cancel with no penalty up to one month before the date ( July 12th ). After that day I lose the lot if I can’t get a ticket. 

I don't mean any disrespect. But I feel putting this issue on an open public forum is not going to help you at all. Can I suggest that you make contact with the BSPA and/or Oxford speedway direct as they will be the only ones who can possibly assist you with this.

• Haha 1

21 minutes ago, Technik said:

I don't mean any disrespect. But I feel putting this issue on an open public forum is not going to help you at all. Can I suggest that you make contact with the BSPA and/or Oxford speedway direct as they will be the only ones who can possibly assist you with this.

Understand that completely. However just put it on here to see if other people are concerned as well. Never had this sort of carry on at Somerset which was a great venue and always ran the event brilliantly. I shall be getting in touch with Oxford next week anyway.

• Like 1

They always mention the pairs meeting, during one of the gaps in the racing,  when discussing what meetings are still to come this year. They definitely give the impression the meeting will be on at Oxford on August 12th.

1 hour ago, Anzum said:

They always mention the pairs meeting, during one of the gaps in the racing,  when discussing what meetings are still to come this year. They definitely give the impression the meeting will be on at Oxford on August 12th.

I think the issue is that it is a shared event, so some of the decisions are out of the Oxford promotions hands.

7 hours ago, Technik said:

I contacted Oxford direct, weeks ago, simply to get a start time so that I could plan my onward journey to Cardiff. I'm glad I didn't hold my breath.

Edit: I see the meeting is listed on both the Oxford and BSPL websites as 7:30 start

Edited by False dawn

Sorry I have to say this typical , once again of Speedway in this country not looking out for the supporters. The meeting is a month away and still no ticket info. What about all the travelling supporters, we must all be in the same situation regarding hotels!!!.

Pathetic.

E mailed Sunday no reply today. 

I emailed Oxford last Wednesday  …… no reply as yet.

I’ve rung them several times ….. always get “beep beep beep” cancelled call !?

It looks like tickets for home team meetings go on sale a week before the fixture.

8 minutes ago, oleoleole said:

I emailed Oxford last Wednesday  …… no reply as yet.

I’ve rung them several times ….. always get “beep beep beep” cancelled call !?

It looks like tickets for home team meetings go on sale a week before the fixture.

It's a shared event so it may be the BSPL who are [not] selling tickets.

It would be nice to know.

DO not expect any reply from any speedway promotion!

• Thanks 1