British Speedway Forum
Sign in to follow this  
iainb

NSS - South Stand

Probably my favourite place to watch Speedway from...

But it's rather unimaginatively named. I know there's a Peter Craven Suite in the main stand but is there anything to commemorate the 2 men responsible for actually making the NSS happen? How about a Chris Morton Stand and Dave Gordon Pit Building? Mort is a legend of the club and doesn't seem to have any recognition. It seems strange that Peter Craven gets all of the accolades yet Mort and the other PC get nowt (that I know of)

• Like 1

On 1/4/2022 at 1:34 PM, iainb said:

Probably my favourite place to watch Speedway from...

But it's rather unimaginatively named. I know there's a Peter Craven Suite in the main stand but is there anything to commemorate the 2 men responsible for actually making the NSS happen? How about a Chris Morton Stand and Dave Gordon Pit Building? Mort is a legend of the club and doesn't seem to have any recognition. It seems strange that Peter Craven gets all of the accolades yet Mort and the other PC get nowt (that I know of)

I’m not sure if you’re being ironic matching David Gordon with the pits…..

But certainly some acknowledgement of the importance to Belle Vue of Chris Morton and Peter Collins is long overdue

I witnessed the hard work Mort put into  selling bricks at Cardiff  IMO there would be no  NSS without his efforts ,I  can't understand why he is not involved in some way in the sport now .I have read all that went on but firmly believe that he acted in good faith and in the best interest of the whole project ,IMO he is one of the all time greats of British s/way and  has been treated appalingly .His name being honoured somewhere in the NSS is the least that could be done .

Edited by FAST GATER
  • Like 3

I'm not really familiar about what happened to Mort, I hope hasn't been bankrupted or anything

1 hour ago, ch958 said:

I'm not really familiar about what happened to Mort, I hope hasn't been bankrupted or anything

I've just listened to part 2 of his interview on the 5-1 speedway show where he goes into detail about the NSS, which is why I posted this. Without Mort & Gordon there would be no NSS.

1 hour ago, ch958 said:

I understand he lost his house over it.  No doubt someone will correct me if this is wrong but it was a bit more than pub gossip. It camefrom a member of a clubs management team.

23 minutes ago, iainb said:

I've just listened to part 2 of his interview on the 5-1 speedway show where he goes into detail about the NSS, which is why I posted this. Without Mort & Gordon there would be no NSS.

Mort and Gordon’s efforts over a period of years were enormous. The way they were treated was disgraceful.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

47 minutes ago, E I Addio said:

Mort and Gordon’s efforts over a period of years were enormous. The way they were treated was disgraceful.

Chris Morton, David Gordon and George Carswell were treated very badly by the BSPA.  It was shown that the problems of that year were caused by Manchester Council and their inept contractors, yet all 3 lost their promoters licences. 

Mort still does visit the NSS on occasions, especially the Peter Craven meeting, as he owns the Peter Craven Trophy, but still allows the club to present it to the winner each year.

3 minutes ago, PotteringAround said:

Chris Morton, David Gordon and George Carswell were treated very badly by the BSPA.  It was shown that the problems of that year were caused by Manchester Council and their inept contractors, yet all 3 lost their promoters licences. 

Mort still does visit the NSS on occasions, especially the Peter Craven meeting, as he owns the Peter Craven Trophy, but still allows the club to present it to the winner each year.

Thanks for that information . It’s very sad, after the way they struggled with Kirky Lane. In a way it seems to encapsulate everything that is chronically wrong with the sport.

• Like 3

It seems a strange one that The Queen can honour Mort but nobody in Speedway or at Belle Vue can... And I bet The Queen has never been to the NSS!

• Like 2

1 hour ago, iainb said:

It seems a strange one that The Queen can honour Mort but nobody in Speedway or at Belle Vue can... And I bet The Queen has never been to the NSS!

I bet "One" used to go to "Ones" local track though.....

Took her kids too probably...:D

As for Mort, and Dave Gordon, their legacy is quite conceivably the best race track in the world..

Even if it isnt officially recognised, that will always be the case..

• Like 4

2 hours ago, iainb said:

And I bet The Queen has never been to the NSS!

Not the NSS, but she did go to Hyde Road.   Did a bit of flagging on the centre green at one meeting.

bvqueen.jpg

• Haha 2

15 hours ago, E I Addio said:

I listened to the 5-1 show interview and it’s incredible the problems and hurdles Gordon and Mort had to get over which took 10 years to get NSS built which was the biggest thing to happen in recent history of speedway ever. They should write a book and also expose the treachery of the BSPA that Mort alluded to in the show.

• Like 5

45 minutes ago, Speedtiger said:

I listened to the 5-1 show interview and it’s incredible the problems and hurdles Gordon and Mort had to get over which took 10 years to get NSS built which was the biggest thing to happen in recent history of speedway ever. They should write a book and also expose the treachery of the BSPA that Mort alluded to in the show.

Do you have a link to the 5-1 one show. I'd like to listen to it. Thanks

32 minutes ago, coldace said:

Do you have a link to the 5-1 one show. I'd like to listen to it. Thanks

I think it's usually on YouTube if you give it a search

https://youtu.be/v4e3aD8WZC4

Edited by iainb
  • Thanks 1