Beat the Bookie GP prize competition 2024 Read more... ×
British Speedway Forum
Sign in to follow this  
enotian

Collins' vs Pedersen's

Jensen - Finn, Jesper, Mikkel Bech, Michael Jepsen, Rasmus, Steen, Claes...

Johansson - Tommy, Uno, Lillebror, Tobias, Stefan, Robert, Jorgen...

6 minutes ago, PotteringAround said:

Aub, Louis, Steve, Richard, Willie....

That's what I had!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, iris123 said:

Could only remember Peter and Les in the final. My bad 

I'll forgive you :wink:

Always reckon Phil and Les are a closer match than most would suggest. Sure, Les had some standout individual success, particularly in 82. But Phil was a better rider for England than Les.

2 hours ago, chunky said:

Not necessarily to the same strength, but other names that could field teams are:

Jackson - Alan, Dave, Dave, John, Peter, Wayne, Rob, Gerry...

Syd, Star Riders' finalist in five consecutive years, 1930-34.

21 minutes ago, norbold said:

Syd, Star Riders' finalist in five consecutive years, 1930-34.

Good call...

Is there a team of Parkers? Asking for an anorak. :wink:

1 hour ago, falcace said:

Is there a team of Parkers? Asking for an anorak. :wink:

Struggling at the moment. Have Jack, Norman, Dennis, Len, and Shane...

17 hours ago, falcace said:

I'll forgive you :wink:

Always reckon Phil and Les are a closer match than most would suggest. Sure, Les had some standout individual success, particularly in 82. But Phil was a better rider for England than Les.

Les on top form was truly world class (add the 80 BLRC to his 82 performances). From 83-86 Phil was the better rider though ( and Les was arguably surpassed by Neil as well from 85), with thr highlight being the overseas title win in the wet.

I see your point, but to me there is no question that they rank Peter, Les, Phil, Neil, Stephen.  If there's a question mark, it's whether Neil's longevity places him ahead of Phil (personally, I'd say not).

4 hours ago, chunky said:

Struggling at the moment. Have Jack, Norman, Dennis, Len, and Shane...

There was Roger Parker who had a not very spectacular short stint with Stoke in the early 70s before being killed at a grasstrack meeting.   And Rob Parker who rode at NDL and MDL level a couple of years ago, and who I believe was the grandson of Norman and great-nephew of Jack.

Edited by PotteringAround

52 minutes ago, PotteringAround said:

There was Roger Parker who had a not very spectacular short stint with Stoke in the early 70s before being killed at a grasstrack meeting.   And Rob Parker who rode at NDL and MDL level a couple of years ago, and who I believe was the grandson of Norman and great-nephew of Jack.

Oops! Should have remembered Roger!

2 hours ago, waiheke1 said:

Les on top form was truly world class (add the 80 BLRC to his 82 performances). From 83-86 Phil was the better rider though ( and Les was arguably surpassed by Neil as well from 85), with thr highlight being the overseas title win in the wet.

I see your point, but to me there is no question that they rank Peter, Les, Phil, Neil, Stephen.  If there's a question mark, it's whether Neil's longevity places him ahead of Phil (personally, I'd say not).

I wouldn't ask anyone outside to debate that. The anorak in me likes the age ranking order alongside their biggest achievements...

Peter - 1st World Final
Les - 1st Intercontinental Final
Phil - 1st Overseas Final
Neil - 3rd Commonwealth Final
Steve - 1st, erm, in a GB Junior Grasstrack Final?

But I can't help the nagging suspicion that Les's purple patch in 82 which resulted in the Intercontinental title and finishing 2nd in the World Final (and let's be honest, he really should have won it), owed a fair bit to having a the fastest bike. For whatever reason, that Jawa was ticking over brilliantly. Faster than Penhall's Eddie Bull-tuned Weslake, faster than anyone else. Les never reached those heights again, he was never an automatic for England and only ever averaged 8 at best in the BL. Loved watching him though. One of my favourite moments was seeing live the opening race of the Edinburgh - Glasgow KO Cup Final in 94? It was packed at Powderhall and Les brought the house down by rounding both Robert Nagy and Mick Powell on the last bend to win.

Edited by falcace

4 hours ago, falcace said:

I wouldn't ask anyone outside to debate that. The anorak in me likes the age ranking order alongside their biggest achievements...

Peter - 1st World Final
Les - 1st Intercontinental Final
Phil - 1st Overseas Final
Neil - 3rd Commonwealth Final
Steve - 1st, erm, in a GB Junior Grasstrack Final?

But I can't help the nagging suspicion that Les's purple patch in 82 which resulted in the Intercontinental title and finishing 2nd in the World Final (and let's be honest, he really should have won it), owed a fair bit to having a the fastest bike. For whatever reason, that Jawa was ticking over brilliantly. Faster than Penhall's Eddie Bull-tuned Weslake, faster than anyone else. Les never reached those heights again, he was never an automatic for England and only ever averaged 8 at best in the BL. Loved watching him though. One of my favourite moments was seeing live the opening race of the Edinburgh - Glasgow KO Cup Final in 94? It was packed at Powderhall and Les brought the house down by rounding both Robert Nagy and Mick Powell on the last bend to win.

My cheekier take on them:

Peter made World Champion

Les made World Runner-up

Phil made the World Final

Neil made the British Final

Steve made the tea

• Haha 1

Andersson - Jan, Bjorn, Bengt, Stefan, Ake, Dennis, Joel, Eric, Daniel, Marcus, Jonas...

Andersen - Jan, Frank, Brian, Kasper, Hans, Morten, Anders...