British Speedway Forum
Sign in to follow this  
brianbuck

Norwich

On 1/5/2022 at 11:03 AM, Tsunami said:

The Provincial league was a pirate league set up in 1960 by a string of promoters with Mike Parker and Reg Fearman plus others. The then British League was struggling, but it was the league that was recognised by national and international organisations. The situation came to an impasse in about 1964/5 when Lord Shawcross was appointed by the RAC to furnish a settlement which resulted in one British League, with all teams to be built to the strength of the winners of the Provincial League in 1964 which was an Ivan Mauger led Newcastle team. 

Not quite correct. Although the mixed car/bike meetings operated by the likes of Mike Parker and Jesse Halliday were run without permission in 1959, leading to those participating being suspended, the subsequent Provincial League formed in 1960 operated under the Speedway Control Board, and continued to do so until the 1964 season when the National League tried to force the 1963 PL champions Wolverhampton to join their league against promoter Mike Parker's wishes. Parker refused to join the NL leading to the PL operating as a pirate league in 1964.

On 1/5/2022 at 4:55 PM, brianbuck said:

Yes there is some interesting information there, but the point I was trying to make is that surely, the Hevingham site is worth another look?

The track was behind the Marsham Arms pub on the Holt Road. As far as I know the field it was in has not been developed, and you can still see the outline of the track from the air. I would be very surprised if those looking to bring speedway back to Norwich had'nt looked at the site.

Mike Parker was a very uncompromising businessman who was much disliked as a speedway promoter, but he does deserve enormous credit for the launch of the Provincial League in 1960. The league transformed speedways' fortunes as it allowed new promoters to bring the sport profitably back to numerous venues. Very many riders of fairly modest ability had been forced into retirement during the slump years because there had been no opportunities for them at the surviving National League tracks, so the advent of the Provincial League allowed them the chance to resurrect their careers. The fact that Provincial League pay rates were set low (I believe the rate was 12/6 per point) didn't particularly bother them since most of them were part-time riders anyway.

What could have strangled the league at birth though, was the way that the Southern based teams, notably Rayleigh, Bristol and Poole concentrated on bringing back riders who had only recently retired, which created a definite division between their strong teams at the top end of the league, and those of the Northern clubs who mainly used ex Belle Vue junior riders (even though quite a number were "veteran" juniors, and had no chance of matching their Southern counterparts.

All told though, the new league proved to be a huge success, and as a Birmingham supporter with no team to follow at the time, I soon transfered my secondary allegiance from Coventry to Cradley Heath where the racing seemed to be more competitive.

What all this has to do with Norwich though, is beyond me!

Edited by brianbuck
  • Like 5

On 1/9/2022 at 2:07 PM, HertsRacer said:

The track was behind the Marsham Arms pub on the Holt Road. As far as I know the field it was in has not been developed, and you can still see the outline of the track from the air. I would be very surprised if those looking to bring speedway back to Norwich had'nt looked at the site.

It definitely hasn't, I used to work at the Marsham Arms in front of it and go past it on each trip to Norwich.

I doubt unfortunately that Speedway will ever come back to Norwich . at least while those in charge at KL have any input.

52 minutes ago, wealdstone said:

I doubt unfortunately that Speedway will ever come back to Norwich . at least while those in charge at KL have any input.

Yes King's Lynn combined with Ipswich and Mildenhall would try to hinder any attempts to reopen speedway in Norwich cause they think their crowds would be affected but I think even in todays lean times all four tracks could survive running at the same time.

17 minutes ago, 25yearfan said:

Yes King's Lynn combined with Ipswich and Mildenhall would try to hinder any attempts to reopen speedway in Norwich cause they think their crowds would be affected but I think even in todays lean times all four tracks could survive running at the same time.

There is a law now called Restriction of Trade..whatever the BSPA might or might not say..such a ban would be illegal..unless it deliberately flauts uk civil law.