British Speedway Forum
Sign in to follow this  
brianbuck

Norwich

6 hours ago, 25yearfan said:

Mildenhall speedway is virtually the same distance from Norwich as what King's Lynn is and Ipswich is only a few miles further. I know in the past Ipswich speedway have got quite a few supporters from the South Norfolk area cause its closer than King's Lynn. People underestimate how big a County Norfolk is. For many in South Norfolk, Colchester in Essex is closer than King's Lynn and places in North Norfolk. 

When I read about the distance I didn’t believe it.  So I checked and Norwich to Kings Lynn is 45 mile, Norwich to Ipswich 45 mile, and Norwich to Mildenhall 43 mile. I was amazed.

• Like 1

Used to be quite isolated back in Fundins day (sure he said that in his biog). But now i can't see it happening with other tracks running pretty close by

Yes thats why there's more than a few Norwich City football fans who often attend Ipswich speedway rather than fellow Norfolk outfit King's Lynn speedway!

Edited by 25yearfan

I'm still a regular KL fan. Now live near Loddon (south east Norfolk) - hour and 10mins to KL and Ippo is about the same for me. Norwich closed the year I was born, so would love a Norwich team to support, would reduce my mileage no end - as long a track is decent shape / size (like Belle Vue would be ideal!!). Don't think there are many regulars travelling from Norwich area  like me these days so doubt a Norwich track would affect KL numbers to any great degree.

Unfortunately don't think there are many places round Norwich you could easily set up a track, most places, like the showground, have too many houses nearby and too much NIMBY opposition. Without strong council support will never get off the ground. Stupid thing is, in the right place with the right promotion, Norwich is a decent sized city and likely to attract good crowds. 

It is remarkable that only in British Speedway can we hear on the one hand a shortage of riders (even with almost everyone doubling up), and yet speculative discussions of new tracks opening....... 

In the case of Norwich, any former Norwich speedway supporters will have long lost interest and moved on. . I doubt there are enough speedway folk left in Norfolk and Suffolk combined to support another track without impacting on the existing tracks at KL Ippo and Mildy. (not to mention PBoro.)

• Like 2

The first time I saw Norwich was at Hyde road with Ove Fundin and Olle Nygren as their top two..what a great spearhead for a team

• Like 1

Fundin and Nygren backed up by  "Gentleman"  Aub Lawson in the twilight of his career I seem to recall. 

There's a trio that would frighten the lives out of today's "SGP sooperstar"  riders.

Always wondered what would happen in a tussle between Mr N. Pedersen and any of Ove , Olle and Aub. :-) :-)

• Like 1

Over 850,000 people live in Norfolk, 213,000 of them in Norwich then 63,000 to the East in Great Yarmouth!

I still think theirs enough people in the Norwich and East Norfolk area that currently don't go to speedway who'd be interested in spectating at a new track in Norwich without impacting on the nearby Ipswich, King's Lynn and Mildenhall tracks. I doubt anyone from the Norwich area goes regularly to Peterborough speedway which is the best part of 2 hours drive away!

As for riders well as is the same with fans the more tracks the more people come out of the woodwork to spectate and ride. Indeed one of East Anglia's greatest riders ever John Louis only took up speedway once speedway returned to Foxhall in 1969. - If Messrs John Berry and Joe Thurley wouldn't have reopened in 1969 its highly unlikely Louis would of even thought about speedway! 

Edited by 25yearfan
  • Like 1

25yearfan,

You would think getting say a thousand out of 213,000 to a speedway track near Norwich wouldn't be a problem. 

London has a population of nearly 9 million, and you were lucky to see a thousand of  'em turn up at Lakeside Speedway. 

Point taken about Tiger Louis, who came from a moto X background into speedway.  But with so many double up riders it is hard to see where decent heatleader standard riders for any new teams would come from. Lots have retired unable to make it pay.  Sure there are plenty of young  trainees keen to practice their mistakes at National League level ...... but hardly likely to attract a new audience to a new track.

Oxford will be interesting .... they have been fortunate to join with EB and Kent pulling out of the CL freeing up some riders. Lets hope they can attract a viable crowd from the  150,000 population of Oxford .

On 1/2/2022 at 6:29 PM, old bob at herne bay said:

It is remarkable that only in British Speedway can we hear on the one hand a shortage of riders (even with almost everyone doubling up), and yet speculative discussions of new tracks opening......

In the case of Norwich, any former Norwich speedway supporters will have long lost interest and moved on. . I doubt there are enough speedway folk left in Norfolk and Suffolk combined to support another track without impacting on the existing tracks at KL Ippo and Mildy. (not to mention PBoro.)

Well there wasn't a problem in the early 60's and the formation of the Provincial League, when there were loads of 50's riders swinging their leg over a bike to ride again.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Tsunami said:

Well there wasn't a problem in the early 60's and the formation of the Provincial League, when there were loads of 50's riders swinging their leg over a bike to ride again.

I am not quite old enough, but I believe the 'Provincial league' was a 2nd or maybe 3rd division league? I was speaking to a friend of mine recently, who keeps up to date with non-league speedway stuff and it appears there are many non-league riders looking to ride. Yes, many 'wobblers', many up-righters, which might mean some 'old boys', but they are out there. I think speedway needs to look 'outside the box'! :) 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Tsunami said:

wasn't a problem 68/69 either

• Like 2

10 hours ago, Ray Stadia said:

I am not quite old enough, but I believe the 'Provincial league' was a 2nd or maybe 3rd division league? I was speaking to a friend of mine recently, who keeps up to date with non-league speedway stuff and it appears there are many non-league riders looking to ride. Yes, many 'wobblers', many up-righters, which might mean some 'old boys', but they are out there. I think speedway needs to look 'outside the box'! :) 

The Provincial league was a pirate league set up in 1960 by a string of promoters with Mike Parker and Reg Fearman plus others. The then British League was struggling, but it was the league that was recognised by national and international organisations. The situation came to an impasse in about 1964/5 when Lord Shawcross was appointed by the RAC to furnish a settlement which resulted in one British League, with all teams to be built to the strength of the winners of the Provincial League in 1964 which was an Ivan Mauger led Newcastle team. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

34 minutes ago, Tsunami said:

The Provincial league was a pirate league set up in 1960 by a string of promoters with Mike Parker and Reg Fearman plus others. The then British League was struggling, but it was the league that was recognised by national and international organisations. The situation came to an impasse in about 1964/5 when Lord Shawcross was appointed by the RAC to furnish a settlement which resulted in one British League, with all teams to be built to the strength of the winners of the Provincial League in 1964 which was an Ivan Mauger led Newcastle team. 

Very interesting. Thank you. 

Yes there is some interesting information there, but the point I was trying to make is that surely, the Hevingham site is worth another look?