British Speedway Forum
Sign in to follow this  
brianbuck

Norwich

Is there anything remaining of the old track at Hevingham which was only used once in 1976? If there is (as I've been told there is)' couldn't something be done there to get speedway back to a City where it once thrived?

31 minutes ago, brianbuck said:

Is there anything remaining of the old track at Hevingham which was only used once in 1976? If there is (as I've been told there is)' couldn't something be done there to get speedway back to a City where it once thrived?

Supposedly a one-off black meeting behind the Marsham Arms on Holt Road in Hevingham.  Seems to have been some short-lived Banger racing.  Wouldn't expect anything to be visible now, and can't see anything on Google Earth satellite images.

Edited by PotteringAround

Showground's still the best bet but it wd have to be someone credible with proof of ££ after last time

Norwich surely very unlikely with Kings Lynn , Ipswich, Peterborough and Mildenhall already in the area.

Back in the day of the Norwich Stars at " The Firs"  they were the only East Anglian club in the top division with Ipswich operating in the  lower divisions.

Oh yes, local competition is one of the things that has killed speedway, along with television, the internet...

Unlikely I would think that Mr Chapman would enthusiastically  welcome a Norwich revival. Speedway has always been ruled by self interest of most.

Yes the land behind the Marsham Arms at Hevingham where Cyril Crane staged an unlicensed meeting with junior riders around Xmas time in 1976 and had plans to introduce 2 Division racing is still not developed. What stopped it was the poor entrance to the venue on a main road in front of a virtual blind bend where vehicles are going fast onto where vehicles would turn into the venue and speedway and Council authorities being unimpressed by Cyrils total disregard to rules. Shame cause at the time it would have worked as a 1970's National League venue with Norwich being a hotbed of speedway interest and Cyrils competence/experience in building and running speedway tracks. The venue had the potential to be improved/expanded and progress to the British League with Norwich's and Norfolks large catchment area.

It could still be turned into a speedway venue but that would take bravery when taking into account speedways decline/ageing fanbase, big finances and a thick skin to battle those already involved in the sport, namely current tracks nearest to Norwich who'd see speedway returning to Norwich as a major threat to their crowd levels. - Personally I don't think that many fans from the Norwich and East Norfolk area go to speedway at King's Lynn, Ipswich or Mildenhall so a new Norwich speedway set up wouldn't have a negative effect on their attendance levels.

The best place for speedway to return to Norwich would be at the Norfolk Showground on the outskirts of the City but as another poster points out, after the last attempts there nearly a decade ago Showground owners, the Norfolk Agricultural Society would need assurances any prospective promotors would actually be able to afford to do it!  

I live in hope I'll see speedway again in my home City but I'm getting on so I won't be able to live in hope for too much longer!!!

Edited by 25yearfan
  • Like 2

I don't think there is any chance of speedway at the showground, the housing is now very close with even more planned. I believe that when the Firs closed the showground area was the preferred site, but then it wasn't as built up. There are massive developments planned at Easton as well as those already built up to the Showground.

A few years ago there was a proposal for Swaffham Raceway to have Speedway, but I think King's Lynn objected saying it was too close.

I'm not sure how distant the City of Norwich is from King's Lynn, but it certainly is a long way away from Ipswich, Peterborough and Mildenhall so I can't see any grounds for any of these tracks objecting to a Norwich revival. Having said this though, I am well aware that this has been the case in the past - but never to my knowledge from any of the Midlands tracks.

When Joe Thurley brought Birmingham back in 1971, it was at a venue only 9 miles from Wolverhampton, 10 miles from Cradley Heath, and 18 miles from Coventry, yet all three welcomed a resumption in Birmingham - and in fact the only objection was from Leicester (42 miles distant) - but only on the grounds that Thurley's original intention was to run on Tuesday nights which was then Leicester's race night. When Joe changed his proposed race night to Mondays, the objection was withdrawn.

As far as Norwich and the other tracks mentioned are concerned, I would be very surprised if more thaqn a handful of supporters patronised more than one of them.

I fully sympathise with 25 year fan on his frustration. I know what it is like - I waited 21 years for my beloved Brummies to come back!

• Like 1

Mildenhall speedway is virtually the same distance from Norwich as what King's Lynn is and Ipswich is only a few miles further. I know in the past Ipswich speedway have got quite a few supporters from the South Norfolk area cause its closer than King's Lynn. People underestimate how big a County Norfolk is. For many in South Norfolk, Colchester in Essex is closer than King's Lynn and places in North Norfolk. 

I've heard from reliable sources that a certain Norfolk speedway promotion in the past would have liked Mildenhall speedway not running cause their theory is some of Mildenhalls regular support would switch over to them, something which in reality doesn't occur in any substantial numbers. In fact when a track closes most of its crowd stop going to speedway altogether.

I wonder what effect on crowd levels, two of Britains Midlands speedway hotbeds Coventry and Cradley reopening in current times would have on existing West Midlands outfits Birmingham and Wolves and even East Midlands outfit Leicester? Do many Coventry and Cradley fans still go to speedway at other venues?

Edited by 25yearfan

6 minutes ago, 25yearfan said:

Mildenhall speedway is virtually the same distance from Norwich as what King's Lynn is and Ipswich is only a few miles further. I know in the past Ipswich speedway have got quite a few supporters from the South Norfolk area cause its closer than King's Lynn. People underestimate how big a County Norfolk is. For many in South Norfolk, Colchester in Essex is closer than King's Lynn and places in North Norfolk. 

I've heard from reliable sources that a certain Norfolk speedway promotion in the past would have liked Mildenhall speedway not running cause their theory is some of Mildenhalls regular support would switch over to them, something in reality doesn't occur in any substantial numbers. In fact when a track closes most of its crowd stop going to speedway altogether.

I wonder what effect on crowd levels, two of Britains Midlands speedway hotbeds Coventry and Cradley reopening in current times would have on existing West Midlands outfits Birmingham and Wolves and even East Midlands outfit Leicester? Do many Coventry and Cradley fans still go to speedway at other venues?

In answer to your final sentence re Cradley Fans attending other venues, Im told there are a fair few Cradley fans that attend Monmore reguarly at a guess somewhere between 50/100 it may be more but certainly not less than 50, as for Cradley fans that attend Birmingham there are a few, I myself go on the odd occasion and always see Cradley fans sprinkled around.

33 minutes ago, heathen52 said:

In answer to your final sentence re Cradley Fans attending other venues, Im told there are a fair few Cradley fans that attend Monmore reguarly at a guess somewhere between 50/100 it may be more but certainly not less than 50, as for Cradley fans that attend Birmingham there are a few, I myself go on the odd occasion and always see Cradley fans sprinkled around.

And Stoke, but not enough to make a real difference.

When I lived in Norwich , went to KL and Ipswich for most meetings , Boston on occasions

Edited by wealdstone

5 hours ago, 25yearfan said:

Fourth largest out of forty odd in England.