British Speedway Forum
Sign in to follow this  
Nobblytriers

The Repair Shop BBC1 8pm Weds 5th Jan

Hi all and Happy New Year.

This week in the repair shop there is an old speedway related item being restored.  Depending on which newspaper you get the information from, it is either a pair of boots that evoke bittersweet memories or a bedraggled piece of material that turns out to be a vintage speedway bib that played a crucial role in one family's history.
Could be an interesting watch.  At the very least we get a mention on the beeb!

• Thanks 3

looking forward to this . could be a west ham bib , 

have a guess speedway fans .

Edited by jenga

Pair of racing boots. On today's show there was a scrap book with an action drawing of a speedway rider, or as the restorer called a scooter.:blink:

• Like 1

I'm sure it was mentioned in Peter Oaks "Off the beaten track" pages within the Speedway Star. It is a race jacket & it has letters rather than a number on the rear. It is believed that the whole team wore their initials rather than a number. I can't remember what team it was but Bristol seems to be sticking in my head.

12 hours ago, Technik said:

I'm sure it was mentioned in Peter Oaks "Off the beaten track" pages within the Speedway Star. It is a race jacket & it has letters rather than a number on the rear. It is believed that the whole team wore their initials rather than a number. I can't remember what team it was but Bristol seems to be sticking in my head.

Harringay used Initials instead of letters for awhile. I've got Lloyd Goffe's Racers jacket in my collection.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, cityrebel said:

Harringay used Initials instead of letters for awhile. I've got Lloyd Goffe's Racers jacket in my collection.

One rider, Vic Duggen, did not have his initials for a good reason. He just had Vic on his bib.

• Like 2
  • Haha 4

On the synopsis it says its a pair of Speedway Boots, wonder whose?  Olle Nygren wore distinctive ones and he passed away last year, could it be his boots?

12 hours ago, hammer1969 said:

On the synopsis it says its a pair of Speedway Boots, wonder whose?  Olle Nygren wore distinctive ones and he passed away last year, could it be his boots?

If I remember they were blue with a white design on the front.

Edited by tyretrax

Both items have been quoted in copies of the Speedway Star dated Dec 18 & Dec 25 in Mr Oakes pages.

I remember Lloyd Goffe he had a motor cycle shop in Berkshire I belive in Twyford just outside Reading it was very popular with the whizz kids of the 70s & 80s 

• Like 1

17 hours ago, Technik said:

I've got an ancient Bristol Bulldogs race jacket with F on the back, could it be Fred Tuck?

I've got a BSPA rule book..... but I think it's well beyond repair! :rolleyes:

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

looks like they are still using that rulebook . thats progress for ya .

just found out the item they are going to repair is a box . you know the type that cricketers and speedway riders wear to protect their jewels . wonder who is going to work on that little item ? face masks will be mandatory .

9 hours ago, Chris116 said:

One rider, Vic Duggen, did not have his initials for a good reason. He just had Vic on his bib.

It's true that Harrigay did have the riders' initials on the racejackets, all except Vic Duggan.   However I believe he had a star on his, not "Vic".

I did also see that today, Wednesday 5th, on talking pictures ( on Sky & Freeview, not sure about Virgin) at 3:05 there is a programme called Travellers Yarn which makes mention of speedway in its description. It looks to be a programme about tyre development in general, and specifically rayon in tyres.

Looks like it is a pair of speedway boots - to be featured on BBC1 "This Morning programme"  this morning Wednesday.-